• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

New 128GB, 256GB and .... 512GB USB KEY .. is it real???

Doctorbass

100 GW
typo..

don't use babblefish to translate your ebay auctions people.. hehehehehe..

if you google it, 256gb aparently is out there but uber expensive.. this 512 claim is utter BS ( would love to be proven wrong tho )

http://flashdrivefacts.wordpress.com/2009/04/18/512gb-sony-vaio-counterfeit-fake-usb-flash-drive-red-white-packaging-with-microvault-name/

Ypedal said:
typo..

don't use babblefish to translate your ebay auctions people.. hehehehehe..

if you google it, 256gb aparently is out there but uber expensive.. this 512 claim is utter BS ( would love to be proven wrong tho )

http://flashdrivefacts.wordpress.com/2009/04/18/512gb-sony-vaio-counterfeit-fake-usb-flash-drive-red-white-packaging-with-microvault-name/

:shock:

So I understand we must be aware of these counterfait and wrong capacity label!!!

thanks Ypedal!

I have been rethinking the size of my flash since last month... I consolidated all of my life on an encrypted 16GB USB Thumb Drive about a year ago... so much more convenient, right? Then one day I heard that ominous snap that emanates from a piece of silicon going thermal... all gone in the blink of an eye. I recovered; but segregated things with the new drives to minimize loss.

If someone has a really good way to sync multiple backups, I am all ears. My current scheme is back up to a server, another copy on my desktop machine, original in my laptop (which I use the most) and a copy on the USB Thumb drives.

I've had a 64gb flashdrive for about a year. It's handy for blu-ray rips, and other 1080p media. It doesn't get much use though.

About 99% of the 128gb flashdrives are fakes. I will say it formatted at 128gb, but when you try to copy a file bigger than 16 (or whatever it really is) then the transfer crashes.

The best flashdrive on earth IMO is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609381&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Memory+(USB+Flash+Drive)-_-SUPER+TALENT-_-20609381

The read/write speeds are crazy fast. It's potted with some super epoxy into a solid piece of stainless steel. You can take it diving, you can freeze it in ice, you can boil it, you can throw it out of an airplane, drive over it, etc. It's smaller than the smallest little pad-lock key on my keychain, making it really no additional burden to carry. Having it on your keys everywhere you go and never needing to worry about it is outstanding. I got the first 4gb model they released years back, and it still works perfectly, though I replaced it with the 16gb model recently. The stainless gets warm, this means the energy can be transfered to the air around it so it can cool and survive. It's the first flashdrive I've ever owned where the heatsinking actually works. If you don't need more than 16gb, I couldn't recommend a better USB drive.

LFP,

i thought stainless had rather poor thermal transfer characteristics, compared to aluminum and copper of course.
Or is that not imporant in that application, looking more for strength with out oxidation?

d

Compare the thermal paths.

Chip, epoxy, stainless, air.

Chip, air gap, plastic, air.

If you work the numbers there, you will see an order of magnitude of improvement. ;)

liveforphysics said:
Compare the thermal paths.

Chip, epoxy, stainless, air.

Chip, air gap, plastic, air.

If you work the numbers there, you will see an order of magnitude of improvement. ;)

Sure, I got that; just wondering about using copper or aluminum instead of Stainless.? that was my dilema.

I agree, Ultra high capacity portable drives represent a risk.

I also prevent that on my desktop computer by using 6 Hard drive instead of one or two.

But when you want to transfer large files or programs or backup from a mini notebook ( like mine ( MSI U100) tp another PC it is very usefull to have high capacity portables drives.

LFP, did you bought it from amazon?

Super Talent PICO C Series 32 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive STU32GPCS (Chrome) by Super Talent 87.99$

Doc

Doctorbass said:
I agree, Ultra high capacity portable drives represent a risk.

I also prevent that on my desktop computer by using 6 Hard drive instead of one or two.

