Question for the Lipo fans

Grizzlybear

100 W
You set fire to your apartment block, people die, what are you going to say to the judge in court to stop you getting jail time?

This is one of the most moronic posts ever.

Accidents happen, and until it's made illegal for people to use LiPo it won't be again'st the law to have it. So if in the event of fatalities no one is going to go to jail.

Pure said:
This is one of the most moronic posts ever.

Accidents happen, and until it's made illegal for people to use LiPo it won't be again'st the law to have it. So if in the event of fatalities no one is going to go to jail.

I suggest that you look into the legal implications a bit more thoroughly before calling my post moronic! Matches are legal, it's what you do with them, it's called gross negligence, you set fire to your apartment block with something that's known to be dangerous... your going to jail simple as that my friend!

LMAO

To even say a fire caused by charging LiPo is gross negligence is in of itself moronic. I suggest you research the letter of the law a little better before suggesting such a false claim.

Pure said:
LMAO

To even say a fire caused by charging LiPo is gross negligence is in of itself moronic. I suggest you research the letter of the law a little better before suggesting such a false claim.

You owe a duty of care to those around you, simple as that, you are held accountable for the consequences of your actions!!

Do you use a cell phone Grizzlybear?

Grizzlybear said:
You set fire to your apartment block, people die, what are you going to say to the judge in court to stop you getting jail time?

Unless you're still living in the 19th century, I guarantee that you have LiPo in your possession too. Cell phone, laptop, PDA, GPS...

When you buy something with a Lipo battery in it, it is the manufacturer that takes responsibility, when you take it upon yourself to use the technology yourself, it's a totally different ball game. Am I really the "moron" or are you? I am an Engineer and Health and Safety qualified as well, tell it to the judge guys!!!!!

Grizzlybear said:
Pure said:
LMAO

You owe a duty of care to those around you, simple as that, you are held accountable for the consequences of your actions!!

*sigh*

Yes, this is true. But a LiPo fire is hardly any ones fault. It's completely random and if and when it happens would be considered an accident. It would be no different than a grease fire, or if the can of gas in the shed in my back yard caught fire and somehow the neighbors house went up wile they were sleeping. I would not be prosecuted because it was an accident, out of my control.

Someone forgot their meds today. :roll:

Pure said:
Grizzlybear said:
Pure said:
LMAO

*sigh*

Yes, this is true. But a LiPo fire is hardly any ones fault. It's completely random and if and when it happens would be considered an accident. It would be no different than a grease fire, or if the can of gas in the shed in my back yard caught fire and somehow the neighbors house went up wile they were sleeping. I would not be prosecuted because it was an accident, out of my control.

Someone forgot their meds today. :roll:

It's your fault, because you knew that it could happen, and you have a choice of safer chemistry, it was your choice to use it and it went bad, now that nice young couple who used to live in the flat above you is dead and their little baby!!!!! I'm the MORON!!!!

As long as we have people like Pure, Drunkskunk, Liveforphysics and Samtexas around, we will really need Health and Safety to protect us!!!

OH not their little baby?!!!! I was with the other guys...but now there's burning babies involved. Holy burning babies!!!!

You've convinved us with your emotional argument...we will abandon our science and reason in favor of your what-if-scapdes.

Grizzlybear said:
As long as we have people like Pure, Drunkskunk, Liveforphysics and Samtexas around, we will really need Health and Safety to protect us!!!

Yeah, LFP, Pure, Drunkskunk & Sam, its all your bloody
Fault millions of rc hobbists buy LiPO batterys
Your the reason cell phones and laptops have LiPO!!!
Thanks to you millions of lives are at risk !!
You all know very well that LiPO rape babies & burn down
Houses! it is well documented on this very site!! FFS
I call for the banning of these members immediatly it
would be gross negligence to allow them to stay, it is
puting us all at risk of going to jail if we allow
Them to stay !!! we new of this danger and did nothing
To stop this blantant disregard for the safety of
Human life...for once will someone please think
of the children!!!!!111 :mrgreen:

Well....we did need someone to step it up since morph999
Decided he wasn't going to play anymore....thanks
GrillzlyMaN :mrgreen:

KiM

Look, the only way it could even come close to "gross negligence" is if you were storing LiPo on warehouse levels. And even then it would be tough for the prosecution to prove negligence. LiPo when stored properly is for the most part safe. If it wasn't safe JoeSchmoe would not be allowed to purchase and poses it without proper license. Much in the same way you have to be licensed to handle high explosives. High explosives Lipo is not. Having your stash of C4 take out your apartment complex and a battery self destructing are 2 entirely different situations. If you can't see that, then maybe it's just best you don't play with anything sharper than your elbow.

