Only the poor want ebikes

Since I've started going to client meetings on an electric motorcycle, I've spoken to a lot of executives about electric vehicles. At least one has told me he bought a Bosch based mid drive with a Nuvinci IGH. Another has told me he's bought a top of the line Zero. (Forgot which model)

To these execs earning $250-500k, even an expensive ebike is just a toy.

The poor may want them out of necessity, bt you probably don't see the rich who have them as toys if you don't have much contact in those circles.

It's the middle class who can afford cars but can't really afford toys on top of a car that don't have that much interest, unless you have a Scandinavian or Asian type transport culture... Aleays exceptions.

I moved to the desert.
At first i could not exercise in the summer heat 110F.
I soon weighed 350 pounds plus.
I tried a bicycle. I could ride out, but NOT back.
A 250 Dollar ice happytime Chinese motorized bicycle kit solved the problem.
I soon weighed 180 pounds. I still do.
The Castor exhaust fumes caused Diarrhea. Why do you think the WW1 flying aces used scarfs, they kind of filtered the inhaled air and castor smoke.
Electric was the way to go.
Advantages
1 shopping .I go shopping with $50.00 in my pocket. I spend all of the $50.00 on food and beer.
The elderly who observe me want to know how much it costs to shop on a motorized bicycle. They put an average of $20.00 in the tank and buy $30.00 worth of food. They all want a motorized bicycle for errands and shopping.

2 Health . At 360 pounds I was a borderline Diabetic No more at 180 pounds.
I ride every day wind permitting.
I feel good .

neptronix said:
Well actually i did the calculations long ago. Food energy is super carbon and petrochemical intensive today, from the soil to the store. So unless you grow your own veggies yourself, use the throttle :mrgreen:

On a per dollar basis, even if you are eating cheaply, food energy is expensive per mile because human beings are so inefficient at using food... we're kind of like internal combustion engines in that regard. A majority of what you put in your mouth comes out the other end unburned.. :lol:

An ebike really shines in alll sitatuions and by all calculations i've done.. even including battery degredation per mile.
5 decades ago when I decided on a list of "I'll never(s)" I read a caloric study that indicated for calories expended and distance traveled, nothing was as efficient as a bicycle.

tomjasz said:
5 decades ago when I decided on a list of "I'll never(s)" I read a caloric study that indicated for calories expended and distance traveled, nothing was as efficient as a bicycle.

Maybe. But food is dramatically more expensive than electrons and they probably didn't use as many petrochemicals, herbicides, and other nasty stuff 5 decades ago.

They also didn't have 90% efficient electric bikes to compare to. On an economics comparison and a watts per mile comparison, electrons win. ( otherwise human power would have prevented the industrial revolution from ever happening. )

That being said, i still find pedaling to be a thrill, even on an unpowered bike. Good hormone and all around health boost.. :)

neptronix said:
But food is dramatically more expensive than electrons and they probably didn't use as many petrochemicals, herbicides, and other nasty stuff 5 decades ago.

Health care and nursing home care are dramatically more expensive than food, and those are a couple of the enhanced features of a motor driven lifestyle versus a muscle powered one.

neptronix said:
they probably didn't use as many petrochemicals, herbicides, and other nasty stuff 5 decades ago.
Nastier and without regulation and review...

I see the same kinda thing around here. This is what I got over the last month. pretty standard around here.
-Lady who runs a dry cleaner and carries sewing to and from home. She loved my budget trike build but even my cost of $600ish was too much.
-Taking a trike when I volunteer at the food bank always gets lots of attention. Taking one that's electric is like pulling up in a stretched limo.
-Lots of "home free" people love any electric bike I'm riding because I always have storage for at least six beers. They always want to know if it will make it as far as the next town over and the local probation office.
-Couple DUI people. I've scored a bunch of airline bottles over the years as thanks for letting them take my bikes for a spin. Almost always 99 bananas. Which I've strangely taken a liking to. First two questions are always "how fast does it go" and "do you ever get hassled by the man"? Luckily I haven't been hassled by my the man because in my country you consume liquor gifts on the spot to show gratitude.
-Lots of retired people who can't bicycle due to the hills around here. They never like the price but love being able to wander around town when they do buy in. I feel like $500 or under would have them interested.
-Stoners think they're rad and are blown away by the cost per mile. "Dude, for the cost of a gram, you can drive like, all year man!" I always let them go for rides. They never break 10mph.

