New Build Magic Pie2

Good afternoon everyone
I would like to thank Justin for saving this forum and I would like to thank all of the forum members for being here and posting up information! I started reading here a few months ago and ordered up a Magic Pie 2 kit from Gary at Golden Motor Canada for my Gary Fisher Simple City. When I first started this project I was thinking I was going to go mid drive but after reading and looking at kits I decided to go with the MP2 with the external controller for reliability and ease of install. I went with GM Canada because he seemed to have a good reputation(and he answered my dumb ass questions).
After I received the wheel and motor I had to open it up
New wheel open (800x450).jpg
New wheel (800x450).jpg
Looks good to me but what do I know I'm a newbie :)
After putting it back together I started the installation, I also ordered batteries from HK and a Voltz (iCharger 3010B) off of Amazon.
View attachment 3
Battery mess (450x800).jpg
After learning about Lipo (thank you for your posts nep) I charged them on the new charger and went to Kmart and bought a tool box as a carrier and put it all together.
1st edition complete (800x450).jpg

With the above set up I was cruising about 24-25 MPH on flat land with little to no wind. Up the bigger hills around here it would slow to about 22 mph without peddling. I rode back and forth to work (13 miles one way)like that until I decided I needed more power!
I then did what any sane person would do and contacted Lyen. I ordered up one of his 12 FET extreme modder controllers and installed that and now I was cruising about 27-28mph. That's really not enough.....So I took the next logical step this past weekend.

New wheel open (800x450).jpg

I opened up the motor and added some 10 gauge phase wires.
Ventilation (360x640).jpg
Phase wire upgrade (450x800).jpg

And I drilled a few ventilation holes and programmed the controller for 50 amps continuous and 140 phase amps. Now I am cruising at 28-29 MPH. Still not fast enough so I guess I will be ordering 4 more Turnigy Hard Case 4s1p 5000MAH batteries and get up to about 60 volts and 20 amh.

Andy

I forgot to mention my Voltz charger caught on fire so I ended up sending that back for a refund and I bought an FMA CellPro 6 which I like much better anyway.
Moral is don't buy leftover, discounted chargers off of Amazon.

I also made some torque arms up because my axle was trying to twist. It was trying to twist before I started my speed quest so I knew I better do something.

CAD cardboard aided design
CAD Torque arm (450x800).jpg
Torque arm 1 (450x800).jpg

I haven't gotten a Cycle Analyst yet. I did buy a Turnigy Watt Meter but it arrived DOA!

Back