Need help on what bike to get (EU)

Mikis

100 µW
For those that don't want to read the wall of text below, here's a TL;DR:
  • Looking for good, but not over the top expensive fat tire bike (foldable would be a big plus) for commute and for casual riding (and to exercise).
  • My budget is about 2.2k EUR, but can be a bit higher if those extra bucks will get me better bike.
  • I live in Lithuania which is mostly flat terrain with very few hills, and even then, those hills are like 20% gradient i think.
  • My specs are: 110kg, 181cm, very out of shape.
  • Because of my very 'good' specs, I'm looking for a bike that has:
    • Power - smth like more than 1000W? So that I could use it to commute to work on motors only or with max assist and so the motor wouldn't struggle to move under my weight.
    • Speed - i would like a bike that could do more than 25kmh on motor only. The bikes i listed below all can be 'unlocked' to go faster than 25kmh, but i'm open to suggestions.
    • Battery - my total commute back and forth is 12km, so i think any battery is capable going that much on motor only on a bike that costs over 2k eur.
    • Design - looking for fat tire bike so I could use it all year round. Folding bike would be nice, but i'm fine with non-foldable bikes too. I saw that there are bikes with handles that are above the seat, i never tried a bike like that, but i'm open to suggestions.

Hi, so bit of a backstory, I live in Lithuania and commute to my work two ways, either by a public bus or e.scooter, when it's wet or raining, i take the bus, when it's dry and not raining, i take the scooter (it has mudguards, but they are so bad, that the scooter still gets water on me, that's why it has to be dry terrain). I also have a normal bicycle, but i don't use that for commute, since I'm so out of shape that if I use it to commute, I come to work sweaty which is uncomfortable for me, so that's why I bought e.scooter, so i could come to work not sweaty and faster too.
Recently I came to a realization, that I could sell my e.scooter and buy fat tire e.bike and use it for commute to work (motor only or max pedal assist) and to exercise (no or little pedal assist), but the problem is that I have no idea what specs are good and what kind of brand bike should i get since i see some 250W bikes go for 7k EUR and other bikes with 2000W go for 2k EUR. My only knowledge about power and cost is with scooters (my first scooter was 2x1200W and current one is 2x1600W) and that using my scooter with rear motor (1200W) only was way too slow to accelerate so I always use dual motors only and that's way more power than any typical person needs. There's also something with torque, which i don't really get, but it seems important with bikes.
So, my question is: what fat tire bike should I get that would be great for no effort commute and great for casual riding? My budget is around 2.2k, can be lower or maybe a bit higher if those extra bucks will improve something. I found few bikes that look good on paper and have nice design, but have no idea on their performance, these are:
1. LANKELEISI X3000 MAX (2x1000W motors, foldable, built-in battery, full suspension, comes with mudguards)
2. VAKOLE CO20 Max (2x750W motors (i think on a bike that's still a good amount of power?), foldable, built-in battery, full suspension, comes with mudguards)
3. VAKOLE Q20 (single 750W motor (how fast/strong will this be on motor only? since scooter with 1200W felt slow), non-foldable but looks stylish, dual battery, full suspension, comes with mudguards)
4. ENGWE X26 (single 1000W motor (how fast/strong will this be on motor only? since scooter with 1200W felt slow), foldable, built-in battery, triple? suspension, doesn't come with mudguards (hard to find good fat tire mudguards))
This list is only what i found that interested me, but I would be glad to hear from others about what other good fat tire bikes exist that i could buy in EU.

For those that don't want to read the wall of text below, here's a TL;DR:
  • Looking for good, but not over the top expensive fat tire bike (foldable would be a big plus) for commute and for casual riding (and to exercise).
  • My budget is about 2.2k EUR, but can be a bit higher if those extra bucks will get me better bike.
  • I live in Lithuania which is mostly flat terrain with very few hills, and even then, those hills are like 20% gradient i think.
  • My specs are: 110kg, 181cm, very out of shape.
  • Because of my very 'good' specs, I'm looking for a bike that has:
    • Power - smth like more than 1000W? So that I could use it to commute to work on motors only or with max assist and so the motor wouldn't struggle to move under my weight.
    • Speed - i would like a bike that could do more than 25kmh on motor only. The bikes i listed below all can be 'unlocked' to go faster than 25kmh, but i'm open to suggestions.
    • Battery - my total commute back and forth is 12km, so i think any battery is capable going that much on motor only on a bike that costs over 2k eur.
    • Design - looking for fat tire bike so I could use it all year round. Folding bike would be nice, but i'm fine with non-foldable bikes too. I saw that there are bikes with handles that are above the seat, i never tried a bike like that, but i'm open to suggestions.