People like me make up most of what I see around here. Not rich but not poor. Also have a car. Even split between hub motors and BBSxx with self assembled kits. Stick to 20ish mph. Almost always fat bikes or mountain bikes with semi slick tires. It's a nice group. Almost everyone uses them for commuting and pleasure.

I also see some fancy electric recumbent's. They are never very friendly.

Chalo said:
neptronix said:
But food is dramatically more expensive than electrons and they probably didn't use as many petrochemicals, herbicides, and other nasty stuff 5 decades ago.

Health care and nursing home care are dramatically more expensive than food, and those are a couple of the enhanced features of a motor driven lifestyle versus a muscle powered one.

Indeed, every 10% increase in muscle mass equates to an 11% reduction in insulin resistance, and leg muscles are THE muscle group with the most potential for muscle mass.

(But, the muscle mass for the entire upper body, including back/abdominals/torso/arms/etc. seems like it can be comparable.)

Having said that, whatever the mode of muscle power, hills and mountains are ones friend. In the context of biking, windy days might be a good substitute.

CaliClouds said:
They never like the price...

Funny. It's their wallets I try and appeal to. For example, local to me can finance the purchase of one new ebike (w/warranty) with a thing "good credit rating" where monthly loan payments are about HALF of a monthly pass on pubic transit. With no more "last mile"... always a free seat... operates 24/7... arguably cheaper than the food energy to pedal an old, antique, pedal-only Poop-Mobile... No more hills to climb... Battery "refills" using gravity and regen...

Reasons why the ebike is a world beater thread.:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58884

:mrgreen:

(Sorry about spelling. My spellchecker misbehaving.)

What has gotten the most interest in my ebike from my car driving friends is when we both leave the same location for the same destination in busy city traffic, and I arrive well before they do. Most people have no idea how low their average speed in a car is in the city until their 300HP car gets its ass whooped by a 1.5HP bike.

I've had this experience 3 times now, with 3 different friends, and they are all now either in possession of an ebike or in the process of building one.

People just like to win.

neptronix said:
That's more of a bike problem than an ebike problem unfortunately.

Think about it this way. If you ignore the fact that a car is very expensive to purchase and run by comparison, destroys the environment, eats up space, and is generally a massive waste of resources in half the situations it's used in... from an end user standpoint, a car is very superior to a bike for one reason... comfort and convenience.

Then there's the practical stuff you can't deny. The carrying capacity, range, and speed of a car beats everything else. A car has massive utility and a 2 wheeled vehicle of any sort... not so much.

Every time you see someone going out to a restaurant.. buying things they don't really need.. driving a car.. or something else they could live without.. they're seeking comfort and convenience, and that seems to sell more than utility ever does. But some people will buy excessive utility and never use it just to be opulent and pretend to be 'safer', hence the SUV..

A bicycle is a pretty spartan thing. It takes a certain toughness and lack of concern about social heirarchy positioning to reject the opportunity of sitting on a cushy seat in an air conditioned box versus facing the elements and the potential for getting accidentally murdered by someone else in an air conditioned box, of which ~99% of what travels on roads happens to be. Bicycle commuters are oddballs and you'll notice that you won't find many of them outside urban areas where the car begins to get disadvantaged by lack of space.

Poor people don't necessarily have toughness. Most of them lust for the comfort and convenience they see around them. Many of them are accommodated to comfort and convenience in the past and see themselves as just temporarily missing it due to their lack of income. Many of them So when they see a $2000 price tag on a used car and $2000 for a new bike and the used car is the obvious choice to them. They will only ride a bike when they are really dirt poor. So most of these people just don't see bicycles the same way me and you do.

