Ninecontinents

CTJ

100 µW
Hello,
I am considering this kit: (In german)

http://www.activeshop24.de/Umruestsaetze/Sets--NineContinent-/Umruestsatz-26--250W.html

Can you see what model of 9c that hub is? I read 9c-154 has 195mm hub diameter, but this one looks smaller. Do you know what the diameter of the hub is?

I have a 37v 10amp battery lithium. that I will use on it if its possible(?).

It will be used as bicycling to work in normal speed like 20-30 km/h with easy pedalling. I am 75 kilo´s. Semi-sporty bicycle.

Is this kit useful, and capable of that. Reliable quality, quiet? Anything to be aware of? Like Gearing/winding?

Thanks alot
Carsten J

DK

Niches schprecken zie duetch - It does look small for a 9c motor, but I'm no expert. The controller looks like mine, I have a 9c w/36volt 10ah lipo4. It goes 20 mph w/ 22amp controller on the flats. 12-14 mile range w/moderate peddling

I don't speak German, but I do speak Tech. Thats a 250watt version of the 9C. we don't get them in the west, but wouldn't want them either.

The 500 watt motor is great. I have one and love it. its very quiet, not quite silent but close. the normal version here is good for more than 30kph at 36 volts, but there are other versions that go both faster and slower, all with good power for accelerating.

A 250 watt motor, in my oppinion, would bearly make up for the extra weight it would cause. You would need to be very lazy before it was of any real use.

geetarboy said:
Niches schprecken zie duetch - It does look small for a 9c motor, but I'm no expert. The controller looks like mine, I have a 9c w/36volt 10ah lipo4. It goes 20 mph w/ 22amp controller on the flats. 12-14 mile range w/moderate peddling

Are your motor a 250 watt?
edit - oh yes I live in Denmark, member of a german, english and now this american forum cause it seems lot of users on here.

Hi Carsten,

Depends what you are looking for. Are you looking for something that will give you a little assistance or a lot of assistance?

I would recommend you only get the 9c if you are looking for a fair bit of assistance. Its a heavy motor 5kg+ and is direct drive. I had a 200w (probably same as 250w) it runs fairly quiet and can pack quite a punch on take off and can climb hills pretty well. To get the most out of this motor you really need to run it at 48v where it really flies!

If you are running on 36v and only want 250w then you would be better off getting a smaller geared motor which would be half the weight and can freewheel as well.

I got some photos of my 9c hub here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15720

Kefa

Actually I had a geared 250 watt before (16,5 cm diameter so atleast not smallish), wonder HOW much lazier this will be. I AM listening to you guys ; ) but before letting the 9c 250 w go, are they found in different windings/"gearings"?
THx CJ

After hitting the translate button I could understand it. Needs no eggs is a new one though.

Anyway, it's a regular 9c motor, but it doesn't say what winding. The controller looks to be a 17 amp version of the 22 amp infineon we get here in the US. It has a jumper wire on it that takes it down to euro standards. Just don't tell anybody you are riding with it unplugged in the high watt mode.

It should run fine on your battery as long as it's capable of 17 amps continuous discharge.

the motor sure looks small in the picture, laced into a 28" rim.

I've seen another euro vendor that was selling the 9 c motor. I believe he had some that were wound slower than the 9x7 we see a lot. I will guess its one wound a bit slower, so 25 -30 kph max speed in the high watt mode, and half that with the jumper attached. You could ride legal, and then unplug the wire for off road or hills.

dogman:
" It has a jumper wire on it that takes it down to euro standards. Just don't tell anybody you are riding with it unplugged in the high watt mode."

- How many watts would the high watt mode be?

"It should run fine on your battery as long as it's capable of 17 amps continuous discharge. "

- Not sure about the capabillity of the batt. though it looks and feels like quality.

"the motor sure looks small in the picture, laced into a 28" rim."

- Actually I now measured the picture of the rim mm by mm and it seems about 20cm, so normal size. But slightly different look.

