Noob expat in Sweden attempting a first build

Mookie

1 µW
Hey folks, been lurking for a while but I've finally decided to join the club.

I'm thinking about building my first e-bike. Since my OG pedal bike was stolen (a mid 2000s LiteSpeed MTB) almost immediately after I moved to Stockholm a few months ago, I've been trying to decide what to do next. I've settled on a Crescent Pico Hybrid (16 speed) with Hydraulic brakes (mostly for the winter riding). It's nothing fancy but it should be a good all-rounder.
ck1237106-1.jpg

First a little background on me and what I'm looking for.

I have no car and travel primarily using the subway and the good local trains in the area. I've got a 5 year old son who doesn't quite ride yet, but up until recently sat on the back of my old bike in one of those bouncy kid seat attachments. I've also got a Thule Chariot for big grocery runs or longer trips when the weather is really shite, though he's getting too big for it now. We'd lived in Uppsala for the past two years, where there are bicycle lanes everywhere and only a couple hills here and there but now we're in STHLM and it's quite a bit hillier than Uppsala as well as more road riding in traffic. I used to be able to get anywhere in the city within a 15 minute ride, now not so much.

I'm looking to do some commuting (about 10 KM each way), as well as errands and exploring the city and surrounding countryside.

I'm in pretty decent shape for a 41 year old, at 6'1" 175#, and I actually really like the exercise and don't want to lose that aspect of riding, but I'm also not really prepared for a 20 km daily routine (yet). I am only looking for a mild assist to help either with carrying heavy loads or with the last hill or two before getting to the office/home and maybe to bump my average speed up a bit.

My priorities for a build:

Light weight, stealthy, amateur tunable and buildable with perhaps options for future upgrades. I'm not super concerned about EU legality, though that would be nice (at least if it gave that appearance). I don't want any giant color screens or wires everywhere, or really a visible battery if at all possible. I also don't want to go 50 MPH or 60 miles on a charge. I just want to pedal my bike and get a little help to keep my average speed up.

I'm thinking about using a cute Q100CST 250/350 watt motor. I haven't decided on the winding yet, probably the 201 rpm version to better help with the hills and potential loads. I'm also not sure if I can use a regular non-CST version or not with my 8 speed cassette. The non-CST version is a bit stronger, not sure if it would really matter all that much though given the modest output I'm looking for.

For a battery I was thinking of a tiny bottle battery like this (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32951953473.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.2.45922f03Ax7nL8), or possibly one of those mighty mini 52volt batteries. I understand range would be limited, but by how much, I don't know. I also understand that the life of a small battery would probably not be great unless i really managed it well, but I'm willing to trade that for the stealth and low weight (I think). Perhaps I can add a second battery later if I find a single small one too limiting? Could something like this get me close to 30 KM?

The real question I have is around controllers and the interface. I want something tiny and waterproof, maybe I can mount it down behind the crank where a kickstand would go? or, in a tiny bag if necessary with a battery. But regardless, it needs to be small and potentially be able to handle 52 volts if I go with the mighty mini. I also want to avoid any large displays. It'd be amazing if it was bluetooth compatible and I could just use my phone plus maybe a tiny set of switches for power levels. I also don't want to pay 300 bucks for a controller.

Any recommendations? I am in Europe and it's a lot harder to find stuff, especially electronics, though my wife is heading to the States for a month and can bring me back some stuff if needed.

Now that you are in Stockholm , forget about the Q100 motor, I have two and will be selling them. They are under powered , even if you think you are fit, the small motors can fry on hills and go up hills poorly .

You also want a small and water proof controller , you say , and battery pack.

Your best options ( especially with the weather in Sweden ) is

https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/controllers/phaserunner-bk.html
You say you do not want to pay $ 300 for a controller, who does ? However in a wet area of the world you will have to face reality .

You will also need ...
At least 500-750 watt motor ... https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/motors.html

And to be able to ship the battery pack at a reasonable price and/or have your Girlfriend bring them back on a Plane, get the Li-Go Packs
https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/batteries/36v-ligo-bulk-order.html
( Although the Li-Go packs are limited to 36 volts so if you want 48 or 52 volt pack you can rule them out )

You are in Sweden now, so just get the Right/ Better Products that will work better and last longer in the Environment you are now living in. It will be the same cost in the long run .

Hi
I live in Stockholm too and I've finished my first conversion a month ago. I agree with you that buying from Green will be painfully expensive for you, since products are top quality, delivery is expensive, and you will have to pay custom.