I have a hard time arguing in favor of the ebike in these days of cheap oil. I have a hard time being the only bicycle commuter on the road in my burb on a perfect 70 degree day where riding a bike should be the obvious choice because no AC or heat is required. I have a hard time knowing we could put a dent in the national deficit, our own pocketbooks, type 2 diabetes, obesity, asthma, heart disease, war, and other conveniently forgotten externalities of chronic car usage by simply riding a bike. It kinda drives me nuts but i understand that my thinking is way different than most of America's.

I utterly despise SUVS. I see so many single parents where I live oh I got a kid gotta get rid of my car and get a giant suv. That stays empty as shit is under utilized and just costs its dumb ass parent more money than needed. I i know if they where smart they would not be a single parent in the first place but it makes no frocking sense to get one just to go to and from work. If I didn't despise S.U.Vs at least I would use the space for buying more used bikes and computers to fix up and flip the space would serve a purpose and it wouldn't be my daily driver.

boytitan said:
I utterly despise SUVS. I see so many single parents where I live oh I got a kid gotta get rid of my car and get a giant suv.

I have to say, I used to be the same. Dangerous, polluting, unnecessary and tacky displays of arrogance and wealth. It didn't help I worked with a guy who loved the biggest of the big ones, and on more than one occasion, said something along the lines of "Bugger it, they may have right of way, but nobody challenges a 2.5 tonne truck bearing down on them!", or something to that effect.

But when it came to replacing the family sedan, I wanted plugin hybrid, and the Outlander was the only plugin hybrid available for another 6 months. It was a smaller SUV - somewhere between a wagon and a SUV. I have to say I'm sold now. The slightly higher height makes putting kids in easier on the back - and I'm saying this as a young fit 30-something year old. The flat lip makes putting in and pulling out the pram so much easier. It used to annoy me that my wife kept putting new dents and scratches on the rear bumper trying to lift the pram over the lip. Now, it's just lift and slide it in. The near cubical back section means we can fit nearly 3x as much in, despite the actual volume probably only being 1.5x bigger. And that counts if you've ever packed for kids. We used to travel for a week on carry-on only. We can only survive 24 hours with the biggest carry-on now. Any time we go away even overnight, there's a portacot, toys, 5 changes of clothing per child, (well down to 2 for the older one now).

So if you've never gone from Sedan to SUV with two small children, hold off judgement. I went from buying >2200L of petrol a year, to buying about 120L a year, and my electricity bill has only gone up a little. It's made a big difference to our lives. Single parents have enough of a hard time going on without having to worry if they have the right gear in the back of their car, and whether they need to keep swapping things around because they don't all fit.

In my area, most electric bike users seem to be people who have lost their driver's licence or who can't get one. They tend to gravitate toward the scooter style e-bike as opposed to a bicycle conversion. I have had the odd chat over the last few years with people who liked the idea for being "green" and to provide assist for people with physical problems like bad knees etc... I rarely see anyone commuting on an electric bicycle though. As others have experienced; the price tag usually puts off people looking for an economical way to get around weather they appear to be poor or generally interested in e bikes. Cycling is not overly popular where I live; but big enough to have a couple dedicated bicycle shops. I figured I'd share my observations.

We now have one bike shop in Wichita that carries/builds ebikes. In a town of 400,000 or so. I don't see many but I don't live or ride in town. I work in town. I see lots of Grom and stink bikers all the time.

I just ride mine for the fresh air and light exercise. Going to finally have good batteries on both bikes so me and the missus can ride around and take them to the lake.

I can see the price issue. I am going to have 1000 dollars in batteries now. More than I have in both of my bikes. I am lower middle class I guess. Paycheck to paycheck some of the time. Wife was between jobs for a couple months and I ended up in the hosp and lung surgery. Off for 2-1/2 months .. So not much left in the coffers :cry:

Sunder said:
boytitan said:
I utterly despise SUVS. I see so many single parents where I live oh I got a kid gotta get rid of my car and get a giant suv.

