• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Ping battery problem - need help

Hi Gudy, Ping has always been very helpful from beginning to end with my battery problems it took a nite to get a reply but he did walk me through it till it was fixed. Sorry about your car and your wife O.K.. So good luck and carry on. It can be fixed.

I hate to see you give up. So often in ends up being something so ridiculous that you give yourself the old V-8 thunk in the head when you finally find the problem. Good luck and don't give up it will be worth the riding when you get it fixed.

999zip999, yes the wife is ok.

It looks like I'm going to have to open my battery, and I need some new heat shrink wrap for my BMS anyway. Would anyone know where I could buy some in the bay area? I've tried RC shops but they don't carry big enough sizes, I've tried Tap and Jameco electornics and they don't have any. Online would work as well.

Hi Gudy, as shrink for the BMS I have used watter bottles on a couple. It's clear so I can see the LEDS. Now to reshrink the battery, that's a nother thing. You might look at a industrial supply house like McMaster Carr or something like that. Good luck and hope you find your problem.
Dan

Quote:
"I need some new heat shrink wrap for my BMS anyway. Would anyone know where I could buy some in the bay area?" Online would work as well.

Try some of the commercial electrical supply outfits for HS tubing sizes above 2 inch I.D.

Also consider the 4 inch I.D. (or less) HS tubing that (online) Parts Express offers:

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=640&CFID=32812609&CFTOKEN=50498088

A long overdue reply on this thread ...

So, I ended up solving my battery problem by re-soldering one of the "cell sense" wires, and flipping it upside down went mounted in the bike (before the battery would lay on top of these small wires). Not sure if the flipping helped, or if it was simply this other wire which had a bad connection, or even something else, but since then, things work perfectly again, and I've logged an other 300-400 miles to the bike.

I also did the delta-wye modification to my hub motor, and I would say that for the hassle, it's not worth it (but something might be wrong in what I did). I'm only getting 3-5 mph increase (on load, of course, with no load, the wheel will spin at 65mph), but that results in a massive energy consumption increase (constant at 35A), and it also generates so much heat through the shunt inside the controller, that it melts the solder, and de-attaches the wire that goes to the CA ... making the CA read stupid values, and be useless for speed measurement.

As I still want to gain a few mph, I'm actually going to try a slightly faster winding hub.

Thanks to everyone who helped me getting this resolved.

A very interesting post! I recently have run into a similar issue with a Ping 48V20 battery but I believe its the BMS that is cooked.

Back