Pure Electric and Straight Diesel Tie in top MPG!

CrazyJerry

10 W
Hi Folks!
Thought maybe you might enjoy this story if you hadn't already run across it.
On Friday April 11th, 2014 at the Toyota Green Grand Prix, a pure electric and a straight diesel tied for the most fuel efficient prize at 200+/- mpg!

There were over 40 cars (privateers, universities, etc..) and Stage 1 of the 100+ mile event was held on the legendary Watkins Glen International Speedway in NY.

For info/rules/results on the event see the official Green Grand Prix site:
http://www.greengrandprix.com/

300+ Event photos can be seen here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gree...829483176?id=239214829483176&sk=photos_stream

The Illuminati Motor Works pure electric car (Seven) is at:
http://illuminatimotorworks.org/

The Urba Centurion straight diesel is at:
http://diesel-bike.com/Centurion/urba_centurion.html

Have a good day everyone!
~CrazyJerry
:mrgreen:

We were discussing that Centurion indirectly in a thread awhile back. I even found a picture of0 the remains of purported to be the original from 'Total Recall.' Those wheels are now on his car, eh? Did you actually just fix that beater?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42605

200mpg is rather attainable in controlled situations that don't in any way resemble normal driving. Not sure the point of such exhibitions.

Oh, by the way, if you DIDN'T just fix the old one, where in the world did you get an old Spitfire frame?

Dauntless said:
We were discussing that Centurion indirectly in a thread awhile back. I even found a picture of0 the remains of purported to be the original from 'Total Recall.' Those wheels are now on his car, eh? Did you actually just fix that beater?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42605

200mpg is rather attainable in controlled situations that don't in any way resemble normal driving. Not sure the point of such exhibitions

Oh, by the way, if you DIDN'T just fix the old one, where in the world did you get an old Spitfire frame?

Hi Dauntless,
The owner of the decomposing car in California decided to sell the wheels from that car - I acquired and refinished them them. They weren't used at the Green Grand Prix due to their excessive weight. That car is the original, #2 in in Nashville, Tenn (Lane Motor Museum), mine is #3... Unless there are more hiding somewhere..

Not sure I follow you on your earlier post:
"200mpg is rather attainable in controlled situations that don't in any way resemble normal driving. Not sure the point of such exhibitions"

What do you mean?
~CrazyJerry

I like the linked cars, plus the Cam Anders 4-cyl turbo-diesel VW with DIY custom aero body:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...483176.-2207520000.1398342796.&type=3&theater

1012168_10201537951394738_108255998_n.jpg

CrazyJerry said:
"200mpg is rather attainable in controlled situations that don't in any way resemble normal driving. Not sure the point of such exhibitions"

What do you mean?
~CrazyJerry

Oh, just such things of the history of the "84mpg carburetor" where your average streetcar can do near that under the conditions they use, (A lot of investors thus duped) the 'Eco Challenge' with wild mpg numbers with things you're not going to see on the street, etc. It would be far more interesting in realistic conditions.

Meanwhile, where DID you get that Triumph frame? Or did you substitute? That too would be interesting.

Dauntless said:
CrazyJerry said:

What do you mean?
~CrazyJerry

Oh, just such things of the history of the "84mpg carburetor" where your average streetcar can do near that under the conditions they use, (A lot of investors thus duped) the 'Eco Challenge' with wild mpg numbers with things you're not going to see on the street, etc. It would be far more interesting in realistic conditions.

Meanwhile, where DID you get that Triumph frame? Or did you substitute? That too would be interesting.

Ok, so the 84 mpg carburetor was not at the GGP so probably not necessary to lump that in with this event.

My experience with the Green Grand Prix (unlike the 'Eco Challenge' you mentioned) is with real mpg numbers with cars you do see on the street. Did you check out the photos on their facebook page? The white car above (Anders) was driven from Rochester area to the event. In fact nearly ALL the cars there were driven thus making them street driven cars you do see on the street everyday. The Green Grand Prix rules are quite clear that all entries must be street legal and they do have to pass a tech inspection. In short, some of the cars were bone-stock and put into their appropriate class, some simply had minor changes such as a set of rear wheel skirts, for the rest, the Exhibition Class (Modifieds/Homebuilts/Etc..).

The event on the track (Stage 1) has turns, hills, traffic, congestion at times, minimum and maximum speed limits, wind, sprinkles of rain, etc, all of which I did encounter on my trip down, so the conditions were realistic - not outliers on either end of a number line.. Oh, and unlike the interstate, there was NO DRAFTING allowed, so on that point you would be correct - that was not the same as real-world driving - that may have been the only unrealistic part of the event.

Driving a total of 288 miles to the event in a strong 30-40mph headwind, I averaged 172 mpg, so the 200+ without the wind or distractions of fast food stops was not a wild mpg number since it was right inline with the 200+ mpg for the event. In many cases, others who drove to the event only turned in marginally higher mpg's during the event suggesting their street driven cars/skills are pretty solid on or off the track. At least that's what I took from it.

The Centurion project was started years ago when Spitfires (among other cars) were easier to find since huge junkyards could be found scattered all over the place, smaller ones around farms or hiding in the tree lines. Most of these havens have since dried up and sourcing parts such as the Spitfire Frame, Vista Cruiser Taillights, etc, pretty much requires assistance such as the internet. There are still a few auto graveyards left but not many. :cry:

The Illuminati Motor Works car is pure electric and what a fantastic job they did on it! It's anything but tiny and looks like it's moving even when it's not!

~ CrazyJerry

CrazyJerry said:
My Oh, and unlike the interstate, there was NO DRAFTING allowed, so on that point you would be correct - that was not the same as real-world driving - that may have been the only unrealistic part of the event.

Oh, actually drafting isn't allowed on the interstate, either. They just don't have the enforcement.

When I was a kid my Dad was in the Long Beach MG club and they had the fuel mileage runs on the street. Now THAT was real driving conditions.

The Centurion project was started years ago when Spitfires (among other cars) were easier to find since huge junkyards could be found scattered all over the place, smaller ones around farms or hiding in the tree lines. Most of these havens have since dried up and sourcing parts such as the Spitfire Frame, Vista Cruiser Taillights, etc, pretty much requires assistance such as the internet. There are still a few auto graveyards left but not many. :cry:
~ CrazyJerry

It's fun to see cars on the track that don't all look the same. Indy, Formula 1, if not for sponsors they might even be painted the same. I guess it would still be pretty easy to build a substitute frame, the parts to bolt on are being fabricated, right? I keep wanting to build something, that's what keeps me in school.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Triumph-Spitfire-NOS-Frame-Dimensions-Front-Wheel-Alignment-Specs-/321088105739#ht_413wt_900

[youtube]amNF_F6oeRU[/youtube]

Back