My first kit was from
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32948...id=382amp-Eo_sz08iTjDeCF8mS5kHjg1565009001265

• seller is quite responsive, he always replied to my questions
  • if you order from China, the battery is delivered with a different parcel, since it cannot be delivered by plane. It took 40 days to receive the battery
  • if you buy an hub motor you will need a torque arm. In Swedish they are called momentarm. I bought one in a shop in Sweden, but was crap, so I ended up buying another one from Germany
  • with that battery I can go 45 km without pedaling
  • I'm not sure you need a water proof controller. In Sweden it's cold but is not expecially humid. You can put the controller in the plastic box and seal it with hot glue

Either buy the MAC geared motor from em3ev.com and purchase everything else there too
https://em3ev.com/shop/upgrade-mac-ebike-kit-with-47-50v-battery-option-and-black-case-controller-2000w-max/

or the leaf 1500W direct drive motor from leafbike/leafmotor
www.leafmotor.com
www.leafbike.com
and do the same there

I forgot to remark that if you but not in Europe you should try to make the seller to pay the custom for you. Otherwise customs in Sweden will be expensive, i.e. 100 SEK + ~40%.
Even if the custom is officially less than 40%, PostNord will never believe to the Chinese invoice. They will charge for a higher estimated value.

just search elcykelkit nor elcykelbatteri and you will find front wheel motor or battery in Sweden with warranty.

Tax for buying outside eu is + 3-8% for ebike parts into Sweden and +25% tax on that aswell as +100 sek fee for handling.

Taxes in Sweden is real bad, maybe go on vacation somewhere that sells what you want, and bring it back all scuffed and marked up for their inspection :wink:

If the consensus is that the Q100 is too gutless and the bottle batteries are too impractical then I'd probably just ditch the idea of a rear hub and go instead with mid mounted motor so I can take advantage of the gearing, and since I wouldn't be going so much the stealthy route I'd feel ok about getting a larger battery.

I'd like the idea of the TSDZ2 mid motor, mostly because I'd heard it's a bit lighter weight than the comparable Bafang and that it utilizes a torque sensor rather than a PAS. If I were to go this route, there are a few different wattages to choose from. Are there any weight differences between the 750 and the 250/350/500 watt versions? Would I regret not getting a 52 volt 750 and going for the EU legal 250 watt version instead? Can I unlock additional wattage if I went with the 250/350?

The Q100 if fine , On Flat Ground and with no headwind , Hills is where the Q100 shows how wimpy / low power and prone to stalling , it is. So it is not gutless in a place that is flat , and has less than 15 kph of wind.

The Mac motor is a great motor but I think a little too much weight for a Road Bike's Frame.

since you say you are going up hills a mid drive would be good.
I was looking at the TSDZ2 for a while but it seems it does not work good/optimal , unless you know how to do computer programing .
In theory a torque sensor works better , and perhaps it does, however I only use throttles. With a throttle it does not matter how weak or strong your legs and lungs are for each different day. Just apply the throttle until you get to the speed you want, then change the rear gears to find the cadence your legs and more importantly your knees like.

There is also the BBS02 which is well liked by many people, the BBHD even more , GNG in Hong Kong has a light weight small mid drive that looks very simple , the 3,000 watt one is heavy and more power than you need/want , and the X1 Pro is near to the top of your budget just for the motor not including the batteries so that is out.

You can always make a case for a controller and put wrapping or even some heat shrink around much of the wires. The wires going into the controller and out is where you need to keep out the water/moisture .

I keep forgetting about the high taxes in Europe ( Vat and import ) and in the Scandinavian countries .
so
I think you said your wife travels to the U.S. ? if so what area ? or do you have friends that travel back and forth ? From where in the U.S. ?

If so buy in the states and take back on the plane as sport equipment if they even ask at all. If you can buy something that is used ( even being tested on a bike around the block it is now used ) will have a lower claimed value for taxes/import fees.

Batteries are a different story, cannot take them on the plane unless they are as small as each of Grin's LiGo packs.

Bottle Batteries for bikes/motors that run on 19 or less amps . ( check the controller for it's max amp rating )

Custom made batteries ( Em3ev and Luna and Grin ) for controllers 25 amps , up to 30 amps if at least 6 in parallel.

or

For Small inexpensive but labor intensive batteries Hobbyking Lipo's for low cost , and high amp outputs , but budget $ 150 or more for Charger and Power Supply . ( If you go that way I can tell you how to modify a used HP Server Power Supply. ( there are a couple of youtube videos as well on this , just do not parallel two of them , that takes allot of work to have it work safely , just get a 750 or 1200 watt one . Nothing less .

Mookie said:
If the consensus is that the Q100 is too gutless and the bottle batteries are too impractical then I'd probably just ditch the idea of a rear hub and go instead with mid mounted motor so I can take advantage of the gearing, and since I wouldn't be going so much the stealthy route I'd feel ok about getting a larger battery.

I'd like the idea of the TSDZ2 mid motor, mostly because I'd heard it's a bit lighter weight than the comparable Bafang and that it utilizes a torque sensor rather than a PAS. If I were to go this route, there are a few different wattages to choose from. Are there any weight differences between the 750 and the 250/350/500 watt versions? Would I regret not getting a 52 volt 750 and going for the EU legal 250 watt version instead? Can I unlock additional wattage if I went with the 250/350?

Back