News of the Weird

Hitchhiking Robot Sets Out on Epic Journey Across Canada

140728-hitchbot-6a_c729adf5bca53dc4e9cbb914546dfa65.nbcnews-ux-1360-900.jpg

NBCNEWS said:
A hitchhiking robot has set out on a 3,870 mile journey that will see it travel across Canada relying solely on the kindness of human strangers.

HitchBOT, which began its epic voyage outside Halifax on Sunday, is undertaking the journey as part of a social experiment to see if it can arrive in one piece at an art gallery in Victoria, British Columbia.

...and at the end of the journey it will apply for a staff position on Mystery Science Theater 3000.
Roger Roger. KF

Watch Your Step: Yet Another Giant Hole Found in Siberia

Btm0l8ACEAA7_B5.jpg

NBCNEWS said:
If you're traveling to the northern reaches of Siberia, you should probably watch your step: The place appears to be positively perforated with massive, unexplained-as-yet craters. The third such giant hole to be discovered in as many weeks is located some distance to the east of the first two, on a neighboring peninsula known as Taymyr. Unlike the first hole, which may be as wide as 100 feet, the third is only of a modest size — perhaps 10 to 15 feet wide. But the small opening hides a shaft reported to be hundreds of feet deep. The Siberian Times reports that local herders found it by nearly stepping in it, then took pictures to share with scientists in the region.

Although we are only hearing about them now, these holes aren't exactly new, and they may not even be rare — just not well documented. The first is estimated to have formed within the last two years, and the second is even dated: locals remember smoke and a flash occurring last year on Sept. 27 — consistent with the leading theory that the holes are caused by natural gas deposits bursting. The third hole's origins, however, may be different; further study is planned.

Hmm, most curious... and yet - I am reminded of something quite similar!

H.G. Wells said:
…very early in the morning poor Ogilvy, who had seen the shooting star, and who was persuaded that a meteorite lay somewhere on the common between Horsell, Ottershaw and Woking, rose early with the idea of finding it. Find it he did, soon after dawn, and not far from the sand-pits. An enormous hole had been made by the impact of the projectile, and the sand and gravel had been flung violently in every direction over the heath and heather, forming heaps visible a mile and a half away. The heather was on fire eastward, and a thin blue smoke rose against the dawn.

The Thing itself lay almost entirely buried in sand, amidst the scattered splinters of a fir-tree it had shivered to fragments in its descent, The uncovered part had the appearance of a huge cylinder, caked over, and its outline softened by a thick, scaly, dun-coloured incrustation. It had a diameter of about thirty yards. He approached the mass, surprised at the size and more so at the shape, since most meteorites are rounded more or less completely. It was, however, still so hot from its flight through the air as to forbid his near approach. A stirring noise within its cylinder he ascribed to the unequal cooling of its surface; for at that time it had not occurred to him that it might be hollow.

He remained standing at the edge of the pit that the thing had made for itself, staring at its strange appearance, astonished chiefly at its unusual shape and colour, and dimly perceiving even then some evidence of design in its arrival. The early morning was wonderfully still, and the sun, just clearing the pinetrees towards Weybridge, was already warm. He did not remember hearing any birds that morning, there was certainly no breeze stirring, and the only sounds were the faint movements from within the cindery cylinder. He was all alone on the common.

Then suddenly he noticed with a start that some of the gray clinker, the ashy incrustation that covered the meteorite, was falling off the circular edge of the end. It was dropping off in flakes and raining down upon the sand. A large piece suddenly came off and fell with a sharp noise that brought his heart into his mouth.

For a minute he scarcely realized what this meant, and, although the heat was excessive, he clambered down into the pit close to the bulk to see the thing more clearly. He fancied even then that the cooling of the body might account for this, but what disturbed that idea was the fact that the ash was falling only from the end of the cylinder.

And then he perceived that, very slowly, the circular top of the cylinder was rotating on its body. It was such a gradual movement that he discovered it only through noticing that a black mark that had been near him five minutes ago was now at the other side of the circumference. Even then he scarcely understood what this indicated, until he heard a muffled grating sound and saw the black mark jerk forward an inch or so. Then the thing came upon him in a flash. The cylinder was artificial hollow with an end that screwed out! Something within the cylinder was unscrewing the top!

'Good heavens!' said Ogilvy. 'There's a man in it - men in it! Half roasted to death! Trying to escape!'

H.G. Wells said:
No one would have believed, in the last years of the nineteenth century, that human affairs were being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own...

... from War of the Worlds, 1897

Be afraid! KF :wink:

Kyrgyz inventor turns van into mobile sauna

Click for Reuters Video

A villager in a remote part of Kyrgyzstan is offering rural shepherds the chance to rest their aching limbs with a scenic spa inside his van-cum-sauna. Ernist Ymanov re-designed his old wagon by adding a stove and water canister inside, and has found local herdsmen eager to give the machine a try. Jim Drury reports.

