Nissan Leaf Cells Test Data

Leaf Modules back in stock.
http://hybridautocenter.com/HAC4/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=category&task=listing&cid=14&name=lithium-batteries-and-packs&Itemid=605

subscribed

Does anyone know how tall is a module taken out of the can? How much height could be saved. I have 5 modules and need to fit 6 in the same box. I wander if cells are take out of the cans, can they be stacked securely. If someone knows disassembled module height, let me know.

Bare cells are 282mm tall. You won't save much space tall wise out of the can, probably 20mm, unless you cut off the copper bus bars and connect directly to the cell tabs.

If you can support the cells well, and apply the proper pressure to the cells, you should have no problem.

I made fibreglass open back boxes and mounted my cells on their sides, with foam carpet pad support and pressure and they are firmly held in place on the rocky road I have to ride on.

Thickness wise, you can save over 20mm per 4 bare cells compared to can thickness.

Hope you can understand what I wrote. :roll: :)

Tall as if they were laying flat i mean thickness. I would like to stack them same way they are in the can, just loose the casing. I know aluminium can does not add up to the thickness but the edge and the spacer that goes in between the cans adds up. Herw is my box but if i could squeeze in 6 modules, would be great:
20141108_114824.jpg

HAC has the individual cell specs vs module specs listed on their page. Just do some simple math :D

The data sheet says the 2s2p module is 35mm thick.
Individual cells are stated as being 7.1mm thick x 4 = 28.4mm , but mounted in the module they have that foam padding between cells.
You currently have 5 modules, so I guess your box is 175mm 'thick' inside, so theoretically you could fit 6 modules worth of cells (24 x 7.1 = 170.4mm) if you can scrap most of the padding off the cells without damaging them.

I took apart one of those Leaf modules. Yes there's a 1/64" pad on the inside of the aluminum can. Despite some care (not enough) I tore the foil of the cell. I'll turn it in to county hazardous and let them worry. I've lucked out, but I did just read this re Lithium bike batteries:

Baltik Vairas found that the batteries could suffer from a defective sealing if the instructions in the owners’ manual were not followed precisely. This could result in moisture accumulation in the battery which in turn can lead to self-ignition.

I watched a video on youtube of a guy taking apart a module. It looks like waay too much work, and too much risk to the cells. So i am keeping them in modules and will just accept the extra 12% weight and volume.

Perhaps Leaf gurus here can comment on this. I got my pack assembled and was testing my bike. Then checked that cells are sitting at 3.2V so i decided to make a harness to charge them up using my BC168 balance charger. I have set it for 3.8V overnight. When i came one module cell was at 2.5V :shock:, That was a shocker, so quickly i set all of them to balance to 3.92V and after 2 days the same cell was at 4.22V when others charged up to a set voltage of 3.92V. I have left cell sitting disconnected for 4 days now and the high cell dropped to 4.18V. I wander if it got damaged or will it be OK? Very strange behavior. I have checked BC168 and other LiPo battery was charged OK on the same channel that got the cell high.

agniusm said:
Perhaps Leaf gurus here can comment on this. I got my pack assembled and was testing my bike. Then checked that cells are sitting at 3.2V so i decided to make a harness to charge them up using my BC168 balance charger. I have set it for 3.8V overnight. When i came one module cell was at 2.5V :shock:, That was a shocker, so quickly i set all of them to balance to 3.92V and after 2 days the same cell was at 4.22V when others charged up to a set voltage of 3.92V. I have left cell sitting disconnected for 4 days now and the high cell dropped to 4.18V. I wander if it got damaged or will it be OK? Very strange behavior. I have checked BC168 and other LiPo battery was charged OK on the same channel that got the cell high.

Scrap it.

Hm, that is the easiest way to go. I have few for replacement so i guess i will leave it stored somewhere safe and see whats happening with it.

Maybe someone already told this, but I have a tip that.may help taking the cells apart: nylon fishing line. It works when I try to remove other things put together with double side tape. You just need to find a way to pass the wire between the cells and pull back and forth.

veloman said:
I watched a video on youtube of a guy taking apart a module. It looks like waay too much work, and too much risk to the cells. So i am keeping them in modules and will just accept the extra 12% weight and volume.

