Need some 80mm Spokes

Hey everyone. It seems that I have broken a spoke on my 20 rear wheel. Being that my motor came mounted in the wheel already laced, I have no idea where I can source some 80mm spokes. Anyone know where I can go, or who I can contact for some heavy duty spokes?

Maybe a fellow ES member makes them? the ones I have already seem thicker than any other spoke I have ever seen on a wheel, so maybe these area already heavy duty and I just had a bad one.

So, where can I go?

What can I do?

Also, is it safe to ride a bike with one missing spoke? I mean I rode home today, and didn;t even realize it was broken till I took off my wheel to look at my broken disc brake bracket. :(

It must be ok right? or was I just really really lucky?

Michael

http://www.ebikessf.com/catalog/41

michael.i@me.com said:
Also, is it safe to ride a bike with one missing spoke? I mean I rode home today, and didn;t even realize it was broken till I took off my wheel to look at my broken disc brake bracket. :(

Michael
Safe to ride with a missing spoke, just make sure the wheel is true and tight and you can ride as hard as usual.
Not so safe to ride with a missing brake though :wink:

+1 for Holmes Hobby. Just used John and got some great service and he carries most sizes for heavier duty stuff. But, you are going to need to know what to order. Maybe take it to a local bike shop and ask them to measure it or perhaps you could get the spoke info from manufacturers spec's.

And yes, you can ride with a missing spoke safely if the wheel is tight and true but it is a little weaker so you do want to fix it.

Update.

I contacted the eBay seller who sold me my wheel in the first place and he is air mailing me 20 spokes for 10 bux. Just the cost of shipping. This makes me happy.

So I will have some replacements.

Is there something in particular that breaks spokes more than others? Something harder that tends to break em?

I know I have been a little rough on my folder lately, it is just so much fun to ride!

Well I guess in this case the support was great. His eBay name is 2012wu2012wu.

I had a problem with them and a controller back in may that to this day is still unresolved. I went with a controller from GRIN.CA and have never looked back.

They are petty good.

I will continue to deal with 2012wu2012wu for the time being. They answer email quickly.

And that grin I took a snappy of when I got my wheel to spin the dirt time!

Michael

michael.i@me.com said:
Is there something in particular that breaks spokes more than others? Something harder that tends to break em?

I know I have been a little rough on my folder lately, it is just so much fun to ride!

What gauge spoke?
A quality 14 gauge spoke is strong enough to withstand jumping the bike off an 8 foot cliff, over and over. But a cheap spoke will break riding off a curb.

Here's what a good spoke should be able to withstand, over and over.
[youtube]KZmb4yvmth8[/youtube]

If you're breaking spokes, they're likely aren't the greatest quality. If they came from china, I'd bet on a quality issue.

Wow. You were the one filming that? That was me doing that huge drop. That's when I broke the spoke!

Totally kidding of course. I ride this road that this really rough and I have no suspension whatsoever. Also I ride at 60psi.

Who knows. Maybe they are just crappy cheap and I should buy a decent set from John.

Chinese spokes/rims were never envisioned to survive our weight/speed. The Metal simply sucks and in many situations thicker isn't always better. 13/14ga butted stainless spokes and strong eyelet rim solved my constant need for truing and breakage problems. 240lb rider here. Learning from long term experience, I'll probably never buy another laced hub motor again.

Ykick said:
Chinese spokes/rims were never envisioned to survive our weight/speed. The Metal simply sucks and in many situations thicker isn't always better. 13/14ga butted stainless spokes and strong eyelet rim solved my constant need for truing and breakage problems. 240lb rider here. Learning from long term experience, I'll probably never buy another laced hub motor again.

Where does one buy these super spokes you speak if?

As already mentioned, JRH or Holmes Hobby. Wheelbuilder.com IIRC offers proper sizes and quality. Nothing super as much as simply the right materials and components to start with. Best $100 spent to date.

Also, closely monitoring, tightening and truing will go a long way toward preventing breakage. You don't look to be a little guy and on a folder those poor wheels are taking some hard stresses. Get a good rim and some JRH spokes and either build or have a shop build you up a strong wheel. I just re-laced mine and it feel so much smoother over that factory POS.

A wheel that is wrong will break any spoke quality, and a good lacing job very well maintained can make any spoke quality last.

Keep your wheel true and tight, it will last. I usually scrap the rim before the spokes, riding very hard in mountain trails.

Well I just dropped my wheel off at the bike shop am they are making my spokes for me, then they are goin to install them and true the wheel for me. Gonna cost about $100 but at least then I know that it is going to be done right.

They should be done in a couple hours, I'll let you all know how it works out.

Turns out I fubar'd my rim according to the shop, so they are putting on a new one for me. Another $40. /sigh

Oh well, it is being done by professionals so when all is said and done I should have an awesome wheel. It is probably going to cost me about $150-$160 when all is said and done.

I'll let you all know what happens when I gt it back.

Oh I almost forgot, I had them do it in black spokes. I'm very excited about this for some reason. Lol :mrgreen:

Ttys

Back