Good clean humor! KF :lol:

Bryan Cranston Secretly Cosplayed As Walter White at Comic-Con

18uo6qqam9vf6jpg.jpg

18uo6shfpp7x9jpg.jpg

posted on 7/22/13 said:
At yesterday's (sic) San Diego Comic-Con Breaking Bad panel, Bryan Cranston shocked fans when he revealed that the man who was walking around the convention center wearing a lifelike Walter White mask was actually Walter White.

That is to say, it was actually Cranston cosplaying as his own character.

The actor went on to say that he had been chatting up unsuspecting fans while disguising his voice "in a higher register."

Cranston's co-star Aaron Paul noted that Cranston was "the most professional person I’ve ever worked with but also the most immature man I’ve ever experienced, as you can tell. Which is a beautiful combination."

I missed this one when it came out last year :lol:
Better late than never. KF

Kingfish said:
Bryan Cranston Secretly Cosplayed As Walter White at Comic-Con

18uo6qqam9vf6jpg.jpg

18uo6shfpp7x9jpg.jpg

posted on 7/22/13 said:
At yesterday's (sic) San Diego Comic-Con Breaking Bad panel, Bryan Cranston shocked fans when he revealed that the man who was walking around the convention center wearing a lifelike Walter White mask was actually Walter White.

That is to say, it was actually Cranston cosplaying as his own character.

The actor went on to say that he had been chatting up unsuspecting fans while disguising his voice "in a higher register."

Cranston's co-star Aaron Paul noted that Cranston was "the most professional person I’ve ever worked with but also the most immature man I’ve ever experienced, as you can tell. Which is a beautiful combination."

I missed this one when it came out last year :lol:
Better late than never. KF

I watched that last year, it was hilarious! Those guys are so fun.

Rent-a-Hunk Service 'Manservants' Launches, Sans Sex

BtwKAT7CQAEbSz3.jpg

NBCNEWS said:
The fashionable women of San Francisco can finally live out their “Downtown Abbey” fantasies with Manservants. No longer will they have to pour their own champagne, hold their own umbrellas or feel alone at the club. Instead, they can simply head to Manservants.co and rent some handsome young men to serve them. No, these are not strippers or gigolos. (The service explicitly promises "no banana hammocks"). These are men of good breeding who have gone through background checks and an interview process. Men who wear tuxedos, even in casual situations. Men who will "answer to the name you've bestowed upon him, whether it's Garçon, Bartholomew, or Ryan Gosling." The men get something out of the experience too: at least $80 an hour. So pull out those credit cards, ladies; it's time to blow some Silicon Valley cash and party like it's 1799.

From the website:
You know you want it!
You know you've arrived when you have your own personal ManServant. With flawless personalized attention to detail, your ManServant handles your request with unobtrusive grace. Be prepared for an experience that caters to your individual requests, no matter how great or small, at any hour of the day and night. My goal is to greatly exceed your expectations.

Uncompromising Standards
From drawing a rose-petaled candlelit bath to pouring your cocktail, whatever your whims, your personal ManServant is here to make sure your desires are fulfilled and is beyond flawless.

I dunno, the phone hasn't rung yet. :p
<yawn> KF
PS, here's the link again ladies: Manservant.co

Dauntless said:
The women making the offer never quite look like that, so I keep turning them down.
Regardless how many ebikes they got??? :shock:

Ypedal said:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaymendrawvag/gay-men-draw-vaginas?ref=home_popular

How the frack can this have raised 24 grand ? ..... fuuuuuuuck.. i'm in the wrong business.
Wait, think about it: $24k / 220 pages = $109.09 / drawing.
Plus - there are costs to production, publishing, and distribution.

Not a terribly profitable adventure. Just bizarre, when not disturbed.
...and admittedly I've had to put off eating breakfast this morning.

Imagining roses, not monsters. KF

LockH said:
Dauntless said:
The women making the offer never quite look like that, so I keep turning them down.
Regardless how many ebikes they got??? :shock:

Ah, the beauty of ES. You learn to build your own. In fact the women who look like that want someone to provide THEM with the bikes. THEY do all the serving.

Kingfish said:
Ypedal said:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaymendrawvag/gay-men-draw-vaginas?ref=home_popular

How the frack can this have raised 24 grand ? ..... fuuuuuuuck.. i'm in the wrong business.
Wait, think about it: $24k / 220 pages = $109.09 / drawing.
Plus - there are costs to production, publishing, and distribution.

