Questions on first build with MTB

dpearson2011

10 mW
Hi all, I have been doing a good bit of research and I'm preparing a shopping list for my first e-mtb. I have a few questions before I make my first order for parts regarding the electronics.

I think that I am going to use 2 turnigy 6364 213kv motors. What is the benefit to using 2 esc's vs 1? I think I am going to use the 150a car esc to take advantage of the electronic brakes. I am hoping to achieve 25-30mph. I am a novice to soldering etc so I would like to keep it as simple as possible.

I see nearly everyone using LiPo but I would like to start making battery packs with LiFe. Is it possible to use LiFePo4 chemistry with the turnigy 6364 213kv motor and 150a car esc from hobbyking?
If this is possible, I was thinking of 2 ZIPPY Flightmax 8400mAh 4S2P 30C LiFePo4 Packs wired in series or 3 ZIPPY Flightmax 4200mAh 3S1P 30C LiFePo4 Packs. This would give me an 8s or 9s respectively but the car ESC only says it is rated for 2-6s LiPo. Would this be a problem or would it be possible if I used 2 esc's? Any other suggestions for a LiFePo4 battery pack with the above motor/esc setup?

Another option that I would be ok with is purchasing one of the kits from Alien Power System. I was thinking the 4 KW or 6KW DIY kit that includes one esc that powers both motors. The motors are 270kv for the 4KW kit and 170kv for the 6KW kit. Has anyone had any experience with these kits? Which option would be better for achieving my speed goal on the mtb setup? Would this kit be compatible with LiFePo4?

Thanks in advance for your input, I realize that I still have a lot of research to do but even if you can point me to certain threads to read, that would be helpful. :mrgreen:

Difference between Dual ESC vs Single ESC is just the final product is two escs in one. There's really not much difference at all besides a dual esc might be less wires.

There are not many dual escs besides the APS esc as nobody else sells them anymore. I use to sell them but no longer do as they are not high quality.

I would prefer to wire two single escs and use Y adapters as the single escs available are much better.

Using LiFePo4 - you will need 1.5 to 2 times the amount of battery. It's not that much better and you get less power.

LiPo's are fine just as long as you don't undervoltage, puncture.

But both packs will cause a fire by shorting.

(2) 6S 5ah 20C Turnigy packs $40/each = 12S 5ah for only $80. Great deal if you ask me.

Back