Privacy - degoogle phone vs iphone vs flip phone

99t4 said:
goatman said:
did you know if you cross the Can/USA border they've already read your phone before you get to the check point and know if you have a valid vaccine passport or not
In which direction?

I know Trudeau was behind this, im not sure if Biden followed. ill go find the story

The covid app was a tracking device to, thats why not many people downloaded it, that was a quite obvious scam.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
footloose said:
I am very offended because I need that aluminum cap to stop my molars from broadcasting the CIAs cafeteria lunch schedule into my brain!

Hear you. But I'm finding foil caps are pretty uncomfortable ... they can get darn hot here in Florida. So I'm thinking of making a nice Faraday cap out of metal hardware cloth, especially for summer wear. Is there any reason to go whole hog and splurge on copper hardware cloth, or does plain old chicken wire do the trick?

Plain old chicken wire is fine, you don't even need any fancy battery cables- a car battery and some jumper cables to shield the noggin will do just fine. Ionize the air around you to clean it, too!

Nice to find another good use for lead acid batteries! A buddy of mine suggests them, along with standard jumper cables, as emergency defibrillators. I've never asked him how many cold cranking amps are needed.

footloose said:
footloose said:
I am very offended because I need that aluminum cap to stop my molars from broadcasting the CIAs cafeteria lunch schedule into my brain!

Hear you. But I'm finding foil caps are pretty uncomfortable ... they can get darn hot here in Florida. So I'm thinking of making a nice Faraday cap out of metal hardware cloth, especially for summer wear. Is there any reason to go whole hog and splurge on copper hardware cloth, or does plain old chicken wire do the trick?

Plain old chicken wire is fine, you don't even need any fancy battery cables- a car battery and some jumper cables to shield the noggin will do just fine. Ionize the air around you to clean it, too!

Nice to find another good use for lead acid batteries! A buddy of mine suggests them, along with standard jumper cables, as emergency defibrillators. I've never asked him how many cold cranking amps are needed.

Depends on how cold they are. As the saying goes with us paramedics, They Aint Dead 'Til They Warm And Dead!

99t4 said:
There will soon be a linux phone and I hope to experiment with it.
"The Librem 5 is a phone built on PureOS, a fully free, ethical and open-source operating system that is not based on Android or iOS."

"By purchasing a Librem 5 phone you are supporting a future of digital privacy, invested in supporting an open, community-driven environment. Vote with your wallet to support a future safe from digital exploitation and create a secure and respectful environment for you, your children and society as a whole.

Peace of mind with a phone that does not track you"

"The Librem 5 will not wholesale gather your data for profit. It will not lock you into an ecosystem that controls you. It will not require you to enter banking details to simply get an app from an app store."

https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

Available now (backlogged?)

That's one of them! There's other options that focus instead on the OS like PinePhone/PineOS and the other forks- I think someone is forking Mint to function on smartphones too, to try and snag more normies to the GNUzone. Naturally if you want to use it properly, you need a GSM phone and not CDMA.
Basically, you gotta ask yourself how much you're willing to learn and what you're willing to deal with. Just like in real life, 90% of the population would be just fine with something like Linux Mint.

You nailed it, theres lots out there with an attached price and I ask myself I am willing to learn as less as possible thats why re- r.o.m.'ing a cell phone is not my thing.

That's one of them! There's other options that focus instead on the OS like PinePhone/PineOS and the other forks- I think someone is forking Mint to function on smartphones too, to try and snag more normies to the GNUzone. Naturally if you want to use it properly, you need a GSM phone and not CDMA.
Basically, you gotta ask yourself how much you're willing to learn and what you're willing to deal with. Just like in real life, 90% of the population would be just fine with something like Linux Mint.

calab said:
You nailed it, theres lots out there with an attached price and I ask myself I am willing to learn as less as possible thats why re- r.o.m.'ing a cell phone is not my thing.

Same. I tried to learn it so I could keep using an old CDMA Verizon phone of mine- like hell I was gonna support that company after the shit they pulled in the California wildfires- and holy damn, even a mild ricing was super complicated. I know Android is really just a tuned and palatable linux distro, but after browsing G guides for 3 days straight I tossed the idea and just went more incognito with my use.

Back