Picking up an electric trike

slamblood

1 mW
Hello Friends! I am new here and there were several topics that I created. Guys helped me really fast and for that I am grateful to the community. At the moment, I am studying the issue of batteries for myself and interesting in three-wheeled electric trike that will be confident and comfortable enough to move around the rough terrain. I would like to be able to easy movement on rough terrain, as well to be able to plunge into the car and drive somewhere outside the city, the ability to store in the garage. Perhaps the double seat, but not critical.

I analyzed topics in the forum, but didn`t find proper theme. So, I apologize if somewhere missed the information requested, then throw the link please. I found a few interesting options:
outrider USA https://www.youtube.com/user/OutriderUSA
deliver-E https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnmAFFlL1m0
geetrike https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQNn7KcMxtA
drymer v0.5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q8p2q0p4rc
azubrecumbents https://www.youtube.com/user/azubrecumbents
catrike https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPjM1uWxKoA

Once again, electric trike only. Of course, there are many more, but this is what I have found to date from the rest, and what I liked most. Almost all trikes recumbent, perhaps I can identify outrider USA as already proven in the market, catrike (which I`ve also heard) and I note geetrike with an unusual design and chopper landing, it seems they just entered to the market. Below, I will describe briefly what attracted me the most in the product of a particular company, the advantages and disadvantages.

Outrider USA: the price depends on the model, they are two there. Horizon $ 9,995 and $ 13,995 alpha. Suggestive specifications, the ability to deliver, many reviews, forum/community where I can ask questions and get help. In general, it looks interesting, the only course - a very high price. Maybe I do not need such a powerful trike, but something simpler.

Deliver-E: similar to the scooter. I like the design, unfortunately I didn`t find a site and not sure if the project still alive. It would be interesting to know the price and characteristics, but judging by the video on YouTube, its quite cool.

Geetrike: unusual design, steeply tilted, perhaps among other models I have chosen, it allocates chopper landing. There is no price on website, but I think not more than $ 3,000. I wonder whether there is a baggage and is it folds? Perhaps it will be necessary to clarify. The characteristics seems fine for me.

Drymer v0.5: a very interesting and cool design, awesome tilted! A wide range of models, prices from 2.227 euro pleasant, but if you take a model with a protective front glass and other design (business), the price is 9,000 euros bites. I did not find the characteristics, that seems a bit strange.

Azubrecumbents - like the price, from 2,000 to 3,000 euros all models of trikes. Interesting design, somewhat similar to the outrider usa, there's even a choice of colors. Also sells accessories. Specifications are not fully disclosed, did not understand what kind of motor there, seems like 250-350 watts.

Catrike: cool design, there are features on the site, the price starts at $ 2,150, the ability to choose the color, folding. I liked the model 5.5.9 and Expedition. In general, a good impression.

Of course all models have a guarantee from 2 to 10 years

Friends, I would like to create some discussion of the topic, having regard to your experience, so we were able to discuss pros and cons of the models. Throw your model or trikes that you found, we are also here to discuss them. I think there are plenty newbies who might be interested in this topic. Thanks!

Trikes vary a lot in their capabilities, but they are way less suited to rough terrain than bikes, like for like. If you want something competent on sloping and uneven ground, two large diameter wheels is the way to go.

My KMX trike sucks at off-road and I presume other trikes would too because:

1) You need ground clearance. You snag up on rocks and high-center when going over hills if you are too low but if you are too high you flip over too easy. I imagine you can custom make a super wide wheel base trike to help out with this problem.

2) You can't bunny hop or wheelie. Something as pathetic as a street curb at the local park is enough to bring everything to a halt on a trike much less an actual trail obstacle.

3) You can't singletrack for obvious reasons

4) You can't use your legs to absorb the shock of fast aggressive off-road travel.

You need to define what you mean about riding around in rough terrain. You name a variety of brands and price points. What is your budget? how fast and far? Will you assist? Can you do the build?

