My BBS-02 750W / Giant Roam 0 build thread

covert

100 mW
This is the start of my Giant Roam0 build. I'm planning on getting a 8Fun/Bafang BBS02 750W crank drive for it.

I just picked her up new from the shop yesterday. I've been looking the last few weeks for the right bike and I kept coming back to the Giant 0. The Polygon Heist 5.0 was a close second but no way to test ride one. Ivanhoe cycles had them on sale for $899 so the $200 saving was the tipping point.

It's got Deore Hydrolic brakes and derailleurs. A 10 cluster at the rear. Riding on 700C rims.

I started to think I would avoid the Bafang since you don't know exactly what you will get until it arrives but I think I have found a good supplier.

Batteries will be hobbyking LiPo. Still deciding on 12S or 13S. Since the BBS02 has a 40v LVC I'm thinking 13S will be best.

Still unsure if I will go a Cycle Analyst or just stick with the built in computer.

I have a Front hub 500W/48V/10Ah MTB on loan from a mate. It has a CA on it and I find the info from it invaluable, knowing your current ride Watt per KM and Watts used makes it easy to know if you can get home at your current pace. I wish the CA could use a phones screen via Bluetooth since I always have the phone on the bars.

watch this space.

covert said:
I wish the CA could use a phones screen via Bluetooth since I always have the phone on the bars.

If that's what you want then put a speedict between the BBS02 and the battery:-

http://www.speedict.com/

Huge ES thread on it:-

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22919

Update on the build...

Decided on 15S Lipo with 5S 8000mAh Zippy 30C. Order 6 packs so I can configure in 15S2P if I want. Right on the limit of the 63V caps in the BBS-02 if the packs are hot of the charger. Will be balancing to just over 4.1v to keep it safe.

Also purchased the BBS-02 from em3ev.com since I know what I will be getting. No speed limit on Throttle. LVC of 40V. Speed limit on PAS.

Triangle Frame bag from em3ev.com since I was already placing a order there. Not the final battery mounting but will be good for testing.

The 48v bbs units have the over voltage set to 62v so you have no choice to only charge to 4.1v per cell for 15s Lipo. The unit will start up with higher than 62v but as soon as you use the throttle or pas it'll trip an over voltage error. Over voltage protection is hardware set - it can't be adjusted even in the software.

The other thing with voltage that high is you'll get surging when using the throttle on fresh batteries, only lasts for a mile or so. I guess the unit it trying to keep max amps under control.

Another thing with 15s is bear in mind that the required cadence will go up for pas modes. Power is proportional to cadence, so you'll have to spin at 90 cadence rather that 80 cadence to get max power from pas.

Regarding em3ev - has he confirmed he can adjust the lvc? I didn't think he was offering reprogramming.

amigafan2003 said:
The 48v bbs units have the over voltage set to 62v so you have no choice to only charge to 4.1v per cell for 15s Lipo. The unit will start up with higher than 62v but as soon as you use the throttle or pas it'll trip an over voltage error. Over voltage protection is hardware set - it can't be adjusted even in the software.

Thanks. I might go 14S then. Already ordered the cells, put in a order change request, at worse I can rebuilt the packs to a 14S config.

amigafan2003 said:
Another thing with 15s is bear in mind that the required cadence will go up for pas modes. Power is proportional to cadence, so you'll have to spin at 90 cadence rather that 80 cadence to get max power from pas.

Noted, will use a CA3 to override PAS via throttle controller if I'm not happy with it.

You are a wealth on knowledge on the BBS-02.

amigafan2003 said:
Regarding em3ev - has he confirmed he can adjust the lvc? I didn't think he was offering reprogramming.

em3ev indicated they cannot adjust LVC

Batteries arrived today. Checked all cells, 3.85v. Might set up a test load for them today.

There larger them I expected. I test fitted then in the fame. This is a medium frame.

amigafan2003 said:
The 48v bbs units have the over voltage set to 62v ...

If you had the choice again would you go 14S or stay with 15S ? I'm noticing some of the hobby grade watt meters are 60V max and thats one place that is making me think I should go 14S so save hassles.

Subscribed.
I just bought a Giant Roam 3, and I'm not sure what to do with it. I'll be following with interest.
I take it there is no compatibility issue with the bottom bracket ?

I use the 60v hobby meters at 63.0v HOC. They do work but they flash at you in protest. :mrgreen:
Great build so far.
What's the frame made of?

covert said:
amigafan2003 said:
The 48v bbs units have the over voltage set to 62v ...

If you had the choice again would you go 14S or stay with 15S ? I'm noticing some of the hobby grade watt meters are 60V max and thats one place that is making me think I should go 14S so save hassles.

I'd go 15s again.

