My BIG ASS Battery !

majio

10 mW
:shock:

So i have this insane big LifePo4 Battery! 48V 20Ah

Its to big to put it between the frames, without to make the pedals go around :/

So i was thinking of opening the battery! and rearrange so its not so fat! if you know what i mean.

Have anyone opened batteries like this?

Gonna buy my self a Falcon Triangle Bag! put the batteries there instead!

I dont want to put the battery.. back of my bike, cause i don't feel safe when people do that.

Kinda tired to carrie 14Kg on my back in my backpack all the time.

Thanks

Should i just start to take off the carbon fiber and tear it up? look inside? :D

I know its roots down to what I end up doing,just want some insight on what kind of stuff i can find inside this battery!

I wished i just bought small RC Batteries... and this BIG ASS Battery problem would have been solved.

its taking toll on my back ! when i already stretched my back 2 years ago, it hurts so much! but its amazing how a body learns to live with it.

Wondering if its a lot of cables and wires inside the pack, like "balancers" wires .. should i just open it and send pictures?? Would that be more easy! rather then reading my faulty words ;)

Thanks

I have one 20 amp 48V plus one 10 amp 48 V in a wooden box I built (30 amp total). I strap it to the top of a rear rack (Tubus). I don't notice any problems with it, of course I've only been using it 2.5 years for 9000 miles. I average 20-24 mph, about 35 on a few downhills sections. I use it year round, with studded snow tires. The only time I ever had a problem with control was when I hit a raccoon. But the battery wasn't a factor and it stayed secure. Having it mounted on top of the rear rack makes it easy to unstrap it and carry it into the locker room to stay warm and charge while I'm at work. So I don't think it is really a problem to put it on the rear rack--certainly an improvement over carrying it on your back.

It looks to me like you have a battery in two sections. Best option is to carry in panniers, as low as practical. Or one half in the triangle, the rest on the rear.

Rear carry works better, if you have the motor up front. But carrying it low in panniers helps if you must have it all back there.

treefarmer said:
I have one 20 amp 48V plus one 10 amp 48 V in a wooden box I built (30 amp total). I strap it to the top of a rear rack (Tubus). I don't notice any problems with it, of course I've only been using it 2.5 years for 9000 miles. I average 20-24 mph, about 35 on a few downhills sections. I use it year round, with studded snow tires. The only time I ever had a problem with control was when I hit a raccoon. But the battery wasn't a factor and it stayed secure. Having it mounted on top of the rear rack makes it easy to unstrap it and carry it into the locker room to stay warm and charge while I'm at work. So I don't think it is really a problem to put it on the rear rack--certainly an improvement over carrying it on your back.
WOW - thats a lot of battery! I was going to carry by 48v15ah LIFEPO4 pack on my rear rack but "chickened out" after so many suggested to mount it in the triangle. Mine just fits there in an insulated cooler bag strapped to the top tube with two velcro straps - Very happy I did this - feels hardly there when riding.
OP - damn they look like two stereo speakers! Is the unit on the top the charger? What brand/manufacturer of battery - looks like quality construction!

The thing on the top is the BMS ( Battery Management System ) ? I think its called :D

And i have a 6A Charger that was in the same package with this Enormous beast ! its been like -20 Outside!! oO so cooold... but the battery still smiles and works.

Is the Cells very long to?? inside the package? is it Hard Plastic and loads of mackgyver tape?? before i can look inside? what tools should i use?? :shock:

Thanks

Before you start cutting, what exactly is in the two boxes?
Are the batteries in the bottom box and something more then batteries in the top?
What are the dimension of the two boxes?

Can you mount the big box in the triangle of your bike and put an extension-cord to the small box and mount the small box on your rack?

I advocate putting batteries and controller in the triangle for optimal weight distribution, but Dogman's pannier suggestion is the simplest solution. It could save you a lot of trouble.

If you want to cut open the boxes a razor knife / box cutter / or dremel tool could do it, but if you cut one of your batteries cells open you will be sorry so be careful if trying that!

dogman said:
It looks to me like you have a battery in two sections. Best option is to carry in panniers, as low as practical. Rear carry works better, if you have the motor up front. But carrying it low in panniers helps if you must have it all back there.