But when you want to transfer large files or programs or backup from a mini notebook ( like mine ( MSI U100) tp another PC it is very usefull to have high capacity portables drives.

LFP, did you bought it from amazon?

Super Talent PICO C Series 32 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive STU32GPCS (Chrome) by Super Talent 87.99$

Doc

Hello DoctorBass,

The easiest way I have found is to use a normal Hard Drive (WD-SATA) 1Tb at 90.00CAN with a portable USB interface casing and power supply built-in .... the hint that many ignore in using a hard drive as a USB key is to format the drive in FAT32 not in NTFS as default for Windows OS... Thus allowing the hard drive to be compatible to almost any thing... (all USB key are formated in FAT32)

I have a 500Gb and a 1Tb working perfectly this way... and it is very handy for backup and videostreming on the TV (no more need for DVD disk)
(There are many little shareware and software on the web to format hard disks like this one ''Fat32Formatter'')

Bye...

Doctorbass said:
I was searching on ebay for some 64GB usb key and discovered that it seem it is now possible to get some 128GB, 256GB and 512GB ( I mean.. GIGABYTE!!)

I have some doubt about the auction that are at very low price and wonder what are your opinin about that?

I mean.. few month ago, buying a 32GB was costing 100$+

Ex:http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...2gb+usb+flash+drive&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Doc

Stephane, just Google "fake usb drives" for fun.

The cheapest they can do is around $2.50 a Gb. ( memory+driver+casing )

i say scam

this is almost $1k: (and its only 256 GB)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/20/kingston-unveils-256gb-thumb-drive-for-well-heeled-memory-fiends/

no way 512 GB fits inside that tiny case! and for $300? no way

plus they dont even list Vista as a compatible OS.

bigmoose said:
I have been rethinking the size of my flash since last month... I consolidated all of my life on an encrypted 16GB USB Thumb Drive about a year ago... so much more convenient, right? Then one day I heard that ominous snap that emanates from a piece of silicon going thermal... all gone in the blink of an eye. I recovered; but segregated things with the new drives to minimize loss.

If someone has a really good way to sync multiple backups, I am all ears. My current scheme is back up to a server, another copy on my desktop machine, original in my laptop (which I use the most) and a copy on the USB Thumb drives.

I use "Dropbox" to put a copy on the web automagically, and it also syncs to my PC at work. You just put a file in the dropbox folder, and it syncs it to the web, and you install it on multiple PCs or link folders between accounts.

They give you a couple of GB for free.

https://www.dropbox.com

Mark

liveforphysics said:
I've had a 64gb flashdrive for about a year. It's handy for blu-ray rips, and other 1080p media. It doesn't get much use though.

About 99% of the 128gb flashdrives are fakes. I will say it formatted at 128gb, but when you try to copy a file bigger than 16 (or whatever it really is) then the transfer crashes.

The best flashdrive on earth IMO is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609381&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Memory+(USB+Flash+Drive)-_-SUPER+TALENT-_-20609381

The read/write speeds are crazy fast. It's potted with some super epoxy into a solid piece of stainless steel. You can take it diving, you can freeze it in ice, you can boil it, you can throw it out of an airplane, drive over it, etc. It's smaller than the smallest little pad-lock key on my keychain, making it really no additional burden to carry. Having it on your keys everywhere you go and never needing to worry about it is outstanding. I got the first 4gb model they released years back, and it still works perfectly, though I replaced it with the 16gb model recently. The stainless gets warm, this means the energy can be transfered to the air around it so it can cool and survive. It's the first flashdrive I've ever owned where the heatsinking actually works. If you don't need more than 16gb, I couldn't recommend a better USB drive.

Thanks for that link. I've had a lot of trouble finding a reliable flash memory card device. Generally, for long term back up of files, I would not recommend these devices. Despite the original hype around them as being reliable because of non-moving parts etc, I have experienced greater failure with them than any other form of digital memory except floppy discs.

Back