My turnigy watt meter also said 60v max but it works fine on 15s (it just flashes the voltage readout if above 60v).

amigafan2003 said:
I'd go 15s again.

My turnigy watt meter also said 60v max but it works fine on 15s (it just flashes the voltage readout if above 60v).

Thanks again. Will stick with 15S.

BBS-02 arrived yesterday. Started pulling the bottom bracket apart only to find I'm missing a special bracket tool. Picked one up this afternoon. Should have a test fit tomorrow.

Got it all running only to have the PAS stop working after the previous nights test ride.

65km down a slight hill. In low gear climbing a grade I have a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground but that's not helped by a spiky throttle. I wish the end points and expo could be changed on this thing.

I'm communicating with Paul from em3ev trying to sort out the PAS not working issue. Today I removed the controler case to access the HAL wires for the PAS. No signal on the grey wire and a wave form on the white wire.

duatao said:
Nice to see this in the flesh today! And those battery packs were looking nice and pro. :)

Thanks duatao.

For the others reading the bike had a good shake down ride on Firday then a full days playing in the city on Saturday. 888Wh (6 x 8000mAh 5S) sits nicley in the bag. I'll get you some pictures soon.

I think on one earlier test ride I dropped a voltage in a single cell too low while only running 3 packs. I then later put the other 3 packs in parallel and consequently dropped a second cell under voltage. Lucky have another full set of 6 batteries for another build. I purchased another 2S to rebuild the other packs. Just waiting on the some heat shrink.

It's so much joy to ride. The trails are the best fun. Trying to find some good places to take it for a good test ride. Been filming with a head mounted goPro so should have some footage on youtube soon.

Also em3ev sent me a new PAS circuit board. Great service from them. However it didn't fix my PAS issues, just made them different. I'll update that in the BBS02 thread some time.

are you really getting over 60km in top speed, with great torque? I wonder how this compares to a 2kw hub or so.

1KW,

"are you really getting over 60km in top speed"

He did say, "down a slight hill." If he is pedaling, that is easy to do. I do it on every ride.

Given a 48-11 gearing he should see reasonable motor torque up to 48 km/hr at 90 rpm cadence. A fit rider can easily make up the difference as the motor tapers off up to 65 km/hr at 120 rpm cadence...down hill.

Slight hill with peddling, PAS level cranked all the way up to 9. Easy keep 60km on the flat with peddling. I regularly ride alongside cars in the 60km areas now.

I'm still in test and tuning. My Speedict is still causing me issues and I want to re-wire the batteries for a 3rd time to clean it up even more. Once I'm happy ill do some GPS runs with and without peddling.

Ridding with PAS set to 3 is how I ride most the time. It hold 35-39km at that setting nicely.

Time for an Update.

My bike gets used almost every day the weather suits ridding. I avoid ridding in raid but a heavy wind is no problem.

Now I have had a few issues...

Still cant get PAS working even with a new HAL board. It act like it's about to start then doesn't. Given up on that problem for now.

I bent the 11 tooth cog on the rear cluster that would cause the chain the jump using the fastest gear. I stopped using it for a while, even replaced the chain thinking it was a tight link. I brought a new cassette but I have not replaced it yet. The problem seems to have fixed itself and it's working again.

Hearing a click in the gearbox of the BBS02 when under heavy load. If I peddle harder the noise goes away. Just happened last week so I ordered a new set of gears.

Running 15S2P I killed one pair of cells twice. After rebuilding the 5S paired pack once I just ended up taking the cell out of line so now running 14S (5S,5S,4S).

I rebuilt the 5S 1P packs into 5S2P packs. Simplified the wiring a lot.

Still only have the hobbyking 240V 80W chargers. I charge Balance all the time. Still looking for a bulk charger. Trying to find one I can adjust for 14S and 15S is becoming a problem.

I replaced the seat post with a SR Suntour SP12 NCX Suspension Seat Post. Best upgrade. Had to order a sleeve to make it fit but gives a great ride.

jslabonte said:
How much mileage do you have on it so far?

1500km. I ride it like I stole it a lot and really don't treat it with care so don't take that as a real world example of how long these gears last. Not to mention I''m also running at 60v and not 48v.

The other thing with voltage that high is you'll get surging when using the throttle on fresh batteries, only lasts for a mile or so. I guess the unit it trying to keep max amps under control.

Can you explain surging?

I thought 61.5v was hvc.

I'm researching if anyone has ever over volted and killed this controller by going over 63v cap limit.

I will be going 15s soon on my dual motor build mostly concerned about making a mistake of regening with my hub 2v higher at the start of a ride. Doubt I would do it unless I drove my car to a mountain top first.

I am wondering overheating of the bafang too at higher voltages. I doubt I would as mine is touch mildly warm most the time even after climbing super steep long sections at 7kmh....

Back