Parallel copper wire design affecting amp capacity?

Ajvalleydave

1 µW
Hi all, new guy here. Almost all my experience is rebuilding power packs for Milwaukee Dewalt, etc. Last night I was pulling a 5.0 AH 18V pack apart. One of the preformed nickels had broken off at the interface with the PB board. The size was .3 × 4mm wide. It could carry 6.9A. It's going to be a PITA to take off the board. I have been digging and a solid 24 gauge copper wire is good for 3.5A If I use the nickel for a template I was thinking about running (2) 24gauge wires to cover the amp draw. Would it matter if I lay them side by side or twist together. I was thinking of soldering the wires to the nickel, and at the PC Board use 1 of the wires through the PC board. Would twisting help or hurt the load carry capacity. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Generally speaking, twisting vs not twisting makes no difference. Either way, you have the same cross section (area) of copper to carry your current.

In extreme use cases, two wires laid out next to each other (with some space between them) may be able to carry more correct than two wires twisted together because the two separate wires will shed heat more effectively. This is similar to why home wiring is conservatively rated— long runs of cable are passed through a conduit, so they don’t shed heat well. I’m not an electrician, so take this with a lump of salt. And in any case, if wires are getting hot in hobby applications, one needs bigger wires.

For the sake of your tool pack rebuild, 6 of one = half a dozen of another.

Good luck, have fun.

Back