Qulbix Q140MD - any experience?

engate said:
I designed a simple CA mount. The one the bike came with just didn't look right and I had to take it off every time I had to flip the bike upside down.I printed it with a 3D printer with ABS at 90% infill.

Engate, very nice. You should post that in the Qulbix general thread since it's probably compatible on all Qulbix frames.

So, transporting a 50kg E-bike means you need something a little beefier than a regular bicycle rack... ended up buying a motorcycle hitch carrier, rated for 270kg! Have tried both the e-bike and my KTM 690 Enduro on the back, the thing is rock solid ;)

Now I'm just waiting for the snow to melt so I can actually start the riding season properly!

A short video from todays ride - the snow is melting fast now, hopefully not too many weeks until I can hit the trails properly!

A little higher pace in places compared to my last video as there was hardly anyone else out this early in the morning, probably helped by it being around 1 degree Celsius when I started ;)

[youtube]6TVcI29PMYQ[/youtube]

Nice! I just finished upgrading the bike so I rode it in a forest trail today. It was a bit muddy :D
I replaced the grips,twist throttle with a thumb throttle.Upgraded front disc to Shimano Ice tech along with rear & front brake calipers (Shimano Saint).It has a bit more braking power so that's nice if you need to stop quickly.
Magicshine MJ-906 front & rear light. Basically it makes night look like daylight.

You should reinforce the plastic part of the rear mudguard. It's too flimsy so one big bump and the wheel is going to suck it under the metal mudguard.Qulbix sent me a new one for free luckily. I reinforced it and it's great since then.

nKCdHwH.jpg

87QQFhv.jpg

y0QiRjw.jpg

yVCwaSK.jpg

Great stuff Ben, thanks for posting the vid, glad you are enjoying your ride during the snow season.

Looking good gents....and thanks again to the both of you for answering my questions over on my thread....

So it looks as though they Powder Coat these things matte? If so, I like that. It is one of the questions I have submitted to them. Are the stickers matte as well? They appear to be.

My idea is cement gray (similar to enagtes stickers on top) for the frame, swingarm and fork (if possible) and fluorescent yellow for the stickers and wheel stickers. However, I only want the sticker on the top where it says Q140MD and the others that accent it. The sticker that says "Quilbix" I am hoping they can delete.

Since I will be using this partly as a commuter bike I figured I wanted something to "pop" on the bike, hence the yellow.

Engate: I too have pondered upgrades. What are your thoughts on the suspension?

C158 said:
Engate: I too have pondered upgrades. What are your thoughts on the suspension?
The rear suspension is fine,but a fox shock would be better OFC. The front is fine as well as long as you don't ride fast on off road.Once you do it's pretty much garbage.small bump sensitivity is very bad.and it's very sticky as well.You get what you pay for :) it's a cheap fork.

Nice ride engate! I can see why you would hit some thermal issues when you are going at higher speeds like that, you will be operating near full throttle for much larger periods of time than I do.

If I rode like that near any people I would have the police after me in a matter of minutes, people here are sceptical of mountainbikers, e-bikes are worse, and high powered e-bikes like mine are viewed with great scepticism ;) I will have to find a nice deserted bit of trail somewhere once the snow goes though, and really test the speed of this thing, looks like a whole lot of fun riding it like a motocross bike!

[/quote]
it has lot of power & torque! the only issue is that for road use seems to be slow. it needs more top speed.
[/quote]

He utilizes the high torque sprocket. The bike is capable of 20mph+ over what you see here in this video with the different sprocket options.

Some mods again. The throttle has been replaced with a domino. It feels & works much better than the original twist throttle.
The throttle input now goes into the Cycle analyst and through that to the controller. Throttle response is now perfect.

3 Button Up/Down Digital Aux Input has been added as well.
You can adjust basically everything with one button press. Power ramp up,max power,etc.

Now it adjusts the max power based on the motor temp. If it goes over 110 celsius it starts to reduce the max power available gradually till 140 celsius when it becomes 0W.

You can adjust basically everything,it's so much better :D

L0ZXDQ6.jpg

D0iPwVP.jpg

Very interesting mods Engate, especially running the throttle through the Cycle Analys to allow for all the features from that unit!