Steintrikes full suspension. They sell one with BionX.
otherDoc

Chalo said:
Trikes vary a lot in their capabilities, but they are way less suited to rough terrain than bikes, like for like. If you want something competent on sloping and uneven ground, two large diameter wheels is the way to go.
Thanks Chalo! You`re right on one side. Trike attracts me due to its comfort. Also there is a clearance, so you can change a bit your position, which is really important for your back and neck, when you are in a long-trip.

parajared said:
My KMX trike sucks at off-road and I presume other trikes would too because:
1) You need ground clearance. You snag up on rocks and high-center when going over hills if you are too low but if you are too high you flip over too easy. I imagine you can custom make a super wide wheel base trike to help out with this problem.
2) You can't bunny hop or wheelie. Something as pathetic as a street curb at the local park is enough to bring everything to a halt on a trike much less an actual trail obstacle.
3) You can't singletrack for obvious reasons
4) You can't use your legs to absorb the shock of fast aggressive off-road travel.
Good point Parajared! I used to ride on KMX long ago and it was really fun, fast and agressive! But I`m not searching for agressive off-road travel nowadays. Yeah, maybe sometimes, but mostly smooth comfortable ride with mates. But you`re right on other side.

ebent said:
You need to define what you mean about riding around in rough terrain. You name a variety of brands and price points. What is your budget? how fast and far? Will you assist? Can you do the build?
Thanks for specifying Ebent! I`m 25 years old man, outside the USA. At the moment my budget is about 4k, but it`s a matter of time, I can spend more money if I really dig into some model you know. Not really searching for super fast or agressive style, more smooth and comfortable, so I think 30-35 M/h and about 30+ miles distance on one charge, which is pretty normal for most trikes. I quite far from all engineer stuff, but I`m trying to learn it as much as I can. That`s why I gave examples of some brands and ready-to-go models. Really looking forward for advice from experienced guys, so I could understand and score the real things with trike. I know that`s the best to score is to feel or check it in your friend`s garage, but hard to say how it would be in long-term use.

The fingers said:
http://www.terratrike.com/
Here's another brand to check out. :)
Coverting one to electric might void a factory warranty on a new one. (Cool chihuahua photo!) 8)
Hey Fingers! Yeah, I`ve heard about that one too, will check it as well, thank you! Do you use trike?

docnjoj said:
Steintrikes full suspension. They sell one with BionX.
otherDoc
Hey Docnjoj! I`ve seen steintrike, but for some reason I didn`t like it. Maybe I should check it more precisely. By the way, do you use trike?

Appreciate your support guys!

My first trike was a pocket catrike. I loved that trike. At first I rode without a motor. Several years latter surgery demanded I motorize. I did enjoy the pocket. But as timed passed And my inferior skeleton could no longer take the unsuspended ride I finally sold it. I needed suspended but I hated the high prices. So I waited and looked and I found a jem. An HP Scorpion fs 26. Now I get my aerobics without the pain of being bounced round. There were spots on my regular ride that I needed to avoid on my old trike. Now I float over the worst ones.

Due to your age and budget I'd recommend a Catrike. The best value on the market. Well made. And made in USA. The company is very customer concentric. Bought from dealers only but they are very willing on customer service. Suspension will double the cost in other viable brands. Plus for motorizing. I hope at your age the lack of suspension will be manageable.

Another advantage for trikes, it is called trikers grin.

ebent said:
My first trike was a pocket catrike. I loved that trike. At first I rode without a motor. Several years latter surgery demanded I motorize. I did enjoy the pocket. But as timed passed And my inferior skeleton could no longer take the unsuspended ride I finally sold it. I needed suspended but I hated the high prices. So I waited and looked and I found a jem. An HP Scorpion fs 26. Now I get my aerobics without the pain of being bounced round. There were spots on my regular ride that I needed to avoid on my old trike. Now I float over the worst ones.

Due to your age and budget I'd recommend a Catrike. The best value on the market. Well made. And made in USA. The company is very customer concentric. Bought from dealers only but they are very willing on customer service. Suspension will double the cost in other viable brands. Plus for motorizing. I hope at your age the lack of suspension will be manageable.

