Motorcycle class Hub Motor

The dirt bike will be fantastic Mark! the battery box is special also...just one thing please please please can we lose the checker plate (diamond plate) and replace it with just straight plane aluminium pleeeease? time frame before shes up and running Mark?
Best of luck with the remainder of the build anywayz...

KiM

Doctorbass said:
Mark,
Knuckle said that you may be working on a NON SKEWED motor (JUST STRAIGHT) to be able to make the DELTA WYE operating?
If so.. I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO GET ONE!.. It appear that it also could give more torque?
Steveo and me found some DPDT relay of 80A DC ( probably 100A+ in AC) in the BOSH car 12V style.
These already can fit into a 9C motor ( 6 relay).. so i guess that in this motor it is almost possible!.. More room...
So just imagine how it could be to have the Delta-WYE relay integrated IN the motor... and just having two added little wires out of the motor to switch from one mode to the other!
A REAL POWERFULL two speed electric transmission hub motor !.. probably it would be the most advanced and powerfull electric hub motor!

What do you think?

Doc
:wink: Doc/Steveo ... I'll keep bugging Mark.
Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

PS Doc/Steveo ... Maybe just one extra wire since the halls and relays can operate from a common GND wire out of the hub.
I love the idea of On-The-Fly Delta/Wye. We need to explore this further.

PSS Oh yea. Nice bat box Mark! Sweet! :)

markcycle said:
It just takes money
maybe I need to hitch a ride on the endless sphere donate button :lol:
I'm in for $1 USD! :D

whats your paypal ... your email? I'll give it a shot.

Oh Yes. I'm BAD! 8)

Mark, are you still offering the service of sending you the swingarm for proper spacing of the motor? I finally got some time from work to get to the shop and start working on the Katana again. Got it stripped down to the frame and got the swingarm off.

swingarm.jpg

Jay64 said:
Mark, are you still offering the service of sending you the swingarm for proper spacing of the motor? I finally got some time from work to get to the shop and start working on the Katana again. Got it stripped down to the frame and got the swingarm off.

Of course send her in
dear I ask, Hows the battery pack progressing
Mark

I've got most of them connected in sub packs, now I'm trying to work on some ways to build some casings around each sub pack. Trying to figure out how to mount them in the frame without shorting them out and decided my best bet was to build a plastic casing around each subpack and then mount them like I would an SLA batt. Working with some plexiglass at the moment. Doing some testing on adhesives etc. Once I figure out which adhesive works best I should be able to bang the rest out fairly quickly. I've been spending a lot of time just sitting on the shop floor next to the bike with a subpack in my hand, holding it in the frame. Turning it, shifting it, flipping it. Trying to figure out what configuration will afford me the most batteries. Looks like I should have no problem fitting the whole pack into the main frame area. I know this way will add more weight to the bike, but since I plan on pushing things at the track, it will offer the cells better protection.
When I was tearing the bike down, I took out the battery box and there is a ton of space in that spot now. Should easily be able to fit the controller in there. I already have the gas tank bottom cut out, so I was planning on putting the controller up in there, but I may have enough room down in the frame to fit it. But then again, maybe I will still put the controller up in the hollow tank and just buy more batts to fit where the stock batt box was. :lol:

I'm looking at the wiring harness and gonna do the old race strip. Pull out all non essential wires, but keep the ones I still need for operations. However, I should be able to strip out quite a bit more then we normally take out. Also looking into doing some race tweaks to the suspension. Trying to see if I can find a year where the GSXR forks were close. Hoping I can just switch out the steering stem and put a set of GSXR 600 forks on.

Oh yeah, this thread has turned into a bit of a monster. I can't find the posts about how you are doing the brakes. Are you using the stock calipers and the rotors, or just the stock rotors? I seem to remember you doing the brakes so that disk brakes could be used on a originally drum braked bike. Reason I am asking is because the stock rear caliper is rusted to hell. I would like to just toss the whole thing. Actually, I think I can get a race brembo caliper for like $80, I might go that route regardless.

Jay64 said:
Oh yeah, this thread has turned into a bit of a monster. I can't find the posts about how you are doing the brakes. Are you using the stock calipers and the rotors, or just the stock rotors? I seem to remember you doing the brakes so that disk brakes could be used on a originally drum braked bike. Reason I am asking is because the stock rear caliper is rusted to hell. I would like to just toss the whole thing. Actually, I think I can get a race brembo caliper for like $80, I might go that route regardless.

I have a custom universal design that mounts the caliper to the axle of the motor combined with the torque arm. Its not the greatest caliper
If you got spec's on the brembo I should be able to mount it in a similar way
Edit I would make the torque arm out of steel for a racing bike

Mark

Attachments

• 100_2040_S.jpg
    100_2040_S.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 3,068
So THAT'S what you were working on today! :eek:
(Awesome Sunny Sunday on Wrong Island Today Too!)

OMFG! Me want try it. :)

100V-15AH LiPo? Not bad. BUT WE WANT MORE! :twisted:

PS ... That's the 603 motor with a Kelly controller I presume? Pulling 10C off the bats?

This thread ... 22,284 views! :shock:

Knuckles said:
So THAT'S what you were working on today! :eek:
(Awesome Sunny Sunday on Wrong Island Today Too!)

100V-15AH LiPo? Not bad. BUT WE WANT MORE! :twisted:

PS ... That's the 603 motor with a Kelly controller I presume? Pulling 10C off the bats?

So give me a call and come on by

Mark

DUDE! KNARLY!