Not a terribly profitable adventure. Just bizarre, when not disturbed.
...and admittedly I've had to put off eating breakfast this morning.

Imagining roses, not monsters. KF

How do they know that's really what they're drawing?

Ypedal said:

Because the gay and lesbian community's are hard working people who have money. They stick together out of necessity and have ended up with power and financial resources in the creative arts. Hollywood, my home stomping ground is full of them. Not that I like it much, but when your neighbors happen to be homosexual men or women, and they are good neighbors, what do you do? You end up liking them because they are good people.

Besides that, they are (IMO) sexually perverse because they like it that way and don't mind spending money on perverse things. Soooo....if you want to make money this way, embrace the "gay and lesbian" community and offer them something that makes them look normal or sexy or erotic and they will pay you money. I learned this long ago when I worked for a producer(ran his post production facility for 2 years) who made a movie I didn't work on called Man of the Year....It had a "captive" audience in the LGBT community and did well for a little independent movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113756/

:D

Selfie Monkey Was 'My Assistant,' Legal-Battle Photographer Says

A photographer whose camera was used by a monkey to take a selfie told Thursday of his anger at the copyright battle over the image. Nature photographer David Slater saw a troupe of crested black macaques in an Indonesian forest in 2011. One of the animals grabbed his camera and began taking shots including an amazing selfie. But the picture appeared on Wikimedia Commons, a collection of images free for public use.

The Wikimedia Foundation agreed with uploader of the image, ruling that the monkey had taken the shot and, since monkeys can't hold copyrights, the image is in the public domain. Slater plans legal action, saying that the photo is his because he supplied and set up the camera. “In law, if I have an assistant then I still own the copyright,” he said. “I believe there’s a case to be had that the monkey was my assistant.” Slater, from Gloucestershire, England, says he has lost tens of thousands of dollars in revenue.

BuYPK3ACYAEicye.png:large

This has to be the best selfie ever taken! :lol:
Charmed too, I'm sure. KF

Thought this was funny/sad and interesting..
Commercial sex work per hour is getting cheaper this study says... as well as more competition in the market place it says the shift toward online sex advertising has lessened the need for workers to pay intermediary costs such as brothels, agencies, pimps and madams, which could mean their incomes may not have fallen as much as the price decline suggests.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101917033

This officers record number of complaints is sorta weird:

[youtube]ErASUGL00gQ[/youtube]

[youtube]o9BqrSAHbTc[/youtube]

Incredible what lies beneath :wink:
Freckled and proud! KF

Kingfish said:
[youtube]o9BqrSAHbTc[/youtube]

Incredible what lies beneath :wink:
Freckled and proud! KF
Wow, what a fantastic sun awareness video. I have seen those UV camera face exposure shots on the odd local news article in the past in AU but its not nearly enough. Some of those faces remind me of braised chicken skin in the oven.

Australia has the biggest skin cancer rate in the world. What I have long found interesting is seeing European girls come down the AU beaches and bbq them selves and they think its healthy.
The most active slogan for sun awareness they have in Australia is 'There is nothing healthy about a tan', and its true I believe during their euro winters some young girl friend will come back from a south east asia/down under etc holiday looking all golden and healthy but its got nothing to do with the sun exposure and EVERYTHING to do with the EXERCISE she got moving around and doing things. Sitting on your butt getting BBQed in the suns radiation with no exercise is going to make one look as nasty as the worst UV facecam exposure shot in that video.
But its going to take decades for everyone in Europe to finally learn that. Plenty of middle aged women down here with the most leathery faces have spent their life to work that out spend the rest of their life fighting skin cancer.

Ebike explodes while dudes riding it.... Got a feeling its one competitors
trolling an other... But still there's a dead guy http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjIxNjM2OTQ0.html?tpa=dW5pb25faWQ9MTAyMjEzXzEwMDAwMl8wMV8wMQ&x=&from=singlemessage&isappinstalled=0

t3sla said:
Ebike explodes while dudes riding it.... Got a feeling its one competitors
trolling an other... But still there's a dead guy http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjIxNjM2OTQ0.html?tpa=dW5pb25faWQ9MTAyMjEzXzEwMDAwMl8wMV8wMQ&x=&from=singlemessage&isappinstalled=0

We are very sorry, Youku unable to find the address of your visit.

You might encounter the following issues:

• The video may have been deleted by the user themselves, or because of violation of the relevant provisions have been deleted Youku.
• If you are outside the station while searching through a problem, please click here to search again in the station.
• If you have a problem in the address bar or copy and paste the address, please check the address is spelled correctly.
• If you are clicking the website link and YouKu problems, please click here and we will History and analyze the cause of the error, thank you!

^ Is that because I'm in the US? or is it really gone?

Back