Yep, that's the way i carry the weight. Groceries can still fit inside each with care.

Attachments

• new hub in front of the sternwheeler.jpg
    new hub in front of the sternwheeler.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 2,402
looks to me like batteries in the larger bottom box, and charger in the smaller top one.

look at the top box, it has a 3 pin mains type socket on it.....

Jason

YEs the bottom is the battery Thats the beast that does not fit :O

Wondering if its a pain opening up everything, yes many have said i should put it back on the bike,.. but thats not stealth enough for me :p

The balance feels better when its placed in the middle..so i`ve heard.

Fact is - you have a BIG ASS battery, lol. However, unless you are familiar with battery assembly, soldering, etc - I would be hesitant to take that well constructed battery apart and risk possibly damaging it. Even disassembled, it might not fit in your triangle - if split in two equal parts then side by side in panniers might be the best option. For now I would suggest mounting it on a sturdy rack and seeing how bad it is for you - still stealth, especially if concealed in a bag. If miserable then maybe look to split into panniers or sell it and go LIPO in the triangle. I believe that a 48V15AH LIFEPO4 pack is about as big as you will fit into a triangle. My Gary Fisher has a good sized Frame and my pack just makes it...

majio said:
YEs the bottom is the battery Thats the beast that does not fit :O

Wondering if its a pain opening up everything, yes many have said i should put it back on the bike,.. but thats not stealth enough for me :p

The balance feels better when its placed in the middle..so i`ve heard.

If your willing to split the pack then I think dogman's idea of putting them in panniers is best. However, you have to be careful and have some sort of protection for the battery if your going to go this route. The problem is that if your bike falls on its side the battery pack is going to take most of the hit. You didn't say how much the pack cost but I know I wouldn't want my 20AH 48v ping to get slammed into the ground. For being stealthy and looking like a "normal bike" you won't want your triangle filled in because only ebikes fill in their triangle. It totally changes the look of the bike when the triangle is filled in. Its not uncommon for people riding normal bicycles to have rear rack trunks and panniers so this would be more stealthy but it can change handling. Its all a bunch of trade offs. Stealthiness helps your bike not get stolen but you want good handling too. Then again if your bike gets stolen handling doesn't matter (unless you want the thief to crash) :) .

If you don't want to split the pack then rear rack is probably your only option. It's not really all that bad as people make it out to be honestly. I have mine on my rear rack because I don't want to split it. However, if I bought another battery I would find a split pack.

IMG_1196a.jpg

Do not take apart the battery. I predict failure. When I have approached this problem (and believe me I have taken apart some intricate things) I swiftly realized it wasn't gonna come apart and I put the covers back together. Mount it in a pannier. There is no reason it has to be balanced - I ride all the time with 36V 15 AH battery just on one side (use two of them for longer rides) you never notice that the bike is listing to port. Put your groceries in the matching pannier on the other side.

llile said:
* snip * There is no reason it has to be balanced - I ride all the time with 36V 15 AH battery just on one side (use two of them for longer rides) you never notice that the bike is listing to port. Put your groceries in the matching pannier on the other side.

Very true, I rode this way for a year, we always carry extra stuff anyways which gets placed into the other pannier.

OHH, now I get it. When I viewed that pic, the scale was so big on my computer, I could only look at a quarter of the image at a time, and thought I saw a split pack.

Well, if you have a rear motor, get a front for starters. It might be tolerable to rack top carry it if you have a front hub. Carry low in one pannier, then put your water, spare tube, wrenches etc in the other to balance it a bit. It will be better than 20 pounds up high, plus a rear motor.

It's not that bad? Yeah I guess so if you don't corner with the throttle full on. Anything doesn't suck at 10 mph. I just have that bias towards recomendations that work up to 30 mph, including cornering that fast. Some of us do.

Taking a loss on it, you could sell it and get one that fits in the triangle.

Don't take it apart unless you really know what you are doing.

Listen I am over 240 pounds. I have been using a 48v 20ah pack myself. I have been through 2 frame types myself. One a standard light trail bike hard nose and tail. My currnent setup is on a GT full suspension setup. On both setups I have run my battery in a backpack. No matter how slick you think you are a bicycle is never going to perform right and its not mean to hold a 20-30 pound battery. When you put the battery on your person the bike will perform like a bike and not like a 2 wheeled bloated vehicle with a terrible center of gravity. I would KILL for an enclosed pack like you have there as I could stich together my own custom pack to hold it. Would you mind linking your supplier?

