Prius Acceleration Hoax?!

Like I said though the brakes on the Prius are fly by wire. Theoretically the computer could tell 'em "frock you I'm not stopping".

However I have more sense to believe that Toyota would expose themselves to such lawsuits by writing microsoft quality code. The space and airline industry has been writing bullet proof code for years. I think that we can except that the automotive industry can too. Although I would feel a lot safer if it was open source, or at least viewable to some members of the public.

This problem invites jokes about how Microsoft would design a car (as a van full of kids is about to crash into a tree)...

green tree of death ;)

I drive a 65,000 pound emergency vehicle with a wired throttle. Stay out of my way!

I flattened the entire front end of a Kia Optima once. Drove right over the hood with the dual rear axles as I negotiated a tight corner. I bet the driver was pissed to find their crushed car and a ticket on the windshield for illegally parking too close to the intersection.

The hacker didn't do anything to the code of the car. He just logged into the web interface using passwords he got from his old job. The cars were probably disabled by some sort of starter lock out mechanism. Hardly bricking them, and most definitively not hacking ;)

Not sure about the floor mat thing. It seems as they recalled the floor mats rather then the cars, which IMHO was probably the correct course of action.

Speaking of hummers...my jack-ass older brother said he drove over someones hood in his Hum-vee (h1). Apparently it was a two lane turning lane, and the little car in the inside lane drifted into his. Sure he could of slowed down or moved over, but my brothers sort of a dude-bro jack ass.

Back