Another advantage for trikes, it is called trikers grin.

Didn`t see signature :oops: Seems like there is quite powerful battery. Can you tell me the price of your pocket catrike and new HP Scorpion fs 26?

The fingers said:
My dream vehicle would be a forward-facing rowing machine propelled electric quadracycle. :twisted:
heh :wink:

The price of the pocket new has doubled since then. I added the motor years later. And my HP Scorpion I bought used with 200 miles for $4500 delivered. I added the motor etc. The battery will do all that I demand. Got it from Grin technology.

Hey Docnjoj! I`ve seen steintrike, but for some reason I didn`t like it. Maybe I should check it more precisely. By the way, do you use trike?

Appreciate your support guys!

slamblood
1 mW
1 mW

I Ride 4-5 x per week or about 80-100 miles a week. No off road though but do cross a lot of drainage ditches on the roadside. 3" dip over about a foot. Suspension really helps on these. Don't forget Steintrikes are all steel.
otherDoc

Here's a quality value recumbent trike made in Taiwan (suspended)...

http://www.amazon.com/Performer-Trike-X-Speed-Recumbent-Trike/dp/B00HWM44S8

Performer makes quality value trikes. I've got an Actionbent made by them and I prefer it to my Catrike Road...

http://www.performer.com.tw/new/

They will ship directly from Taiwan - it is a reputable outfit...

I'm pretty sure you want at least a rear 26" wheel to create the space under the seat for your battery solution.

Chris

ebent said:
The price of the pocket new has doubled since then. I added the motor years later. And my HP Scorpion I bought used with 200 miles for $4500 delivered. I added the motor etc. The battery will do all that I demand. Got it from Grin technology.
I see. Seems like Enduro has massive tires. Need time to familiar with products. All recumbent trikes catching up a little horror because of position, need get used to it :) Can you tell me what`s motor you`ve upgraded later? I see 750 hub motor, XOFO, MAC, MXUS?

docnjoj said:
I Ride 4-5 x per week or about 80-100 miles a week. No off road though but do cross a lot of drainage ditches on the roadside. 3" dip over about a foot. Suspension really helps on these. Don't forget Steintrikes are all steel.
otherDoc
That`s pretty much! Yes, suspension important. I see in signature "frame of homebuilt trike in shed with Bafang still on it", is it aluminum? Any mates with you on road?

chvidgov.bc.ca said:
Here's a quality value recumbent trike made in Taiwan (suspended)...
http://www.amazon.com/Performer-Trike-X-Speed-Recumbent-Trike/dp/B00HWM44S8
Performer makes quality value trikes. I've got an Actionbent made by them and I prefer it to my Catrike Road...
http://www.performer.com.tw/new/
They will ship directly from Taiwan - it is a reputable outfit...
I'm pretty sure you want at least a rear 26" wheel to create the space under the seat for your battery solution.
Chris
That`s nice example, will definitely look at it, thank you Chris! You have all this trikes, posted in signature? I will definitely need your advice as well. And I`m not sure about 26", seems like 24" pretty fine too.

Right...I've got both the Catrike Road and the Actionbent T1A which is pretty equivalent to the Performer trikes, if not made in the same factory. Both are unsuspended, and I'm thinking that suspension might be undesirable from a pedalling and frame rigidity standpoint. Rigidity is a good thing with all the extra weight of the electric gear and batteries. It was trickier to fit the batteries under the seat of the Road, as that is a 20" rear wheel, and the ride is definitely harsher than the bigger 26" wheel, but that might just be because of the rigidity of the Catrike. Both frames are alloy, and I'm using Maxis Hookworms at lower pressures around 55 psi to soften up the ride. Once you've ridden these recumbents you will prefer them from long distance touring in comfort. I like that they don't fall over when loaded up with camping gear.

Here is all the info on my trike. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69563 I think your catlike is aluminum. At least that has been the case. The new road has a rear suspension. Never tried it.

Back