The other european site you have seen might have been this one:

http://wilkotec.de/bicycle-motor-set/Front-wheel-with-HUB-motor-FH-154-28-36V-250W::33.html?XTCsid=772eba985d01076b6f1dbf179a7c729d

thx
Carsten

By the way!
Are variable speed-control possible with gearless/directdrive motors? :oops:

There is so much to explain, it's hard to type it over and over, even for me. A really good explanation of how motors and controllers work is at Ebikes-ca. They are a really great vendor and innovator of ebikes in canada.

The kit I looked at on the german site was 250 watts with the jumper wire connected, 750 without it connected. Watts is amps x volts so 36x 17 for that kit. The motor will only draw 17 amps when starting, climbing hills, or riding into lots of wind. It should draw less at slow speeds or if you pedal a lot.

A 36v 10 ah lithium battery should allow 10 amps output for sure. Or more, depending on the quality of the cells. Many are said to be able to discharge at 2c, which is 20 amps for a 10 ah battery. But often they last much longer at 10 amps. In any case, if you run the motor at 250 watts most of the time, you will have no problems at such low wattage. If you run it at 750, then try to start off slower instead of slamming on full throttle, and pedal briskly. If you have flat ground, you shoud be ok with a 10 ah battery.

The throttle on both gear motors and direct drive motors gives you variable output, so you can vary speed, or if climbing a hill, vary the rate of power used to get up it. On a gearmotor, the motor gets a mechanical advantage from internal planetary gears. this allows a gearmotor to have good tourqe despite the use of a small motor. With direct drive motors, larger diameter motors have the best torque. The 9c is one of the larger diameter motors. In pictures, it looks big when mounted in 26 inch rims, and it looks huge in a 20" rim.

I couldn't say what the other site I saw was called, but it was a spanish vendor.

Hej Carsten,
I am an American living in Sweden, I feel your pain. I searched everywhere for months looking for and electric bike kit in Europe that could match the power of electric bike kits found in the US. I found none. I test rode several electric bikes here and could not believe how weak they where. 180w and 250w is all that was available.
I ended up buying a 500W Nine Continents with 25A Controller from eco-wheelz.com, or you can also check out e-bikekit.com it is the same kit I had to pay an extra 80 bucks for shipping to sweden I think it is cheap considering I have the fastest ebike kit in Stockholm.

I bought the 48v 10ah battery from China from some guy named ping.com that drives my ebike to the 40 kmh speed. My kit rocks I had so much fun hauling ass on all these killer bike paths that we have here in stockholm sweden. Now the weather is between -15 to -5 so I am waiting until it gets warmer so I can start riding again.

By the way I learned everything I know from all the excellent members of this great forum.

here is a video you can check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81AOvKwSBxM

Drunkskunk said:
I don't speak German, but I do speak Tech. Thats a 250watt version of the 9C. we don't get them in the west, but wouldn't want them either.

The 500 watt motor is great. I have one and love it. its very quiet, not quite silent but close. the normal version here is good for more than 30kph at 36 volts, but there are other versions that go both faster and slower, all with good power for accelerating.

A 250 watt motor, in my oppinion, would bearly make up for the extra weight it would cause. You would need to be very lazy before it was of any real use.

You are speaking from ignorance.

I have that motor and at 60v 30amps it's a little ripper. Will spin front wheel in wet, chirp it in the dry. I cruise at 40-45kmh.

At 250w it sucks. At 1300w+, the same motor is great too.

Hi Racer-X
What a nice video and powerful bike! whatch those curbs lol. Thx for the links, gonna checking them out now.
CJ

I am pretty sure ebikes.ca will ship just about anywhere in the world and have 9C and Crystalyte motors - I just ordered a 9C five turn motor on a 26" MTB rim. Get a 48V35A 12FET controller and hot-rod it a little bit - there are several available on the forum all set to go. Contact Ping and ask for a 48V20ah 3v priced with shipping to your country. Mount to frame of your choice. $1500USD. 60khp+ easy.

How much do you want to break the law where you live (this rig will pull about 2kW continuous, 4kW peak - that is certainly illegal as an ebike everywhere)? How well enforced is it? What are the consequences of arrest?

Back