Hi, so bit of a backstory, I live in Lithuania and commute to my work two ways, either by a public bus or e.scooter, when it's wet or raining, i take the bus, when it's dry and not raining, i take the scooter (it has mudguards, but they are so bad, that the scooter still gets water on me, that's why it has to be dry terrain). I also have a normal bicycle, but i don't use that for commute, since I'm so out of shape that if I use it to commute, I come to work sweaty which is uncomfortable for me, so that's why I bought e.scooter, so i could come to work not sweaty and faster too.
Recently I came to a realization, that I could sell my e.scooter and buy fat tire e.bike and use it for commute to work (motor only or max pedal assist) and to exercise (no or little pedal assist), but the problem is that I have no idea what specs are good and what kind of brand bike should i get since i see some 250W bikes go for 7k EUR and other bikes with 2000W go for 2k EUR. My only knowledge about power and cost is with scooters (my first scooter was 2x1200W and current one is 2x1600W) and that using my scooter with rear motor (1200W) only was way too slow to accelerate so I always use dual motors only and that's way more power than any typical person needs. There's also something with torque, which i don't really get, but it seems important with bikes.
So, my question is: what fat tire bike should I get that would be great for no effort commute and great for casual riding? My budget is around 2.2k, can be lower or maybe a bit higher if those extra bucks will improve something. I found few bikes that look good on paper and have nice design, but have no idea on their performance, these are:
1. LANKELEISI X3000 MAX (2x1000W motors, foldable, built-in battery, full suspension, comes with mudguards)
2. VAKOLE CO20 Max (2x750W motors (i think on a bike that's still a good amount of power?), foldable, built-in battery, full suspension, comes with mudguards)
3. VAKOLE Q20 (single 750W motor (how fast/strong will this be on motor only? since scooter with 1200W felt slow), non-foldable but looks stylish, dual battery, full suspension, comes with mudguards)
4. ENGWE X26 (single 1000W motor (how fast/strong will this be on motor only? since scooter with 1200W felt slow), foldable, built-in battery, triple? suspension, doesn't come with mudguards (hard to find good fat tire mudguards))
This list is only what i found that interested me, but I would be glad to hear from others about what other good fat tire bikes exist that i could buy in EU.
I have some bad news, Lithuania and most of the EU limit e-bikes to pedal assist only, up to 25KPH. From what I know, there’s no wattage limit as long as the bike limits the top speed to 25KPH. Anything outside that and you’ll have to register it as a moped or motorcycle. Of course you could just ignore the law but I hear police are a bit strict in Europe when it comes to road rules.

E-moped Registering Forum Post
EBike Laws

I have some bad news, Lithuania and most of the EU limit e-bikes to pedal assist only, up to 25KPH. From what I know, there’s no wattage limit as long as the bike limits the top speed to 25KPH. Anything outside that and you’ll have to register it as a moped or motorcycle. Of course you could just ignore the law but I hear police are a bit strict in Europe when it comes to road rules.

E-moped Registering Forum Post
EBike Laws
Yeah, the laws are there, but they aren't enforced in Lithuania, at least not yet. I've been riding e.scooter that goes 60kmh top speed and has 3.2kW of power, and the law is that i can't ride scooters like that on sidewalks, yet I've been doing it anyways (responsibly of course, i slow down to safe speed when passing other people or bikes) and police doesn't bat an eye, they simply don't care. My scooter was also power and speed limited to meet the EU laws, but I unlocked it by snipping manufacturer placed limiter cable. So you know, even if I had a bike that could go 50kmh, i wouldn't drive that fast on sidewalks, only on roads, and on sidewalks it would be the max speed that EU allows, which is 25kmh.