Quite possible that would be the best solution for street riding for a big guy.

Given your weight, a backpack carry might very well affect you very little, but it would affect lightweight guys a bit more.

I still recomend a pannier carry, to get the weight lower in the back, as the best on the bike method.

Got a welder? make a longtail out of two old steel bikes. Adjust the angles, and make a longtail with a 20" rear wheel like the new one from Surly/Grin. Then the rear deck will be nice and low.

I am about 230 lbs myself - my problem is that I already wear a pack that averages between 10 - 20 lbs - depending on what I am carrying for my commute on a given day (laptop, change of jeans, close, etc, inner tube, some tools, etc) Adding a 20#++ battery to that makes for a real heavy pack. I do find that my pack in the triangle - although handling very well makes for more difficult carrying of the bike up stairs (I have two train stops on my ride home that have to be 20-25 feet or so elevated with maybe 40 steps) and also a bit of a hassle loading sideways into the back of my small SUV (also a required part of my commute) I can easily remove the velcro straps that attach the pack to the frame before putting in the car however...

Thousands of bicycle tourists have logged millions of miles with full panniers.
It changes the way a bike handles, but it's entirely do-able. (You wouldn't expect a pick-up to handle like a sports car.)

The concept of getting the weight between the wheels is certainly the ideal -- and more necessary for certain kinds of riding (ice, mud or any traction challenge) -- but I sure hate to have anyone think that the perfect is the only way and miss out on the good of a workable solution for carrying their battery.

(20Ah on a rear rack, I find that cushioning it with closed cell foam makes the ride MUCH nicer, though the center of gravity is still high. I will note that I've logged thousands of miles with full panniers and so I'm used to weird and wonky handling . . . and my riding is nearly exclusively on smooth pavement.)

So i was thinking of swapping this battery with someone for some Small Batteries that i could put in my Triangle bag when that arrives..

So what kinda batteries should i go after? my goal is at least 48V 10Ah minimum :p my battery that i own now is 48V 20Ah .. ( Charged it 9 times atm ) Never drained it below 50v ..

Maybe someone who i know who are making batteries.. are willing to do a swap with me :p

Any good advices for some small batteries like this? i could buy?? ! :D would be appreciated!

Linking the Picture from the FalconEV thread from this site!

falconev20ah.jpg

Thanks

Okey so I took the trip downtown and found a RC Hobby Store... they said they wanted my Battery and i will get nothing from them in exchange... what the fuq??

He told me that 3 times.. :O

I asked what kinda battery i would need to buy and use in series and parallel if i wanted to build a at least 48v 20Ah as my battery is!

He told me he could do that for me and he wanted 2000$ for it... :O Oo What the fuq??

He did not even look in my eyes while we talked! he was just sitting there ! obese nerd painting his model train... what the fuq! is wrong with the service??

No help! No meeting in the middle! just me and my luck! meeting non functional people as i walk my path ..

The picture above, packs in soft foam, works for that person, but i suggest that it's not safe, the packs need hard surface protection on an ebike.... it's a matter of opinion.,

If you want big lipo pack, best to do lots of reading before you buy a single part..

start here for one example of how you could do it :
http://ypedal.com/zippy/zippy.htm

Also :
http://ypedal.com/Cyclone/cyclone4.htm
http://ypedal.com/Cyclone/cyclone5.htm

And bottom half of :
http://ypedal.com/Chaos/Chaos6.htm

read read and read some more.

Thank you! so much good info !

So i need to buy five of these?
$(KGrHqRHJEMFD1mW!-pWBQ-tNg4e7!~~60_3.JPG

Spec.
Capacity: 5000mAh
Voltage: 3S1P / 3 Cell / 11.1v
Discharge: 20C Constant / 30C Burst
Weight: 404g (including wire, plug & shrink wrap)
Dimensions: 145x52x25mm
Balance Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: 4mm Bullet-Connector

So i can make a 55V 5Ah with five of those? and get five more and parallel those and another 5Ah so it could be 10Ah :p or do i mess stuff up now?

Thanks

Back