Much simpler addition to mine today, added a mirror to the left side of the handlebar. Riding motorcycles for years means I feel blind without a mirror when I'm riding on roads with traffic, so this should help a lot, and it was quite a neat solution too :)

Hey guys,

What are some ideas for storage? It would be nice to bring the charger along, but not in my backpack. In addition, just things here and there such as a snack, little tools enter etc.

There has to be something out there that could attach to it in a clean way.

If you go for the moto seat you can put a lot of stuff under that.Co2 cartridges,spare tubes,tube repair kit,multi tool,etc :) I also put the light battery there.and there's still a lot of space to fill up.

1ohZFtc.jpg

For the bicycle seat I've gone with this (Topeak MTX BeamRack E-Type) for larger amounts of gear - like when I am going camping :) I will need to work out a nice way to store a small multitool and a tire repair kit though for the shorter journeys. Better to have it and not need it as the saying goes...

benjamin84 said:
For the bicycle seat I've gone with this (Topeak MTX BeamRack E-Type) for larger amounts of gear - like when I am going camping :) I will need to work out a nice way to store a small multitool and a tire repair kit though for the shorter journeys. Better to have it and not need it as the saying goes...

Thanks guys...this looks perfect!

Soooo any ideas on how to lock this thing up? Cost be of no consideration of course. As mentioned in the other thread, bike is ordered, so time to buy all the other stuff needed.

A few pictures from yesterdays ride. This one was a bit nuts, 3 and a half hours of slogging through deep mud (up to the rear axle in places), deep snow, rocky and unforgiving single track, and steep logging trails. I would estimate, by distance, about 70% of it was at walking pace trying not to get stuck and/or fall off, and the remaining 30% was on flowing trails at higher speeds.

It was fun and tiring in equal measure! There is no other vehicle I would rather have done this on, a regular pedelec would have been hell to get through the mud and snow, while a bigger enduro motorcycle would have been impossible to lift over some of the obstacles I had to get past.

Youtube video will come once I've had a chance to sort through the clips! Lots of swearing, heavy breathing, falling over and getting stuck.

Edit: I added a small seat post bag to be able to bring a small multitool and drink-bottle with me. Worked very well for this technically challenging ride, and didn't get in the way!

I also did some power consumption testing on road. In ECO mode, doing a steady 26-27kph, I used under 17 Wh/km. In full power mode, doing around 50kph with the power settings I have set up now (slightly reduced from full), I was using 40.1 Wh/km. Pretty good numbers in my opinion, could easily do over 100k in ECO on the road!

benjamin84 said:
I also did some power consumption testing on road. In ECO mode, doing a steady 26-27kph, I used under 17 Wh/km. In full power mode, doing around 50kph with the power settings I have set up now (slightly reduced from full), I was using 40.1 Wh/km. Pretty good numbers in my opinion, could easily do over 100k in ECO on the road!

What battery option did you get? I ordered mine with the 72v 30ah

I am really hoping to get 45 to 50 miles out of a charge under commuting circumstances (high speed in some areas, slow in others, stopped for 20 seconds here and there, and so forth).

I got the 72v 30Ah version too, 2160 Wh :) Let's say you average 30 Wh / km that makes for 72km, or 45 miles :) If you use a bit of regen, or ride closer to 25kph rather than 50 you should see well over 50 miles on asfalt!

Anyways, here is a video from yesterdays ride! Starts off slow, then cuts to some lovely royalty free synthwave music to cover up my heavy breathing ;)

[youtube]Tb-DVu0JYt4[/youtube]

Good stuff Ben, glad you are getting lots of use out your machine. Appreciate the vids and pics, keep them coming.

Good to hear :) They are fun to make, and I do them mostly because I know I will need something to watch next winter, but it's nice to know someone else is watching them too ;)

engate said:
[youtube]zx4pDfLSoJo[/youtube]

It appears (a bit hard to tell I admit) that you hit a max speed of about 48kph or about 30mph. This sprocket setup is advertised to get you to about 55kph or 35mph.

Were you full throttle? Was that really the max? If so, do you attribute the loss of 7kph to weight or something else?

I am hoping the middle sprocket will get me to the advertised 43mph, if not a few mph more.

Back