Yeah, the laws are there, but they aren't enforced in Lithuania, at least not yet. I've been riding e.scooter that goes 60kmh top speed and has 3.2kW of power, and the law is that i can't ride scooters like that on sidewalks, yet I've been doing it anyways (responsibly of course, i slow down to safe speed when passing other people or bikes) and police doesn't bat an eye, they simply don't care. My scooter was also power and speed limited to meet the EU laws, but I unlocked it by snipping manufacturer placed limiter cable. So you know, even if I had a bike that could go 50kmh, i wouldn't drive that fast on sidewalks, only on roads, and on sidewalks it would be the max speed that EU allows, which is 25kmh.
Oh alright then, just wanted to make sure you were aware before buying.

You could definitely get one of the bikes you mentioned, however I would be hesitant about going for a Chinese brand that isn’t very popular at a cheap price. I took the gamble and got mostly lucky, spending $500 on a Hiland Rockshark last year. The range was exaggerated but is still enough for me, the quality is iffy but nothing major has broken, and their support is unresponsive however they seem to sell some replacement parts online. That’s what you can expect from most similar brands.

RadPower is a good brand that I’ve seen in person, and their bikes get good reviews. I’d recommend maybe the RadRunner 2 as it’s got fat tires, cargo space, a 750W motor, ~70KM range, 32KPH speed but can be modified easily to increase the speed to 45KPH. A little expensive, but within your budget. Bikes come with a 1-year warranty. Doesn’t fold.

I’ve seen a few Aventon bikes but they’re very pricey in my opinion. I haven’t rode any other e-bikes outside my own so I can’t say if it’s worth it. The Adventure 2 also has a 750W motor, a claimed range of ~95KM, and a top speed of 45KPH. Might go out of your budget with shipping but could be a great bike. Doesn’t fold though.

I was going to suggest Lectric bikes, for example their XP 2 bike would meet your requirements, maybe a little underpowered for what you want though. It doesn’t seem like they ship outside North America unfortunately, so unless you feel like risking a sketchy trip bay listing or finding someone willing to buy in America and ship to you at a heavy cost, I don’t think they’re an option. Only mentioning them as they’re quite popular where I live and seem to have what you’re looking for.

I’ll do a bit more research at some point but those are the two that I’ve seen and are popular.

Design - looking for fat tire bike so I could use it all year round.
Guessing that you're planning to ride in winter snow and mud conditions? Fat tire are usually only a benefit in snow, mud, or sand. (They are considered high flotation tires.) In almost all other conditions they have worse handling and stability characteristics.

Do you ever see other e-cyclists in your travels? See if you can befriend them and get their opinions and experiences with the ebikes they have. To help you make an informed decision.

Oh alright then, just wanted to make sure you were aware before buying.

You could definitely get one of the bikes you mentioned, however I would be hesitant about going for a Chinese brand that isn’t very popular at a cheap price. I took the gamble and got mostly lucky, spending $500 on a Hiland Rockshark last year. The range was exaggerated but is still enough for me, the quality is iffy but nothing major has broken, and their support is unresponsive however they seem to sell some replacement parts online. That’s what you can expect from most similar brands.

RadPower is a good brand that I’ve seen in person, and their bikes get good reviews. I’d recommend maybe the RadRunner 2 as it’s got fat tires, cargo space, a 750W motor, ~70KM range, 32KPH speed but can be modified easily to increase the speed to 45KPH. A little expensive, but within your budget. Bikes come with a 1-year warranty. Doesn’t fold.

I’ve seen a few Aventon bikes but they’re very pricey in my opinion. I haven’t rode any other e-bikes outside my own so I can’t say if it’s worth it. The Adventure 2 also has a 750W motor, a claimed range of ~95KM, and a top speed of 45KPH. Might go out of your budget with shipping but could be a great bike. Doesn’t fold though.

