Orbea OIZ, H40, Adaptto, Scratch Build Completed

bjamin

100 µW
My first electric build was mostly just a retrofit of an existing functional bike, so this second time around I wanted to start with a frame and source all of the components from scratch. I got a good deal on a used 2007 Orbea OIZ soft-tail on eBay, which is one of the 'full-suspension' frames I was targeting that maximized triangle area. The aluminum construction is impressively lightweight, and has a robust (so-far) carbon fiber flexible rear frame member supported by a Fox RP-23.

From there I just selected and integrated a variety of new and used components such as the 14S triangle pack, Adaptto controller, 3D printed brackets/mounts (Ultimaker 2 ftw), beefy disc brakes from Hope, and assorted downhill parts. The human-drive is a single speed - I grabbed the largest front sprocket I could find (48T) that would fit with the Raceface crank arms. Ghost pedaling is fun but sometimes it's nice to actually be able to stay in sync with the system at higher speeds.

Overall the ride is butter smooth! The dual-crown front fork soaks up the bumps and the Adaptto makes the whole beast whisper quiet. With the 26" hookworms and the H40 torque motor top cruising speed is about 27mph which is not too shabby. Now to start planning the third build... :twisted:

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Attachments

• orbea-1.jpg
    orbea-1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 916
  • orbea-2.jpg
    orbea-2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 916
  • orbea-3.jpg
    orbea-3.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 916
  • orbea-8.jpg
    orbea-8.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 916
  • orbea-7.jpg
    orbea-7.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 916
  • orbea-6.jpg
    orbea-6.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 916
  • orbea-5.jpg
    orbea-5.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 916
  • orbea-4.jpg
    orbea-4.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 916
  • orbea-13.jpg
    orbea-13.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 916
  • orbea-12.jpg
    orbea-12.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 916
  • orbea-11.jpg
    orbea-11.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 916
  • orbea-10.jpg
    orbea-10.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 916
  • orbea-9.jpg
    orbea-9.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 916
  • orbea-15.jpg
    orbea-15.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 916
  • orbea-16.jpg
    orbea-16.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 916
  • orbea-17.jpg
    orbea-17.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 916
Really well done. Simple, clean and neat. Love it.
Did you loose any of the nimble-ness around town with the big forks up front?

Sean9002 said:
Really well done. Simple, clean and neat. Love it.
Did you loose any of the nimble-ness around town with the big forks up front?

Thanks! As far as the steering, it feels pretty good to me. That said, I didn't ride this frame with the OEM single crown fork.
Out of curiosity, I PS'd a stock image over mine (lining up the crankset/seat tube) and the top tube looks to be maybe a couple of degrees difference.
Probably not the most scientific way to measure, but at least gives an idea.

In general, pushing the handlebars up with a longer fork also slides the front tire forward since the angles change.
This increases the trail (distance between where the fork axis intersects the road and the the front hub projection onto the road) which I find helps with stability at "eBike speeds."
It's debatable though - as you mentioned, you might sacrifice lower-speed agility.

file.php

Attachments

• angles.jpg
    angles.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 784
Back