I have to say, I used to be the same. Dangerous, polluting, unnecessary and tacky displays of arrogance and wealth. It didn't help I worked with a guy who loved the biggest of the big ones, and on more than one occasion, said something along the lines of "Bugger it, they may have right of way, but nobody challenges a 2.5 tonne truck bearing down on them!", or something to that effect.

But when it came to replacing the family sedan, I wanted plugin hybrid, and the Outlander was the only plugin hybrid available for another 6 months. It was a smaller SUV - somewhere between a wagon and a SUV. I have to say I'm sold now. The slightly higher height makes putting kids in easier on the back - and I'm saying this as a young fit 30-something year old. The flat lip makes putting in and pulling out the pram so much easier. It used to annoy me that my wife kept putting new dents and scratches on the rear bumper trying to lift the pram over the lip. Now, it's just lift and slide it in. The near cubical back section means we can fit nearly 3x as much in, despite the actual volume probably only being 1.5x bigger. And that counts if you've ever packed for kids. We used to travel for a week on carry-on only. We can only survive 24 hours with the biggest carry-on now. Any time we go away even overnight, there's a portacot, toys, 5 changes of clothing per child, (well down to 2 for the older one now).

So if you've never gone from Sedan to SUV with two small children, hold off judgement. I went from buying >2200L of petrol a year, to buying about 120L a year, and my electricity bill has only gone up a little. It's made a big difference to our lives. Single parents have enough of a hard time going on without having to worry if they have the right gear in the back of their car, and whether they need to keep swapping things around because they don't all fit.

True this. I think it really depends on your intended uses and environment. The average city commuter who never really changes residences and has trash service and water service and everything, probably a huge waste, but for those who need to haul their trash or bring water in or pick up barrels and IBC tanks and all sorts of big items, that cargo capacity is something that really helps. And, it also has secure storage capacity which can't be underestimated if you don't already have a lot of "secure storage space" available. (Of course, how 'secure' it is really depends on the kinds of thieves in your area.)

That being said, I rarely see SUVs and large trucks in the inner city of metropolitans, whereas I see them all the time outside the city. I'd think people generally have adapted well to their local environs.

anoNY42 said:
TheBeastie said:
Why? Because when you vigorously ride a standard bicycle you are emitting 10 times the amount of carbon dioxide (co2) via your respiratory system (breathing) than merely sitting on an ebike.
So people who frequently ride standard bicycles are emitting a lot more co2 than folks for the same distance than ebiking folks, especially if their riding commutes are long.

By your logic, no one should exercise since it increases co2.
You can do whatever you like, it doesn't bother me. Increasing co2 helps plants grow. Unless the media is manipulating us everyone should know that as basic common knowledge.
Unless of course its not known then it really does highlight manipulation to help push more political power and money in someone's way.

http://www.madsciencemuseum.com/msm/pl/48_hours_with_plants
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOwHT8yS1XI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi8SFOJffFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2qVNK6zFgE
[youtube]P2qVNK6zFgE[/youtube]

boytitan said:
I utterly despise SUVS. I see so many single parents where I live oh I got a kid gotta get rid of my car and get a giant suv. That stays empty as shit is under utilized and just costs its dumb ass parent more money than needed. I i know if they where smart they would not be a single parent in the first place but it makes no frocking sense to get one just to go to and from work. If I didn't despise S.U.Vs at least I would use the space for buying more used bikes and computers to fix up and flip the space would serve a purpose and it wouldn't be my daily driver.

Yup... and a big SUV or truck is a big reason for consumer debt in the USA. I live in Utah and 75% of the cars on the road are these two things. On a bike you will observe that a majority of these vehicles have only one person in them. It's an extreme opulent waste.

If you have ever watched Dave Ramsey's excellent personal finance show, you'd notice that a lot of the callers' debt includes a loan for a big truck or SUV. And you will hear the christian conservative host constantly telling people to sell those things and get a tiny beater. :lol: kinda funny.