The latest Leaf modules can be opened without cutting the Al cans etc, only simple hand tools needed.
Much easier.
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=678050&posted=1#post678050

ewinters said:
Maybe someone already told this, but I have a tip that.may help taking the cells apart: nylon fishing line. It works when I try to remove other things put together with double side tape. You just need to find a way to pass the wire between the cells and pull back and forth.
Has anyone tried a few drops of DN Alcohol ?
I have seen it used on hot melt glues, and the joint literally falls apart !
http://www.instructables.com/id/Easily-Remove-Dried-Hot-Glue-aka-Hot-Melt/

Subscribed.
Wondering how a few of these would go paralleled up in a Luna cycle given the battery space on that bike frame.

Nissan have also released the revised 30kWhr 2016 leaf (100+ mile range)
....the original 24 kWh battery is made up of 48 modules composed of 4 cells each, for a total of 192 cells. The new 30 kWh battery has double the cells per module (8), but still 192 cells in total.
....so , if my maths is up to scratch , that implies that the new modules are now 4S, 2P, using cells that are ~40 Ahr capacity ?
And there is reported to be an even bigger pack coming in 2017 !

Hillhater said:
Nissan have also released the revised 30kWhr 2016 leaf (100+ mile range)
....the original 24 kWh battery is made up of 48 modules composed of 4 cells each, for a total of 192 cells. The new 30 kWh battery has double the cells per module (8), but still 192 cells in total.
Only some new Leaf's will have the bigger pack:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...f-electric-car-driving-range-by-27-amid-slump
Nissan Motor Co. will extend the driving range of its Leaf electric car by 27 percent, aiming to reverse a sales slide as Tesla Motors Inc. and Toyota Motor Corp. introduce new models for green vehicle buyers.
The 2016 Leaf, set to begin U.S. sales this fall, adds an optional 30-kilowatt battery with a driving range of 107 miles, up from 84 miles for the current model, the Japanese carmaker said in a statement on Thursday.
[/quote]

I have just read where isopropyl (rubbing) ? alcohol will loosen the glue.

I used WD40 with the little red straw that comes taped to the can. I have a piece of hard plastic that is sharpened like a knife blade (from both sides) and then smoothed rounded corners including sharpened edge. Spray just enough between the cells to wet them, NOT flood them, wait a few seconds and GENTLY slide the plastic between the cells. GO SLOWLY so you don't PULL the foil loose from the innards and rip or cause wrinkles. Keep spraying WD40 in there and the plastic piece will nearly seperate bthe cells by itself. TINY bit of pressure and GO SLOW.

I made 5S1P (4 packs) for my bibi/moto, and used them off and on for nearly 1 year. LOTS of rain here in a 9 month period.

Recently I made up a Chevy Volt pack of 20S3P that I put into the bici/moto, and had to cut apart and add 2S from another block, to get the 20S.

Took those Leaf blocks apart GO SLOW and went to 5-- 4S1P packs for 12V (16V actual) 33Ah packs to run in Parallel for my electric winch to pull logs to the sawmill. Later on, those packs will be in the house circuit to reduce power company dependency. Rest of the Volt pack I cut apart, will be used in the house circuit as well.

Samd said:
Subscribed.
Wondering how a few of these would go paralleled up in a Luna cycle given the battery space on that bike frame.

Would love to strap some of these on an electric motorcycle build. But these Leaf cells are far too big to fit in the Luna's battery box. Could stick a bunch in some panniers and ride across states though :mrgreen:

Hey all,

I modeled all 3 types of Leaf modules and posted them on my grab cad account. There is the first gen module(older tuna can type), and the 2 different type of gen 2 modules, with bracket and without. I did not take them apart to model the guts, but the exterior dims, bolt locations ect.. are accurate.

https://grabcad.com/brock.winberg-1/projects

Thanks,
Brock

Back