My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Yes, this change is helpful to hold the battery better.

barbarossa said:
Hello,
also bought a Frey AM1000 one month ago - and still love it. it is really a cool bike...

concerning the battery lock:
i dont think that a longer bolt will solve the problem because the hole in the battery would have to be deeper which is not the case i think.
but i recognized that the bolt of the lock was adjusted. it is not curved at the end anymore. i think this little adjustment might prevent unwanted openings or am i wrong ?

Marmalade said:
... can anyone suggest an appropriate LED light (front/rear) for this bike, that is removable for the trails?

How is everyone finding their AM1000? Still not too many reviews/videos on it.

Still waiting on the arrival - I don't think there are too many out there - sort of a niche market

..so what tools/spares does everyone carry with them (links)? With the range of the 21ah batt, getting stuck in the middle of nowhere could be really interesting...

Hi All,

I have been riding my am1000 for about 400km now over the past two months loving and hating it.
In the meantime, I've had my share of problems as well. All in all I love the bike, but so far this has happened chronologically:
1) gear sensor was not installed as requested - one was send to me for me to install
2) battery fell out of the holder when the top plastic part broke (after I warned them 1 or 2 screws is not enough to hold it in place) - new top part was send to me with a longer locking pin, damage to the housing of the battery is minor but doesn't look new anymore.
3) rear suspension broke, one of the rods broke in half - new one was send to me with new bearings
4) kickstand broke off - replacement bolts were given
5) chainlength was not adjusted for the sram ex1 cassette - new one was send
6) novatec freewheel hub snapped in half - compensation to buy my own rear wheel
7) rear axle snapped in half - replacement was send
8) the left brake lever snapped during a fall (not even a serious crash) - bought a new set myself

But on the other side of things, this system is capable of 45-50km/h top speed for ~30km. If avg is 30km/h you get about 40km range (with 850 height meters). I have two 52v batteries that can take me for a collective 4h cycle ride covering about 80km and 1.7km in height (human pedalling included). On sram's ex1 biggest gear it can climb the steepest hills (30-45%) if you can keep your balance and traction. Anything that is steeper will throw you backwards. I do have a dropper post installed but had to forcefully clamp it because the diameter was slightly larger than 31.9mm as advertised.

More details about the bike:
Lyrik 160mm front fork
Deluxe RL rear suspension
SRAM ex1 upgrade
203mm rotors front and back
front pads upgraded to magura MT7 race variant (they are compatible)
150mm dropper seatpost internally routed
first trips were done with the original wheels (rekon 2.8+) but switched to minion DHF 2.5 and DHR II 2.4 WT version and DH casing in the rear.
52v 17.5ah battery and limited the controller to 25Amps

new parts are:
DT swiss H 1900 35 mm
Robert axle project replacement rear thru axle

Hardcore said:
Hi All,

I have been riding my am1000 for about 400km now over the past two months loving and hating it.
In the meantime, I've had my share of problems as well. All in all I love the bike, but so far this has happened chronologically:
1) gear sensor was not installed as requested - one was send to me for me to install
2) battery fell out of the holder when the top plastic part broke (after I warned them 1 or 2 screws is not enough to hold it in place) - new top part was send to me with a longer locking pin, damage to the housing of the battery is minor but doesn't look new anymore.
3) rear suspension broke, one of the rods broke in half - new one was send to me with new bearings
4) kickstand broke off - replacement bolts were given
5) chainlength was not adjusted for the sram ex1 cassette - new one was send
6) novatec freewheel hub snapped in half - compensation to buy my own rear wheel
7) rear axle snapped in half - replacement was send
8) the left brake lever snapped during a fall (not even a serious crash) - bought a new set myself

But on the other side of things, this system is capable of 45-50km/h top speed for ~30km. If avg is 30km/h you get about 40km range (with 850 height meters). I have two 52v batteries that can take me for a collective 4h cycle ride covering about 80km and 1.7km in height (human pedalling included). On sram's ex1 biggest gear it can climb the steepest hills (30-45%) if you can keep your balance and traction. Anything that is steeper will throw you backwards. I do have a dropper post installed but had to forcefully clamp it because the diameter was slightly larger than 31.9mm as advertised.

More details about the bike:
Lyrik 160mm front fork
Deluxe RL rear suspension
SRAM ex1 upgrade
203mm rotors front and back
front pads upgraded to magura MT7 race variant (they are compatible)
150mm dropper seatpost internally routed
first trips were done with the original wheels (rekon 2.8+) but switched to minion DHF 2.5 and DHR II 2.4 WT version and DH casing in the rear.
52v 17.5ah battery and limited the controller to 25Amps

new parts are:
DT swiss H 1900 35 mm
Robert axle project replacement rear thru axle

That is a frightening list, on the first read through for only 400km traveled. Are you trail riding or where these on road incidents?

I usually take it on the local mountains for downhill and trial riding. The terrain is rough here and I do push it to the limits

Just got notice that mine shipped :)

Hardcore said:
I usually take it on the local mountains for downhill and trial riding. The terrain is rough here and I do push it to the limits
Hey Hardcore,

I upgraded my AM1000 wheels to Stan's Sentry MK3 with Hope Pro 4 hubs and took almost 2.5lbs off of rotational weight. After doing that my distance went from 45 miles to 60 miles on PAS 1. Food for thought as rotational weight is one place where you can benefit the most.

