Pedal generator to hub motor, no chain

harrisonpatm

10 kW
I've seen various incarnations of this idea brought up on the forum before, but I still found it hilarious when YouTube's algo recommended me this video:

Luckily, when you scan the comments section, it seems that most people aren't fooled. I'll copy and paste my favorite comment from user @flt528:

I'm working on a far better breakthrough in bicycles: A hand crank, attached to a generator, that charges a battery, that powers an electric burner, that boils water to produce steam, that is channeled into a turbine, that spins a generator, that charges up a battery, that powers a light, that shines on a greenhouse, that grows lettuce, that's fed to rabbits, that run on large hamster wheels, that are mounted on the rear rack, and connected to your rear hub via belt drive. There's a basket on the front of the bike that holds the lettuce that you feed to the rabbits as you cruise along. It's not quite as efficient as a chain drive, but you don't have to worry about grease.

Kids will keep doing this kind of science project as long as they keep discovering the obvious after their introduction to basic electrical principles.

The lesson they refuse to take on at the same time is TANSTAAFL. That's why it will only ever be a science project.

I'm not giving someone on mount stupid more views, youtube has an excess of that kind of content and it doesn't deserve more engagement 😅

1715103574676.png

Last edited:
I've seen various incarnations of this idea brought up on the forum before, but I still found it hilarious when YouTube's algo recommended me this video:

Luckily, when you scan the comments section, it seems that most people aren't fooled. I'll copy and paste my favorite comment from user @flt528:

I'm working on a far better breakthrough in bicycles: A hand crank, attached to a generator, that charges a battery, that powers an electric burner, that boils water to produce steam, that is channeled into a turbine, that spins a generator, that charges up a battery, that powers a light, that shines on a greenhouse, that grows lettuce, that's fed to rabbits, that run on large hamster wheels, that are mounted on the rear rack, and connected to your rear hub via belt drive. There's a basket on the front of the bike that holds the lettuce that you feed to the rabbits as you cruise along. It's not quite as efficient as a chain drive, but you don't have to worry about grease.

The video wasn't trying to fool anyone. It did mention the pedal generator drive as only having 58% efficiency compared to a conventional chain drivetrain which has 95% efficiency. They even pointed out how much this lack of efficiency hurts speed on flat ground and during climbs by giving examples. On top of that they mentioned how such a pedal generator drive is significantly heavier than a pedal chain drive.

Last edited:
Back