Need a replacement for my Ping

If your going to go lipo, you can't beat hobbycity. you could make a 48v 10Ah pack for less than 350$ including the BMS supplies from GGoodrum.
40 amp rated 10ah lipo sounds wrong, is it just really conservative? Even my worst RC lipo packs can do 40amps with only 2.2 ah of capacity.

edit:
+50 or so bucks for shipping

nomad85 said:
snowranger said:
Can you give me a list of components that would fit the bill?
Sure :mrgreen:

If you go the lipo route there are a few choices you have to make up front.
a 13s-14s lipo is pretty much equal to 16s lifepo4(48v ping), however most lipo packs(and pack building accessories) come in 5s or 6s configurations. So you can either go a little lower with 12s (2 6s packs) or a little higher with 15s(3 5s packs). The caps in 48v controllers are usually rated to 63v, which is the 15s packs hot off the charger voltage. I choose to go a little higher and got 9 5s 5ah packs to make a 55v 15Ah pack.
Let me know what you would want to do, since everything else depends on that.

Just to give you an idea on cost, with everything my 55v 15Ah pack (830ish Wh) will cost me about 850$
9 5s 25c packs 46$ each+(102$ shipping), battery medic 23$, wire 3$, connectors 6$, meanwell power supplies 60$(you might be able to use your ping charger instead, by upping the voltage), 3 LVC/HVC units 48 $ each, charge controller 85$.

All the Goodrum equipment will run around $300 including the battery medic booster. Probably looking at about $1000 or so for a 20ah pack.

snowranger said:
All the Goodrum equipment will run around $300 including the battery medic booster. Probably looking at about $1000 or so for a 20ah pack.

Probably around there, but the battery medic booster is not required. Apparently 12s of lipo does match up with a 16s lifepo4 fairly well (according to recumpence) so you would only need 8 6s packs to get 20ah- , that would cost substantially less. I think the nicer 6s packs sell for 45$ http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8586 (the price you see may be higher, I get a discount), and shipping would be around 100$, so 460$(+23$ for the battery medic) + 2 boards from gary(48$ each, less if you want to put it together), and 1 charge controller(85$), bm booster optional(95$).
664$ w/o bm booster, 759$ with it. it would weigh about 13 lbs.
edit.
I tested this and 12s of lipo does not equal 16s Lifepo4

mr.electric said:
I want an assembled , complete 48v lipo battery/ charger.
I can build you one if you want. I'm making one for myself right now. Limiting factor is hobbycity getting them in stock.
For 600$ I could make a 48v 10Ah pack 250amp continuous with BMS and charger. 12s2p (44.4v nominal, but for most of the cycle it will be 49-50v)
I can also offer advice if you want to make it yourself. Hardest part for me is the parallel harness, but if you only want 10Ah its rather easy.
edit.
I tested this and 12s of lipo does not equal 16s Lifepo4

The wiring harness should be easy if you have a high power soldering iron. I'm thinking X shaped harness with a twisting of the wire and solder in the middle of the X. Hobby King is unfortunately out of Battery Medic.

For a 2p pack its not too bad, but I need a 4p harness, thankfully AJ is helping me out :mrgreen:
For a 2p harness, just put a bullet on each end of a wire expose the middle of the wire and solder another wire to it then put a bullet(or connector of choice) on it. repeat.

I was thinking that the ends of the X go to each + of the 4p. Attach another wire to the middle of the X, solder up, and heat shrink.

What was your plan?

I guess I cant quite visualize it, here is what I had come up with before AJ offered to help me out. The less wire/connectors used the better, so I was obviously having trouble :lol:
parallel.png

Bummer. Can't see your image from work.

eh its nothing special anyway. My first idea is flawed(I think) because the lenght of wire between each parallel pack is not the same. The second idea is what I outlined above but adapted to a 4p configuration, but it uses to much wire and connectors.

Trigger pulled on 10 turnigy 4000 mah 6 s packs and 2 mega power balance chargers. There were only three of those chargers left at hobbycity. There's no turning back now. The chargers are rated at 400 watts a piece. Anyone have an idea on one single power supply to drive both of them. I am going to go with the celllog 6 alarms for low voltage detection.

You may want to get enough 2-3s packs to use in series with the 6s packs to make 14-15s blocks, after some testing seems like under load lipo gives you its nominal voltage, so a 12s pack would only be 44v. Or you could do an 18s setup(you would need a controller that can handle it, Lyen is making some nice ones.

Back