My experience - Schwalbe Ice spiker & Snow Stud tires

electr0n

1 kW
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a couple studded tires, a Schwalbe ice spiker for the front and a Schwalbe snow stud for the rear. They were pretty expensive at $100 and $65 dollars respectively. I'm using my bike to commute to work so I needed something to handle the snow and ice we get here in Southern Ontario. I was concerned about losing studs due to the bike being electric and faster than a regular bike and especially because I tend to ride on sidewalks and up and down curbs a lot.

The roads were mostly clear for the initial 40km break in period. I took it easy and accelerated slowly and limited my top speed so the studs could set in. I haven't given them a full inspection but after two weeks of pretty aggressive riding on roads and sidewalks and I haven't noticed any missing studs. As for their performance they've been great so far. Just today I rode my bike over a long section of 2 inch thick ice that was so slippery I couldn't get enough traction to walk on. It was about a 15 foot section on a path through the park and I cautiously rode right through it and my grip felt pretty solid. We haven't had a really big snow accumulation yet but they've been handling the hard packed snow and ice like champs. Going out on a bad winter day now is fun and I can go out and ride in confidence. They make a bit of a clicking noise as the studs hit the ground on dry roads and take a bit of getting used to. The rolling resistance is pretty evident but the electric takes care of that. One thing I noticed is I don't feel very safe leaning into turns on these tires on dry ground as much as I would with my normal tires so I tend to slow down or make wider turns to keep more upright. Although they were pretty expensive they've been great so far and I highly recommend anyone commuting through snow and ice to get some studded tires the traction is excellent.

These sound great if you can also dress for the cold. I have this vision in my mind of traffic being snarled on I-5 due to snow thru Seattle and being able to park the truck on the side of the road, whip my bike off the rear carrier and ride blissfully past miles of stuck traffic home.

Well, it's a nice though anyways...

Good to hear Electr0n!

I haven't had a chance to test my marathon winter/snow stud combo on anything more serious than frost and minor black ice, but we are supposed to get some snow tonight! 8)

Back