Need advices (again) . Full suspension commuter

philtc

100 µW
Hi,

I had a deal on a second hand full suspension giant yukon fx and I'm slowy getting ready to convert it to an ebike. I wanted to convert a hardtail but the streets are way too bad here in Montreal. I would like to keep the setup as simple as possible. I wanted to used a geared hub but I think I'll go with a DD because of it simplicity and I could use regen to save the brakes a bit. I tried a BBS02, its ok, but for commuting it might not be the best.

Desired max speed on level ground. mph or kph = 50-55 kph
Average speed: 35kmh
PAS ( I always pedal)
Desired max range at what cruising speed 20-30 km @ 35 kmh
Preferred bike wheel size, or wheel size of bike you want to convert. 26 inches
Brake type of motor wheel. Disc
Rider weight. 140 lbs
Terrain. Exp: mostly flat / mostly road
Budget for motor : +/-500 usd
Bike: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/1382/29355/
Battery: still looking, looking for 48v 10ah

There's this kit on aliexpress. Which look like an overvolted fast winding 9c clone
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Passion-Ebike-48V-1500W-Bicicleta-Electric-Bicycle-Bike-conversion-kit-Rear-wheel-motor-kit/32476876343.html

and There's the leafbike kit:
http://leafbike.com/products/diy-bike-conversion-kit/26-inch-electric-hub-motor-kit/newest-version-26-inch-48v-1000w-rear-hub-motor-bike-conversion-kit-1067.html

Here's a couple email we exchange about the kit (top = newest). I won't pretend I understand everything about motor turns. I get that less turn= faster but the first number, I don't undestand... What do you think of his answer?

Also, How does the rear air shock will react with the new 18 pounds wheel?

Thanx!

Hello Philippe
13*5T is much better. Top speed is about 55km while you ride.
(Also,our LCD can set max speed)
1 year warranty for replace part or repair part.
Best Regards
Peter
Leaf Bike

Sent: Thursday, October 6, 2016 8:34 AM
To: sales@leafbike.com
Subject: Re: 1500w kit infos

Hi Peter,

Maybe you can help me with the motor turn. This is what I’m looking for:

-bike (26inch full suspension) + Rider + battery (48v 10ah 25r cells) + motor with be around 200 lbs
-cruising speed around 35-40km/h. Mostly flat. I pedal most of the time
-top speed (burst) 55-60 kmh -> I could trade top speed for torque. 50kmh burst could be fine.

Also, what kind of warranty do you offer on the kit?

Thanks!

Philippe

On Oct 4, 2016, at 9:48 PM, <sales@leafbike.com> <sales@leafbike.com> wrote:

Yes,you could order other winding rotor.
For example: 13 * 5T, 11 * 6T....
Just when you order,Note: winding size or max speed.
(Then we will ship motor as your Note)

It comes with LCD-003.
Best Regards
Peter
Leaf Bike

Sent: Wednesday, October 5, 2016 9:43 AM
Subject: Re: 1500w kit infos

Hi Peter, is it possible to order a different winding to have more torque ? What's the display that comes with the kit ? Is it the lcd3?

Le 4 oct. 2016 8:24 PM, <sales@leafbike.com> a écrit :
Hello Philippe
Default: 16 * 4T
3mm phase wire

Can ship by China Post, SAL.. but they are very slow,hard to track parcel.Also,not much cheaper,cost about $140USD shipping cost if ship by SAL,China Post.

* Continuous current is about 20A,max 40A.
* Regen works.But not strong. ONLY a little regen while braking. (Strong regen will break controller)

Best Regards
Peter

Sent: Wednesday, October 5, 2016 8:08 AM
Subject: 1500w kit infos

Hi!
I'm looking at this kit http://m.leafbike.com/mobile/products_detail.php?ProId=987
How many turns do the motor have? What's the size of the phase wire ?
Is there a cheaper way to ship the kit to Canada (SAL maybe)
What's the continuous current of the controller ? Does Regen works ?
Thank you!
Philippe

With a motor that size, your suspension will still go up and down, but you won't get the comfort that you get without a motor in the wheel. The lower the weight of the motor, the better your suspension will work. For a speed of only 35km/h, a Bafang SWX02C at 48v would give plenty of power, in fact, it would probably be OK at 36v if you want to pedal. The Q128C from BMSBattery is also good. To get the right speed and power, you want the 201 rpm 36v one, which you run at 48v.

I currently have a BFSWX02 code 11 on a fat bike. It tops at 36kmh. I'm looking for a higher top speed for short sections of my commuting. A DD seems to be more durable ( I just hate to troubleshooting stuffs. ) even if I had zero problem with the bafang with +5000km. I could benefit from regen, the city commuting is hard on brake pads.

I'm building a 2nd ebike has a backup, so if one fails, I'll ride the other while waiting for the parts. I also checked the the magic pie (too heavy) and smart pie (light) but the controller doesn't seems reliable. The leaf have good reviews here, It might be heavy but if I ever want to push more power this hub could take it unlike a 9c or maybe I'm wrong

Back