I was going to suggest Lectric bikes, for example their XP 2 bike would meet your requirements, maybe a little underpowered for what you want though. It doesn’t seem like they ship outside North America unfortunately, so unless you feel like risking a sketchy trip bay listing or finding someone willing to buy in America and ship to you at a heavy cost, I don’t think they’re an option. Only mentioning them as they’re quite popular where I live and seem to have what you’re looking for.

I’ll do a bit more research at some point but those are the two that I’ve seen and are popular.
You say that cheap Chinese bikes are bad purchase, but is 2k eur a cheap price for electric bike? Because in scooter market, 2k is A LOT and can get you mid-high end scooter. So what about Chinese bikes? Because the brands i listed, in EU sites those are top tier models, which must mean that they are their flagship bikes with most power/range and build quality.
And all the brands u mentioned are sadly US only, only RadPower sold in EU, but sadly they stopped selling in EU because it wasn't profitable (no idea how that makes sense).
And all e.bikes i can find in my country are either Chinese bikes that go like 40-50kmh, have 750-1000W motors or expensive bikes that have like 250W motor, cost a fortune and go only 25kmh with pedal assist mode only.
I'll try looking for more, but it seems that if i want a fun bike that can go motor only mode and have more than 750W motors, best choice would be Chinese bikes with their ability to 'unlock' speed/power.

Guessing that you're planning to ride in winter snow and mud conditions? Fat tire are usually only a benefit in snow, mud, or sand. (They are considered high flotation tires.) In almost all other conditions they have worse handling and stability characteristics.

Do you ever see other e-cyclists in your travels? See if you can befriend them and get their opinions and experiences with the ebikes they have. To help you make an informed decision.
Yes, i would use it all year round, except maybe during winter when there's ice on the ground (like after rain and freeze, because no bike could handle ice i think). And I saw some people swap the fat tire tire (that's how you say it?), to a street fat tire for better handling on asphalt.

Yes, i would use it all year round, except maybe during winter when there's ice on the ground (like after rain and freeze, because no bike could handle ice i think). And I saw some people swap the fat tire tire (that's how you say it?), to a street fat tire for better handling on asphalt.
Your English is correct, I understand what you mean. I believe a regular fat “off-road” tire can drive somewhat on Ice, but it’s not recommended.
Switching to street tires will give you better efficiency than an off road tire, but you can still use an off-road tire on the street. I ride my mountain bike to school everyday with “commuter” type tires, which are fat but have a smoother tread instead of a bumpy tread like you see on some mountain bikes or dirt bike. They’re meant for rougher roads than a street tire would be, which is probably ideal for old city roads.

Your English is correct, I understand what you mean. I believe a regular fat “off-road” tire can drive somewhat on Ice, but it’s not recommended.
Switching to street tires will give you better efficiency than an off road tire, but you can still use an off-road tire on the street. I ride my mountain bike to school everyday with “commuter” type tires, which are fat but have a smoother tread instead of a bumpy tread like you see on some mountain bikes or dirt bike. They’re meant for rougher roads than a street tire would be, which is probably ideal for old city roads.
Looked at some reviews of bikes and some people say that 1000W motors in front and back is powerful, but not really needed and that single rear motor like 750W or 1000W is more than enough for most people, so maybe i'll try to find good bikes, but it seems that those Chinese bikes are best at around 2k eur price.
And i also found out that the foldability of bikes isn't really useful most of the time, since the bikes weigh 40 kg which kinda defeats the portability of the folding feature.

This is a good bike,recently bought one myself.its an uart motor which can easily be programmed.price is 1570 euro.Dont know if they ship to your country,but worth a try

I live in Lithuania which is mostly flat terrain with very few hills, and even then, those hills are like 20% gradient i think.
How long are your 20% gradient hills? I'm thinking you will be happiest with a 1500W motor.

How tall are you ?
Full disclosure I'm 6'3 250 lb
It's always nice to try before you buy. In Lithuania are there any E bike stores close or maybe in the biggest city ?

There's a guy here who sells battery battery packs is well connected in the e-bike manufacturing community in Poland. You can find them and they use for sale section of endless spear.
He might have a heads up on what you need cuz he sells used batteries new batteries and they're manufactured in Poland.

