My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

jeron said:
I am looking for a dropper post. I think i can get away with a 175mm dropper in the L frame. But i don't know, 175mm is so much travel. What amount of travel are you guys running?

Also, my cassette lock ring was not tightened enough, i had some noise from the back wheel from the start that i couldn't identify, today i found out the lockring was so loose i could adjust it with my hand! After tightening the lockring it felt like a whole different bike! So careful tighten everything when receiving the bike.

The problems i had:
- No grease in the headset/tube
- Screw of the derailleur was totally loose, it almost fell off after the first ride!
- Loose lockring (it needs 40Nm..)
- The screws of the rear disk brake were loose... There was a lot of play, all the screws where hand loose.

I identified the loose lockring and rear disk brakes after +-600km, so i don't know if it was a factory fault.

Don't get me wrong, its a great bike, just inspect everything carefully!

I found only my rear derailleur to be loose upon receiving the bike. These things could happen even with German-made Canyons. Believe me...

Did you check the headset whether it was just a normal 1.5” to 1.125”? I’m planning to upgrade my RST Renegade since it doesn’t work very well in less than +10 C. Almost no dampening in cold so I need to move on to Wren.

I have a Magura Vyron eLect dropper post in 150mm. It’s great since no cableing required. The price wasn’t too bad either. 350€. Battery life in this thing is insane. I get 6 months from both the post and the transmitter. You can’t install a dropper with in-frame cableing since the seat tube is closed off from the motor compartment. I’m 198 cm tall and have friends that are 165 cm. 150mm drop is enough even for this kind of massive difference in tallness.

BTW did you check that there’s no water build-up in your seat tube? Frey hasn’t drilled drainage holes to seat tubes. I found mine full of water after some rain rides back in fall. You need to drill a 1mm drainage hole into it just above the motor compartment.

Hi, I installed an "internally" routed 170 mm dropper using the hole at the bottom in the seat-tube and from there I went back internally through the frame. (I wish I had bought a vyron dropper - fewer cables) Checking bolts is always important, some might need loc-tight. I'm 177 cm and the drop is more than enough for any height rider to take a spin on the bike, as well as dropping it way out the way for those tricky downhill parts.

Hardcore said:
Hi, I installed an "internally" routed 170 mm dropper using the hole at the bottom in the seat-tube and from there I went back internally through the frame. (I wish I had bought a vyron dropper - fewer cables) Checking bolts is always important, some might need loc-tight. I'm 177 cm and the drop is more than enough for any height rider to take a spin on the bike, as well as dropping it way out the way for those tricky downhill parts.

Interesting. The FAT1000’s frame doesn’t have such a hole. In my bike the seat tube is just a hermetically sealed tube.

Nice! IMO the CC is the most unique bike of Frey. A true ”sleeper” and by all means an interesting combination between offroad and city-bike.

I wonder why there isn’t globally more buzz around this bike... Where can you get this type of bike for just 3k€ and quality parts? CC is pricepoint-wise a global leader on this segment.

My HT1000 that I purchased through the US group buy arrived today. Any others in the group buy should be getting their bike soon I would think.

adjustable velcro straps.. I use two each on both the am1000 and the m600, perfect. 400mm (measure to be sure)

I also use the adjustable Velcro straps, one per battery in the top half of the battery. Never had a problem on 4 different Frey bikes and one FLX.

I’ve had so serious rattleing of the battery that it shuts the bike off due to loss of contact. I’ve tried to turn the battery connector’s bolt to make the connector stick out more. No help. Though the rattleing and cutoff issues became more rare. Connector pins are clean.

Well I guess that the neoprene battery sleeve will be needed...

Hi Flyingfinn, i had the same type of issue in the beginning. What i ended up doing was putting a 4x4cm2 piece of innertyre at the bottom before putting the battery.
And yes, velcro all around is always good.

Cheers

Hardcore said:
Hi Flyingfinn, i had the same type of issue in the beginning. What i ended up doing was putting a 4x4cm2 piece of innertyre at the bottom before putting the battery.
And yes, velcro all around is always good.

Cheers

Thanks for the tip. You mean in the bottom bracket of the battery or between the frame and battery?

Sinbord1981 said:
[YouTube]ZC92Fa4CYQo[/youtube]

Hi Simon, in your video the Frey CC has a breakinkg light... I have just ordered the EX via the "Frey is with you" Campaign, with front and rear lights: does the rear light now have the breaking light function by default? I had asked for a breaking light several times before placing my order, but Frey never reacted, so I assumed it wasn't feasible.
BR, 18650

Marmalade said:
adjustable velcro straps.. I use two each on both the am1000 and the m600, perfect. 400mm (measure to be sure)

Hmm i can't find this type velcro anywhere to order here in Belgium. Where did you purchased it?

Hi all, I have a question for Australian Frey buyers about shipping. I'm in contact with Frey and have been given a sea freight price, subject to me being able to "accept customs clearance and pick up the goods" myself.

Is this something normal people can do? I mean can I just go to a port to collect stuff?

What additional costs are there here? I'm assuming I must pay at least the GST on the import before they release it to me.

I'm assuming if I went with a freight company like UPS it's door to door and I don't worry about any of the above?

Freight is to Melbourne if that makes a difference.

It's certainly not an easy process, but it can be done..

The issue is knowing all the correct forms, where to go etc. how to pay port charges etc. You can get a customs clearance agent who will pick it up and hold it at their depot.. I have done this in the past and it is the least effort, with a minimal cost overhead.

Good luck
Andy

New video by Micah @ Electrek https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRGT1SAH1Es

brake034 said:
New video by Micah @ Electrek https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRGT1SAH1Es

This video spurred me to get my 2019 AM1000 out. The bike is fantastic! Although I have severe jealousy issues going because of how damn good the EX looks... It's beautiful! No battery sticking out, etc..

On the note of the battery, does anyone know where I can get a charging plug? I'm going to solder/join it up with my other chargers for my other BBSHD build. I can swap connectors with those chargers with only pulling an XT60 connector.

So anyway - just a link to the plug + wire that can be cut/spliced would be awesome. 👍

Thanks!

Another curious question... Has anyone attempted a paint respray on one of these? Or potentially a decent decal kit that can quasi transform frame color?

I'm regretting my choice of black for my AM1000 and looking to make it more "sporty" as opposed to "stealthy" 👀

😅

And I'm not sure who's ad this is, but someone hire them at Frey. Well written, professional, etc. 👍

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-mountain-e-bikes/5357/frey-am1000

**I also now want to paint mine this color... Haha

Although I may just embrace the black I signed up for and put these decals on in white:

https://www.dyedbro.com/collections/frame-protection/products/camo?variant=31431706443854

*edit: Actually... I think I might hack job it with some vinyl car wrap. 🤔

My chain is worn out: +-75%, what chain do i need to buy? I know it is a KMC e11 chain, but there are different versions (EPT, ..) and what is the chain length? How many links do i need?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Back