Powerful brushless Pedalcar/Kids Gocart, how much effort?

RalterWöhrl

100 µW
Hi everyone!
Today after I saw an old but rigid "kettcar" for super cheap in a huge 2nd hand store, it immediatly snapped in my mind:

What would it take to convert something like this...

kinder_kettcar19.jpg

into something like this... (just electric brushless powered ofcourse!)

[youtube]vlBwIZXA2fY[/youtube]

For the base I would be looking for a big but not to narrow single-seat kettcar with a low center of gravity and wide wheeltrack to make it stable, not flip to easy and well controlable while drifting.
For example something like this:

KETTLER-Kettcar-Barcelona-Air-schwarz-gruen-T01050-0010-Gokart.jpg

Most of these models usually are around 40-50kg base weight and look pretty much like this one here for the basic chassis (random photo off the interweb):

kettcar1.jpg

Speed is not the main goal here I would say, 25-30mph should be more than enough. What would be really nessesary tho to make it a funny little drift machine is TORQUE imho.
So what would be nessasary in your opinion to burn some rubber with these little cars? Ofcourse as always, as CHEAP as possible, but as DURABLE as necessary ;)
I would love to use my costum packs around 20S 10/15A that I am building for my ebike if possible and go from there...

Thanks alot already, looking forward for your guys ideas and input! :D

Although this isn't actually a 2-wheeled bicycle project (or trike), the power level of the components that would work best are really in the same catalog as ebike parts, so I don't think it is too inappropriate to allow this in the this section...

RalterWöhrl said:
What would it take to convert something like this...

A much lower CG like you mentioned plus a motor, battery, controller, chain and sprockets. A few thousand watts geared down to a top speed of 20 or so should get you there. To be sure simply use a more capable motor and controller (one that's programmable), so you can up the current if the lower power doesn't get you there. A pair of modest power scooter hubbies in the rear with the smallest 10" tires you can find is another option that could keep the build nice and clean with only the battery and controllers to place within the body.

A better but more expensive option with one or two seats would be:

rhoades_car.jpg

Instructables has adult pedal car projects, but of course that's not as easy as a conversion. All sorts of builds at there, though. http://www.itclips.net/2013/05/18/pedal-car-race-competition-heats-up/

When you insist on working with something that was never intnded to stand up in such usage, that's asking for trouble. There are things that come closer. http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/big-size-adult-pedal-cars-with_553175627/showimage.html

Oh, some more research and it seems mr china been there done that :lol: 8)

2015-new-1000w-48v-kids-electric-go.png

Looks solid and should be tunable quite easy :D
If that chassis only would not be so small! seems like adults would have knee cramps after 3 minutes :roll:

[youtube]0w8SMhNnVHk[/youtube]

Back