Full disclosure I'm half polish Norwegian and laplander I have no affiliation with this character in Poland. Ha ha.

Funny I can't find the guy from Poland who is sin Dean and selling a lot of batteries battery cells product out of ripped apart packs and new packs and new cells but he's not around anymore anyway it takes a long time from a box from Poland to be sent to United States. But it seems for some reason or not there's a lot of battery manufacturing in Poland it is probably because they're more able to pollute their own rivers that they drink for profit but that's just a guess we're not allowed to do that for too many things United States and make a profit

How long are your 20% gradient hills? I'm thinking you will be happiest with a 1500W motor.
Hah, I just looked up what 20% gradient hill looks like and yeah....20% is a lot, and the hill that I take is 4% not 20%, its 300m long and 12 meter elevation increase....so yeah, that hill wouldn't even need a motor to climb, the motor would only make it faster.
And i didnt see bike with 1500W motor, the highest i saw had 1000W motor.

How tall are you ?
Full disclosure I'm 6'3 250 lb
It's always nice to try before you buy. In Lithuania are there any E bike stores close or maybe in the biggest city ?

There's a guy here who sells battery battery packs is well connected in the e-bike manufacturing community in Poland. You can find them and they use for sale section of endless spear.
He might have a heads up on what you need cuz he sells used batteries new batteries and they're manufactured in Poland.

Full disclosure I'm half polish Norwegian and laplander I have no affiliation with this character in Poland. Ha ha.
Im 181 cm or 5'11 and weigh 110kg or 242 lb.
I could try looking around my local shops, but I can already say, it will be useless, since they either sell e.bikes that go over 3k eur price (and they aren't even that powerful since laws exist to them unlike for Chinese sellers) or they don't have them at all (or they have but its like 1 model, cheap and also not powerful).
Going to other big city is an idea, but I won't count on it because of 2 things, one is that it's 2 hours away and secondly is that there also wouldn't be a good e.bike selection. E.bike popularity just isn't the same in Lithuania so our stores still sell normal bikes mostly and if they do have e.bikes, it's those omega expensive ones in 3-9k range.

Si Sade
Anyway how fast you want to go do you want to build it yourself ? How bad is the law where you live I live in Southern California in between LA and San Diego and they don't give a s*** what I do and I won't tell you what I do. As long as I'm not an idiot they don't give a s***.
Is this your case they don't really care because you're too far in the back of the woods so to speak ?

Do you care how much your bike weighs. Meaning would you have to pick it up and put it on the bus rack ?
Let's get all their parameters here so this bike will work for 4 to 5 years for you

The reason I asked about your size weight is sometimes a 20-24-26-.29 inch tire kit would make a difference in making a decision 820-in tire as a lot more torque and it's harder to spend a 29-in tire torque speed weight sex love and other things we don't have to talk about.

You're a genius you start a conversation about your needs you want your price and options for an evite you asked before you bought congratulations.

Si Sade
Anyway how fast you want to go do you want to build it yourself ? How bad is the law where you live I live in Southern California in between LA and San Diego and they don't give a s*** what I do and I won't tell you what I do. As long as I'm not an idiot they don't give a s***.
Is this your case they don't really care because you're too far in the back of the woods so to speak ?

Do you care how much your bike weighs. Meaning would you have to pick it up and put it on the bus rack ?
Let's get all their parameters here so this bike will work for 4 to 5 years for you
The law in Lithuania is really relaxed with e.bikes and e.scooters, the i have ridden over 2000km combined with the 2 scooters i had and police never stopped me, so while its illegal to drive powerful scooters (over 25kmh or over 1kW power or over 25kg) on sidewalk, as long as you drive like a sane person, they don't bat an eye. So even if I bought class 3 bike, as long as I don't show off or break the law (apart from using class 3 bike on sidewalk) it's fine, since police won't bother to stop a bike to check its class.
Now about my bike preferences, I want to say, that I want to buy a complete bike, not a DIY e.bike kit, since my old bike is good and i want to give it to my dad so we could ride together.