I grew up in California and all the families in my neighborhood were driving sedans around. This was in the 80's and 90's before the SUV boom. I think that maybe 5% of people who own these cars actually need them. It's just insane. I really hope that the end of saudi oil dumping lays waste to these people in the form of increased gas prices. But maybe they'll just find some other stupid thing to waste their money on instead. Americans are weird.

TheBeastie said:
You can do whatever you like, it doesn't bother me. Increasing co2 helps plants grow. Unless the media is manipulating us everyone should know that as basic common knowledge.
Unless of course its not known then it really does highlight manipulation to help push more political power and money in someone's way.

The CDC did some studies a few years ago proving that circulating co2 levels also helped out plants that produce allergens grow and spit out more allergens, and that the number of people with severe allergies continues to increase year by year. This is of special concern to me as i've had about 20 sinus infections over my life, and my ability to respond to the strongest antibiotics available, which have multiple 'black box' warnings is almost completely gone. The next few sinus infections could actually kill or at least hospitalize me. I actually had to move away from the west coast and retreat to the high desert for this reason. I may end up moving further south in the future.

Whether you are scared of global warming or allergies, it's still important that we stop geoengineering this planet via pollution. It would be a lot nicer to stop doing that than have a lot of people die because SUVs and other unnecessary wastes of energy. Any cuts in co2 emissions would help.

TheBeastie said:

That's great if you're a plant. Most of us on the forum here aren't.

Most of us will have to live through increased allergens, increased ferocity storms and longer droughts. In agricultural exporting countries, we don't need to worry so much about lower yields from crops: Just higher prices, but food security could be an issue in many places - in fact it's already happening:

Throughout the spring and summer in 2016, tensions flared after ethnic Uzbek villagers and police blocked access to the reservoir and its water, which lies inside Kyrgyzstan. Uzbekistan drove armored personnel carriers into Kyrgyzstan, and both sides have captured and detained each other’s citizens. Fistfights and potshots have been common. For farmers scratching out a bare existence from increasingly dry land, water is lifeblood, and worth fighting for.

I have come to this remote and haphazard army post, standing between Uzbek and Kyrgyz farmers whose lands both need water, to see for myself the front line of climate change. A 2014 study in the Journal of Climate, published by the American Meteorological Society, reported that the warming rate in Central Asia has been twice the average global warming rate over the same period, and larger than any previous decade, over the first 12 years of the 21st century. As the region heats up, it faces increasing political instability and violence

http://nautil.us/issue/45/power/when-climate-change-starts-wars

It's easy for us in the first world. You can't smell or see Co2, and at these concentrations, it doesn't affect our breathing, our food and water is secure, and our houses withstand storms well. If anthropogenic climate change is real, then it's a minor inconvenience to us. For much of the rest of the world though, it'll be a disaster. But hey, we can sit in our ivory towers, and insist it's either not real, or not a big deal, or it's really uncertain. We can afford that.

Maybe anthropogenic climate change isn't real. I wouldn't say that the evidence is beyond reasonable doubt, but I would say on the balance of probability, it is true. But that doesn't mean we should be complacent. The cost of being complacent is too high, and the changes to make are relatively cheap. My car was $7000 more expensive than the fully petrol model and it will have paid itself off before the end of its life. It produces 1/3rd of the CO2 of the petrol model per kilometre. It'll be zero once I get a big enough solar farm on the roof. But even if that wasn't compelling enough, would you rather ride behind me when my car is on electric, or when it's burning fuel? Even without CO2, cars emit PM2.5 and PM10, along with all sorts of VOCs (depending on the quality and temp of the catalytic converter).

