ping battery charging without bms

Ac/dc

100 µW
Hi. Everyone its my first post and l don't find any information about what am trying to do with my 20ah 48 volt split pack ping battery 2.5 version.
So l bought this battery pack used but l don't have the charger so l removed the bms and want to charge my pack as a 8s configuration with jst balance plug so is it okay to solder another balance wire to obtain my 8s because ping only use 7s for each pack for is bms ?
In this picture l made a drawing to show where l want add another balance wire

Attachments

• Capture+_2019-12-28-03-47-50~2_42.png
    Capture+_2019-12-28-03-47-50~2_42.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 719
Content deleted because I was giving wrong information.

What charger do you have now ?
I thought the number 1 wire was the neg one and next to it"s top same cell pos. as # 1 and next wire the third one goes to top pos cell group 2 and so on ? the last cell is number 16. you only need to charge to 3.45 - 3.5 volt per cell.

dogman dan said:
On your original bms set up, the large negative wire to the bms was the 17th wire, the negative end of the last group in the row. Then all the small wires were the positives for each cell, 16 of then.

Wrong spot to add the wire, that is the negative of cell group one. or its the positive end of group 16, I can't really tell from the picture which end of the pack it is. The 8th group negative will be more in the middle of the pack.

On the 8th cell group, add two wires for charging. it will be the negative end of the group 1-8, and the positive end of group 9-16. If you want to charge it faster than 2 amps, you will need to make that wire a bit bigger, then also add a small wire to go to a JST balance plug with 9 wires. The right spot to add the wire will show half the pack voltage on a voltmeter. put one end on the big positive wire, and the black voltmeter wire on a spot in the middle of the pack. when you find the right one, it will be half the voltage. That will be negative of 1-8 and positive of 9-16

So to charge, you'd connect one of the 8s packs bigger wires to an RC charger, and if balance charging, connect the balance plug. Charge one half, then swap to the other half and charge.

Use the balance plugs, or the original bms plug to adjust individual cell groups occasionally, if you just bulk charge the 8 s sections.

The spot l show is the negative lead charge cable and it show me 25.2 volt from the big black and big red wire but at the original balance plug l get only 22.3 s so if l read the tiny red positive and the last negative (charge lead) it give the proper voltage of 25.2volt so at the end l need 8s to fully balance the pack

Since it's apart start by checking battery voltage #1. Then state of charge and write down on paper start at the neg end as one
Like this.

1. 3.34v
2. 3.21v
3. 2.95 v

16. XXX volt.
This will give you a starting point.

You can see the last row (negative charge lead ) is seperate from the rest of pack . l want to balance the pack with my isdt 8s charger and if you tell it can't be done i will not keep theses pack and will try to sell them
I hate bms because l prefer balance each pack with my quality charger

I don't know why you telling me its 16 cell pack when is not because l have 2 seperate pack it make no sense for me

Attachments

• 20191228_142330_compress83.jpg
    20191228_142330_compress83.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 686
8S pack requires nine balance leads.

One is the pack level positive

One is the pack level negative

The remainder are the seven series leads interconnecting the cell positive and negative.

If it were a 16S pack, then 17 leads, substitute "15" for seven above, the rest is the same

That really is all you need to know, right?

Yes it is two 8s packs series for 16s for 48v of lifepo4 and Li Ping uses 4 - 5,000 mAh cells pouches parallel for 20,000 mAh or 20ah. Check voltage first with Multi meter and it will show you the way to go set it at a higher voltage then checking. You should do this before hooking up charger. It's very simple once you figure out how the probes go. Look on Pings website he's got photos of batteries and shows you how to do it and so on.
Ping now sells v5 with a stronger BMS for his stronger cells. He sells chargers BMS Lowe's sales all kinds of chit
Plus someone back me up neg is the starting point cell one.

Yes they charge to 3.65v each parallel group of cells
But 3.5 v is full and low cell cutoff is about 3.0v for not running a BMS. Yes first cell to hit 3.0v but don't go that low. As you don't have lvc.

Well,, when I posted you did not tell me, or show me, that you had the split pack. I saw a corner of it, and you said it was 48v. So I thought you had a 16 cell groups block. I couldn't see good where the big negative was soldered on either. I did see a black balance wire, and thought it might be the negative end. For some reason, the last positive wire on the bms plug is black, and that fooled me.

Connect your big positives and negative to the charger to charge it. You will need one more negative for the balance plug, and it will be in the spot you circled.

Wire it up with a 9 pin jst plug on each block for balancing then. 8 positives on each balance plug and the last one to the negative end. Look up a picture of lipo battery on hobby kings website to see which end of your balance plug is the first positive. You need the same plug as hobby king uses, to use your charger.

No reason you can't charge it and balance it with your 8s charger.

dogman dan said:
Well,, when I posted you did not tell me, or show me, that you had the split pack. I saw a corner of it, and you said it was 48v. So I thought you had a 16 cell groups block. I couldn't see good where the big negative was soldered on either. I did see a black balance wire, and thought it might be the negative end. For some reason, the last positive wire on the bms plug is black, and that fooled me.

Connect your big positives and negative to the charger to charge it. You will need one more negative for the balance plug, and it will be in the spot you circled.

Wire it up with a 9 pin jst plug on each block for balancing then. 8 positives on each balance plug and the last one to the negative end. Look up a picture of lipo battery on hobby kings website to see which end of your balance plug is the first positive. You need the same plug as hobby king uses, to use your charger.

No reason you can't charge it and balance it with your 8s charger.

Total of wire will be 8pin not 9 because its a 7pin already but it make sense to add a jst wire to the last big lead ground because now l read 25.2 volt with the red balance wire

No 8S balancing requires 9 balance leads.

Separate from the fat power leads pair, but yes they are connected usually to the outermost two balance leads.

The most valuable information right now is what is the state of charge meaning what voltage are each of the 16 cells starting at the negative end as number one. It should be between 3.0 to 3.6 volt but my guess is 3.38 volt a guess haha . So with meter set above 60 volts or more. Black probe to black neg. Red probe to next pad across to other side should read between 3.0- 3.6 v. Now put neg probe to where red probe was and red probe to pad across. Should read 3.0-3.6v this is cell group 2. Continue this is the state of charge of your battery which needs to be known before you hook up a charger. You could also put the black pro on the negative most wire and put it on the third pad it should read between 6 and 7 volts just to check.
1. 3.44v
2. 3.33v
3. 3.52 v

16. XXX volt.
Important. This information must be written down on a piece of paper you'll find out why in the future

Back