Another thing I want to say, that maybe i've been looking at e.bikes the wrong way, what i mean by that is that when i first wrote the post, I was thinking that i could sell my scooter and buy a bike with the almost the same specs (power, torque etc) and use it like scooter, which is where i get on the bike and without pedaling drive to work without breaking a sweat like i've been doing all this time with scooter. And I realized that it's kinda pointless since by doing that, bike kind of loses its purpose (exercise while traveling) and would be like a scooter just i would be sitting instead of standing. So now i'm thinking that my wants for a equal or near equal powerful bike like my scooter is flawed, since e.scooters and e.bikes are way different electric means of transport, where scooters are lazy way of traveling where motors do all the work for you, whereas with bikes you pedal and the motor helps you pedal easier if needed.

So, now with that changed view of bikes, i tried looking for more bikes under 2500eur and found out few things:
1. Do I really want 1000W motor? or even dual motors with 2000W combined power? Since with scooters, where motors are always working and doing the work, power matters since if they are weak, you won't go fast or will accelerate slowly. But with bikes, you are the main driving force and motors are the helping hand when it gets harder to pedal. So while more power is fun, it's not really necessary with bikes as much as in scooters.
I also read a bit and found out that more watts isn't necessarily better, since with bikes, torque is the key, so a bike with 250W motor and 100 Nm torque will (maybe?) be better than 1000W motor with 70 Nm torque, since more torque means motor has more pushing power, and wattage is how fast it gets to the max speed (there is more to that than what I wrote here, but I think that's the gist of it).
So I've started to look for bikes that have 250W or 500W but also have good batteries and torque.
2. There are plenty MTB bikes under 2500eur, but i noticed that not many of them have full suspension (unlike fat tire bikes) and that their max load is 120kg, which is bad for me, since while i want to lose weight, i currently weigh 110kg, and if lets say i do shopping and have backpack full of groceries, i go over the 120kg limit and what then? i think i risk bending the wheels at that point, so that's a big minus with MTB bikes, at least the ones I looked.
3. While I want fat tire bike, MTB would be enough, since i don't really drive on sand or dirt, so MTB would be enough, but all of them have max weight load of 120kg, while fat tire bikes have 150-200kg weight load.

Now to answer your questions:
Weight isn't really a problem, i already carry 40kg scooter up 1 flight of stairs. It only becomes a problem when it's hard to carry because there's no good place to grip the bike.
While having bike that could go 50kmh would be fun, i don't really see it as a must, since even with my scooter which goes 65kmh, i drive that fast once a month and only for a short burst on road before slowing down and going back to sidewalk. So even if i had a fast bike, i would drive smth like 25-30kmh on sidewalk (with no pedestrians around ofc).

That rhino fat bike looks pretty good it would have to have a throttle and I can't read that it does or doesn't and no rear suspension but that's not a deal breaker. You could always spend 150 and get a suspension seatpost of some type

That rhino fat bike looks pretty good it would have to have a throttle and I can't read that it does or doesn't and no rear suspension but that's not a deal breaker. You could always spend 150 and get a suspension seatpost of some type
Use google translate or you can send an email to the shop in English.
The bike has throttle and gear sensor.also a seat suspension of low quality.I recommend this instead

I am a bit confused (senility is a curse): So when you write "e.scooter" do you mean a step through motorcycle (like a classic Vespa) or a "sidewalk scooter" with tiny (relative to a bicycle) wheels ?

This is a good bike,recently bought one myself.its an uart motor which can easily be programmed.price is 1570 euro.Dont know if they ship to your country,but worth a try
Bike looks good, but there is one teeny tiny problem...Norway isn't in EU, so that means i would have to pay taxes, which is 21% from the items price, so that bike costs 1500eur, and with import taxes it would be 1800eur if not more....
One other thing, I guess that bike is custom built by the seller? Because i cant find that bike or its model anywhere else.
And that motor torque and power looks super, just sad that its in sold Norway.
Also, how is the ride quality with rear suspension vs no rear suspension? Like for daily city commute where biggest bump you'll find will be a curb.

With the ncx seat suspension linked to over the ride quality is very nice for normal use on pavement and gravel and light offroad.you dont need full suspension for that use imo

Back