I wish I had as much to do with the availability of LiPo as Luke, but thanks for the ego boost. :mrgreen:

Ha ha this post made me laugh so much ha ha :lol: :lol:

I am a health and safety expert ha ha ha and engineer please please stop its killing me ha ha ha my ribs cant take it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look Grizzly if peoples safety is your concern then where do you stop? pretty much all of the bikes on here are technically illegal, so many people dont fit fuses, so many people dont wear helmets, so many people ride on the pavement....

Lithium polymer is the most widely used chemistry in the world, be a pretty busy day in court dont you think? :lol: you will find that the majority of folks on here are fully aware of the danger of Lipo thanks to the efforts of Luke who has more integrity and hands on experience as engineer than anyone on here I know of.

Any large battery pack should be treated the same way, care should be taken whether NIMH, Lipo, Life it doenst matter a lot of the charging fires are caused by piss poor Chinese chargers supplied with some of these kits and lead acid batteries, in fact there was an old chap killed in my town exactly because of the charger on his mobility scooter charging in the hall of his house.

So no matter what chemistry you should pay the same attention esp if you are in a flat or attached dwelling.

From the posts I have seen from you so far your comments on this forum tend to be trying to start pointless arguments, I just dont get it :roll: if you want to save the world from battery fires then start by spreading the word no matter what chemistry it could start a fire instead of implying other chemistries are totally safe when they are not... so if they are not totally safe you have to treat them with the same caution.

Hey Grizzlybabe, There's alot more dangerous things that people have come to accept because the "benifets outweigh the risk". I could put a list together of some examples for you if you lack the common sense to figure it out for yourself. :mrgreen:

whats up with all the lipo fear mongering?

How many lipo related injuries are recorded anualy?
& compaired to accidental drownings?

Only $1000? You are worth more than that!

Maybe he's just mad he bought the A123's and NOW wants LIPO.

Better park the EV in the back yard while charging, oh don't forget the snow blowers in the garage with the GAS can.

crap, now Ive gotto sleep out side in a tent. Damn, I can't sleep either.

Sell the car, get rid of the snow blwer and the rest or the GAS power tools. What about the Laptop, cell phones, E-tooth brusees.

Oh Shit, let it burn, I'm moving out of here.

Dan

SamTexas said:
Grizzlybear said:

Unless you're still living in the 19th century, I guarantee that you have LiPo in your possession too. Cell phone, laptop, PDA, GPS...

Grizzlybear said:

There is "consumer" LiPo (cell phones, laptops, PDAs, GPSs, Ipods...) and there is RC LiPo. Both are Lithium Cobalt, but I think that's where the similarity ends. I don't have enough knowledge to say for sure, but to me, RC LiPo is much less stable, which makes it more dangerous. I don't use RC LiPo at this moment (so I'm not a fan), but I know for sure I will in the near future (I still won't be a fan). When that time comes, I will be extra, exTRA, EXTRA careful. I will not treat RC LiPo the same way I treat consumer LiPo. The extra high discharge rate of RC LiPo is simply too attractive to ignore.

So, ignoring your theatrics, let me say that I agree with you to some degree.

Well at least we're safer off than having gasoline in the garage. How many of us store gasoline or other petroleum products around their house? We had to lift our water heaters 18" off the ground because a gas can could leak or get knocked over and the fumes would travel over to the water heater and ignite the whole garage. Or how about when they reformulated gasoline and the o rings in cars would dissolve? That was a few years ago but I remember seeing it in the news here in California and personally witnessing 4 or 5 vehicles on the side of the road blazing away in large sheets of flames. Nobody seems to feel guilty keeping that stuff around.

You might be in trouble if you are charging unsafely and you burn the apartments down. I put em on charge with my modified/ homemade charger and went to sleep like usual might not fly too good.

If you can show evidence that you took reasonable precautions it should be judged an accidental fire. This is america though, so civil suits would be happening for sure if you hurt others. So you might be fine in crimial court, yet screwed in civil court.

The key thing is not to do stupid stuff. Not doing stupid stuff should keep the fire from happening, or at least make it possible to grab a shovel and flip the flaming pack out the door. You do have some tongs or a shovel handy, and a good fire extinguisher RIGHT?

Don't keep using packs known to have damage or a problem cell, dont store or charge them on the carpet, use a charger system designed for RC lipo, instead of bulk charging with something hacked.

Don't flip out now, I don't mean bulk charging is dangerous, just that in civil court it could be seen that way. You want to be in court, if it happens, saying you did not do anything that makes it appear more likely to be dangerous.

Back