[youtube]8QDz8Z_DpMw[/youtube]

michaelplogue said:
We all need to pitch in so Mark can get some longer legs - so he can do a proper burn-out! :p :wink:

If it only took money you'd be looking way up at me

But; because of the work I'm doing i hope your looking up to me.

Mark

Hello Mark I just have a few questions for using your motor.

For using your 603 motor you say the max voltage you rate it is 144 volts. I am trying to work out how many thunder sky batteries I can use in series to power the motor for maximum speed (aiming at least 65mph) and volts (trying not to use the 602 motor for better low speed power and efficiency).

The rated max volts of a battery from thunder sky is 4.2volts so 144/4.2 gives me only 34 batteries?
This does not seem correct so rather than be confused ill go straight to the source and ask how many Thundersky batteries you would say as a maximum for your motor.

Also on this note would a 144v Kelly controller be able to handle that many as again it appears to have a maximum voltage of 180v only giving 42 using thundersky maximum voltages (not that I want to be that close to the limit!).
You have any advice on how to approach this?

Now that’s all done great to see all the good work your doing.
Tim.

Are you looking for maximum speed or somewhere around 65mph? If your goal is about 65mph, then you definately don't need to get 144v. When I rode Mark's test bike we got it up to 80mph and I think he was running around 100v. Granted, I believe we were using the 602 motor, but even with the 603, you should be able to get over 65mph at less then 144v.

TimothyJForde said:
Hello Mark I just have a few questions for using your motor.

For using your 603 motor you say the max voltage you rate it is 144 volts. I am trying to work out how many thunder sky batteries I can use in series to power the motor for maximum speed (aiming at least 65mph) and volts (trying not to use the 602 motor for better low speed power and efficiency).

The rated max volts of a battery from thunder sky is 4.2volts so 144/4.2 gives me only 34 batteries?
This does not seem correct so rather than be confused ill go straight to the source and ask how many Thundersky batteries you would say as a maximum for your motor.

Also on this note would a 144v Kelly controller be able to handle that many as again it appears to have a maximum voltage of 180v only giving 42 using thundersky maximum voltages (not that I want to be that close to the limit!).
You have any advice on how to approach this?

Now that’s all done great to see all the good work your doing.
Tim.

The spec sheet for the Thunder-Sky cells is a mistake. They should be charged to a max of 3.7v/cell, and they quickly drop off to 3.2-3.3v/cell once in discharge.
The 144v kelly can take 180v peak, so about 47-48TS cells is the max string you would want to use, and then only charge to 3.65/cell to keep a little safety margin.

One of many interesting builds using the EnerTrac motorcycle in wheel motor
Customer comment "Driving performance is very good" His range seems really good as his first ride was 70Km but no hard data yet
controller is the recommended KBL12401I
He claims
32 cell Lipo 64AH

Mark

Attachments

• E-Cagiva.jpg
    E-Cagiva.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,943
That's interesting Mark. My bike uses exactly the same swingarm and brake setup as the bike you've pictured (a Cagiva Mito). Did it take much work to fit your torque arm and the brake disc?

Malcolm said:
That's interesting Mark. My bike uses exactly the same swingarm and brake setup as the bike you've pictured (a Cagiva Mito). Did it take much work to fit your torque arm and the brake disc?

I sold him the standard package which includes the intergrated disc brake. He did the rest I heard no complaints and it looks like its in stock form, he may have bent the torque are to conform to the angle of the arms.

This is the standard package I sell

Attachments

• 603 setup.jpg
    603 setup.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 3,419
Mark,
Looking good, I'm still fabricatiing as fast as my schedule allows. I hope to have a "roll test" in about 3 weeks and of course updated pic's? My offer still holds however If you care to get me a rim, and a dead motor so I can try a different "lacing" pattern.
Regards
John Head

EnerTrac build the drive system for the Volta by Hammaread Industries including the battery box mounted it all and wired the bike. The concept and design of the Motorcycle is by Hammearhead Industries
http://hammarhead.com/

The spec

Motor EnerTrac 602 in a 18 inch rim with Disc brake kit
Batteries Thundersky 32 cell 60 AH with Elite Power solutions provided cell balancers and chargers
Controller Kelly KBL12401I Regen active
Throttle Magaur

Attachments

• DSC_0330_S.jpg
    DSC_0330_S.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 3,313
  • Battery box building.jpg
    Battery box building.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 3,316
Wired.com article
The Volta 102 is not your typical motorcycle. But James Hammarhead is not your typical motorcycle builder.
hammarhead-volta-03.jpg

Hammarhead is a clinical neuropsychologist and expert in fMRI paradigm design. When he isn’t doing research at University of Pennsylvania, you’ll find him riding or wrenching on an old-school motorcycle. He’s got a thing for British bikes and usually has a project in the works.

That passion for vintage iron led him to launch Hammarhead Industries, a boutique builder creating retro British bikes with a twist.

And, in one case, a cord.

The Volta 102 that Hammarhead built in just three months is one in a growing field of electric street bikes but the first to go retro.

The Volta 102 is not your typical motorcycle. But James Hammarhead is not your typical motorcycle builder.

Hammarhead is a clinical neuropsychologist and expert in fMRI paradigm design. When he isn’t doing research at University of Pennsylvania, you’ll find him riding or wrenching on an old-school motorcycle. He’s got a thing for British bikes and usually has a project in the works.

That passion for vintage iron led him to launch Hammarhead Industries, a boutique builder creating retro British bikes with a twist.

And, in one case, a cord.

The Volta 102 that Hammarhead built in just three months is one in a growing field of electric street bikes but the first to go retro.
Read Morehttp://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/05/hammarhead-volta/#ixzz0noEDAHgS

Back