Fred

Drop Dead Fred said:
Hardcore said:
Hey Hardcore,

I upgraded my AM1000 wheels to Stan's Sentry MK3 with Hope Pro 4 hubs and took almost 2.5lbs off of rotational weight. After doing that my distance went from 45 miles to 60 miles on PAS 1. Food for thought as rotational weight is one place where you can benefit the most.

Fred

I'm talking mainly trail kilometres, on flats I can go 40km on PAS4/5, just don't have the patience to check the range on pas1 :wink: but you are right, rotational mass plays a role, so does the tyre rolling resistance (pressure/thread), wind conditions, rider positioning and weight, human input, you name it. Hence I don't really go into the whole range discussion as it is too difficult to compare. All I can tell you is that I get tired before the bike runs out of juice, especially with two batteries working on full throttle.

Cheers

Hardcore said:
Drop Dead Fred said:
Hardcore said:
Hey Hardcore,

Fred

I'm talking mainly trail kilometres, on flats I can go 40km on PAS4/5, just don't have the patience to check the range on pas1 :wink: but you are right, rotational mass plays a role, so does the tyre rolling resistance (pressure/thread), wind conditions, rider positioning and weight, human input, you name it. Hence I don't really go into the whole range discussion as it is too difficult to compare. All I can tell you is that I get tired before the bike runs out of juice, especially with two batteries working on full throttle.

Cheers
It sounds like, much like myself, you are having a wonderful time riding your bike!

Keep enjoying it!

Marmalade said:
trooper5707 said:
Just got notice that mine shipped :)

How long did yours take Troops? I've been waiting 3 weeks and not even a pic!

Ordered June 11 - Glad to see you got some details! Love that color!

37724300_10214700315799659_4792722240028278784_n (1).jpgView attachment 137695170_10214700315959663_5813934213111480320_n.jpg

Here is mine - Can't say I care for the text on the tires, I will prob swap them.

I'm in mid negotiations with Ivy re. a Frey AM1000. Trying to work in some upgrades (SRAM Ex 1 groupset, gear sensor, larger battery, forks, etc.) and color choice. With luck, I'll place the final order this week.

My question is how hard was it to assemble? I have never put together a bicycle before, much less one with a motor. I've always bought used bikes and the shop had them assembled, tuned, tightened up and ready to ride. Should I go through every nut and bolt to double check tightness or does it come pretty checked out? Do I have to do more than put on the bars and front wheel?

THANKS for any info.

eltee said:
My question is how hard was it to assemble? I have never put together a bicycle before, much less one with a motor.

get the front wheel in. Screw in the bars. That's kinda it.

AM1000 assy here:

[youtube]8AExCcTGF2w[/youtube]

I do like the stealthiness of the black frame..and seems they are using the same wall in all their photos :)

What front light did you spec Troops?

Ivanovitch, how is your battery rebuild going?

Ivanovitch_k said:
eltee said:
My question is how hard was it to assemble? I have never put together a bicycle before, much less one with a motor.

get the front wheel in. Screw in the bars. That's kinda it.

THANKS, took some of the anxiety out of the transaction.

The upgrade to the SRAM Ex 1 groupset was more than I could afford, $458.00 US so I will have to drop that option. :(

Otherwise, finishing up the ordering process tonight.

+1 it's a crazy price for an upgrade and it would make for a really bad day if the derailleur got damaged from a rock.. replacement is not cheap! But the EX1 is certainly one that everyone drools over owning and using.

eltee said:
The upgrade to the SRAM Ex 1 groupset was more than I could afford, $458.00 US so I will have to drop that option. :(

Otherwise, finishing up the ordering process tonight.

Marmalade said:
+1 it's a crazy price for an upgrade and it would make for a really bad day if the derailleur got damaged from a rock.. replacement is not cheap! But the EX1 is certainly one that everyone drools over owning and using.

Guys I wouldn't sweat the EX1 as I've been reading that SRAM is going away from it to the new GX system as they say the chain and derailleur seem to handle it no problem. Plus with as you say the price premium manufacturers were shying away too.

Also have had my 1 x 11 for 3 months now and not one issue with shifting.

Where did you read this? I'm interested to learn more. I think the EX1 is a great concept. Strong, simple. Etc. Double shifting is a problem with 1x11 or 1x12. Who really needs 11 gears on an ebike.

Andy

Animalector said:
Where did you read this? I'm interested to learn more. I think the EX1 is a great concept. Strong, simple. Etc. Double shifting is a problem with 1x11 or 1x12. Who really needs 11 gears on an ebike.

Andy
Truly is personal preference as I really like my 1 x 11 setup on my AM1000.

To be honest did not mark the page I read it on as I read so many throughout the day... I just said hmm that is interesting. Also when I read what Specialized was doing and also learned the GX shifter is the same as the EX only allowing one shift at a time gave me another hmmm. So I get the same enhanced shifting with $400.00 less in cost. Copied the below statement from ebike-mtb.com review of 2018 Carbon Turbo Levo. While it does say custom GX, will have to see if that prevails in the future.

"Specialized have given the more affordable Levo modes a custom GX shifter, which relies on the 1X technology of the SRAM EX1 drivetrain and only permits you to shift through one gear per flick of the lever. This results in substantial increases to the longevity of the drivetrain (keyword: broken chains)."

Back