Unfortunately, this is not a "You can do whatever you like" type issue, because we all share the same planet. I'm no greenie, hell, I once told a Greenpeace recruiter that I don't join terrorist organisations (Greenpeace is on a register of "Organisations known to use violence to achieve political goals" - the same register ISIS is on). But I just think from a risk management perspective, it's better to spend a little more, enjoy a little less, than to find out too late that we're in trouble. The best analogy I've heard is that we're in a car driving in fog. One passenger says "Hey, I think there's a lot of pedestrian crossings on this road. We should slow down in case the fog means we see it late". The other passenger says "There's no evidence that there are pedestrian crossings on this road. If we slow down, we'll be late, let's just keep going". Any prudent person would slow down, because the cost of being wrong one way is potentially someone else dead. The cost of being wrong the other way is an unnecessary minor inconvenience to ourselves.

Think about whether you really want to be that driver, that says "My convenience is more important than a good chance of killing someone else."

Honestly, It's a catch 22... (I'll make this into some bullet points to summarize)

- Typically people who do not have much $$ express interest in buying an ebike.
- Then they find out how much pre-built bikes cost. Obviously they begin to search for the cheapest ebikes made, which they do not realize will get no where close to what they wanted from the bike (performance and range wise)
- After you tell them the bike they've been looking at wont fit their use, they begin down the DIY ebike path. (without doing much or any real research)
- They have no idea the amount of power that is required to move 200+lbs, and almost always figure using a cordless-drill or other low power motor will work.
- You then have to pat them on the back and explain things don't quite work that way... :roll: :mrgreen:

Almost every person I have ever talked to hit every one of these points above (myself included).
Once a person finds out that they are not going to build a bike for $100-200, they almost always lose interest. And it's sad because they simply do not understand the value or the JOY of riding a well equipped rig.

Simply put, most people do not give ebikes a chance due to the prices involved.

TheBeastie said:

I'm not sure quite what to make of this. Are you suggesting that the media is covering up the fact that plants use co2? I'm not sure anyone has denied that.

I am going to assume you are putting some sort of climate-change conspiracy theory out there, so please correct me if I am wrong. It is a good thing that plants use co2, and some co2 will always be necessary, that is not a problem. The problem comes when we upset the natural balance by dredging up co2 from underground (fossil fuels) and then spew that co2 into the air. While this does increase co2 available for plants, that co2 is not all taken out of the air by those plants. This is evident when the proportion of co2 in the atmosphere is measured (it is increasing).

Furthermore, we have cleared much land for development, which decreases the amount of plants that can take up the extra co2 in the air.

No problem with plants eating CO2, the problem is that when there is too much CO2 in the air, the oceans are eating it too. Acidification of the oceans is the major environment threat. The sea life has begun to be affected already, and it will not take much more CO2 to start a chain reaction that will kill more than half of life on earth. If you don't believe it, lower the PH of your home aquarium progressively, and see what happens.

MadRhino said:
No problem with plants eating CO2, the problem is that when there is too much CO2 in the air, the oceans are eating it too. Acidification of the oceans is the major environment threat. The sea life has begun to be affected already, and it will not take much more CO2 to start a chain reaction that will kill more than half of life on earth. If you don't believe it, lower the PH of your home aquarium progressively, and see what happens.

CO2 levels were 7 times higher during the jurassic period than currently, and aquatic life was doing just fine then. One thing you're forgetting is that sure, there's more CO2 in the water, but there's also more water on earth after the glaciers melt, so it balances out. Also, with more CO2 and higher temperatures, comes more rainfall and more CO2 for plantlife, so there's more abundant plantlife taking up the CO2.

Chalo said:
Car driving is like slavery-- in that it's grossly harmful to everyone and dehumanizing, and also in that​ most people know it's wrong, but because it's ubiquitous and encouraged, they do it anyway.

That is as ridiculous as it is offensive.

To the OP:

I'm not poor, I want (have) an e-bike. Perhaps a better title would have been: "Most well off folks won't be bothered with e-bikes for their everyday commuting". As it stands in the "mainstream" bike world, only the rich buy ebikes because they are so expensive. I go to the bike shop across the street from where I work and look at the price on the e-bikes they stock and just shake my head. They START at $3k. The sky is the limit from there.

-Jim

Back