• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Qulbix Raptor 140

spinningmagnets said:
Is anyone considering a Raptor with a LightningRods big block motor driving the left side? (72V X 60A = 4,300W) The result would be similar to bzhwindtalkers LMX P2...(http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61030)
I am pretty tempted to do this. I think I'm nearly sold on the Raptor and should be ordering one when I move to Vancouver in a few weeks. I've got a cromotor in my closet and a big block GNG ordered from LightningRods, just not sure which one I want to use.

I broke my collarbone last week playing with my smaller GNG so I have plenty of time to plan out either build :)

I can get 70+ km/h from the small GNG but have geared it to 50km/h to keep myself out of trouble, I'm worried if I choose the cromotor that I'm going to break myself taking jumps way too fast because the power is there, when really I prefer to do lower speed technical trials style riding that's easier with a mid-drive.

The thing that is putting me off from the GNG build is that I'd need to design a few custom parts to mount the motor, left hand sprocket/brake assembly, and chain tensioner, compared to the cromotor build which should bolt right together without any custom parts.

I'm going to end up with 3 totally different bikes again aren't I :(

bee said:
spinningmagnets said:
Is anyone considering a Raptor with a LightningRods big block motor driving the left side? (72V X 60A = 4,300W) The result would be similar to bzhwindtalkers LMX P2...(http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61030)
I am pretty tempted to do this. I think I'm nearly sold on the Raptor and should be ordering one when I move to Vancouver in a few weeks. I've got a cromotor in my closet and a big block GNG ordered from LightningRods, just not sure which one I want to use.

I broke my collarbone last week playing with my smaller GNG so I have plenty of time to plan out either build :)

I can get 70+ km/h from the small GNG but have geared it to 50km/h to keep myself out of trouble, I'm worried if I choose the cromotor that I'm going to break myself taking jumps way too fast because the power is there, when really I prefer to do lower speed technical trials style riding that's easier with a mid-drive.

The thing that is putting me off from the GNG build is that I'd need to design a few custom parts to mount the motor, left hand sprocket/brake assembly, and chain tensioner, compared to the cromotor build which should bolt right together without any custom parts.

I'm going to end up with 3 totally different bikes again aren't I :(

yep pretty much. I would do the big block, if you like the tech riding under 25mph then no hub . Hubs ride like eh over rough terrain at 30mph also…. I'm actually getting rid of hubs for big block setup.

I will run it directly to rear sprocket, keeping pedals and disc brakes.

Just a heads up to the Aussies sitting on the fence, and for that matter anyone else looking to buy a raptor shortly:
Production time for these frames is a few weeks but Qulbix have a holiday coming up shortly at the end of the month. They won't be back until the 18th of August so if you don't order until the end of July it won't ship until the 18th and then with shipping time you wont get it until September. Let me know in the next 2 days if you want one before September :)

10478240_646401692113783_6737162211997922174_n.jpg

Mammalian04 said:
I'm quite interested to see how these mid-drive projects come out. Post pics soon!

Is there room for the mid drive on a 140?
I am moving forward with trying a Lightning Rods mid-drive on one of my raptors. I am a little worried about the clearance up front (between front wheel and the larger 140 battery box) but Mike (LightningRods) thinks it will work. We need to get a template diagram of the front controller mounting area from Ziva at Qulbix.

Hyena said:
Just a heads up to the Aussies sitting on the fence, and for that matter anyone else looking to buy a raptor shortly:
Production time for these frames is a few weeks but Qulbix have a holiday coming up shortly at the end of the month. They won't be back until the 18th of August so if you don't order until the end of July it won't ship until the 18th and then with shipping time you wont get it until September. Let me know in the next 2 days if you want one before September :)

Are they supplying the 140s right now with the bicycle style seat post?

Yep both moto and bicycle kits are available. It's not like they have a warehouse full of these sitting there though, the frames are built to order. It's not an instant process but if you order shortly you'll have one in your lap in around a month. In future once things are more established I'll hold a few in stock locally so will be able to offer delivery within a few days for the Aussies.

Just a quick reply on the Schlumpf matter. Here's how to install Schlumpf yourself: put the HSD on a frame with BB not yet chamfered and measure the offset difference between the left and right crank. Use the frame as a reference not the swing arm. Measure the difference an divide it by two. The number that you get tells you how much the drive side has to be moved towards the center. Chamfer drive side of BB as much as you need to get the desired offset. Usually the drive side of the BB has to be chamfered 1,5 mm more than on the non-drive side.
Otherwise we suggest you let us know you wish to use the Schlumpf beforehand and we'll get everything sorted out for you, so you do need to bother.

schlumpf_HSD_1.jpg

schlumpf_HSD_2.jpg

Qulbix said:
Otherwise we suggest you let us know you wish to use the Schlumpf beforehand and we'll get everything sorted out for you, so you do need to bother.
I think this would be by far the best option, it makes life easier for the end user and removes the risk of them damaging their expensive new frames.
Others who sell schlumpfs rent out the tools to do this with large refundable deposits and then the person ships the gear back when they're finished with it, but this is alot of double shuffling.

That would be something you'd want to decide on up front one way or the other. You probably technically could still fit a regular BB afterwards if for some reason the schlumpf failed, it'd just have less thread in the BB. But I imagine qulbix would only to the work to the BB shell if you packaged a schlumpf at the time.

This is what the tool actually does:

schlumpf-chamfer-640x480.jpg

chamfer.jpg

My BB on a normal Frame hasnt such a long thread.
On your last Picture you have to think that there have to scrap another 4-5mm of it.

Maybe Haberstock Build in the Future a 5mm longer Axle that it FITS EVERY NORMAL 83mm Bottom Bracket......

The Profile racing MTB bottom bracket and cranks with the 6 7/8" spindle will work. Just have som spacers on hand so the cranks arms can be custom centered on the spindle after the spindal is installed, BTW, the spindle can be centered inside of the BB Bearings as well to get the perferct off set for a chaing ring. If you go this route, don't forget to order the spider and desired chaingring.

Attachments

• Profile racing MTB Crank and BB.jpg
    Profile racing MTB Crank and BB.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,110
Merlin said:
My BB on a normal Frame hasnt such a long thread.
On your last Picture you have to think that there have to scrap another 4-5mm of it.

Maybe Haberstock Build in the Future a 5mm longer Axle that it FITS EVERY NORMAL 83mm Bottom Bracket......

No you don't actually take off any length. All you are doing is tapering it.

Not really...
Read a bit closer....
The crank is Not in the middle.
When you tapered it complete it is also Not in the middle.
As you can See in the drawing from qulbix you have to Mill it 4mm more on the right side to bring it in the middle.

Heh, the cat is out of the bag now Rod!

Speaking of which, look what I just found in my workshop under a heat lamp - a raptor hatchling :p

raptor-hatchling.jpg

Haha... Aliens will die also eating enough phase amps lol :-D
Someone have to crack this software...
They are totally under rated....

My cycle analyst stops the cro at 120°
....touching the Controller it has ambient Temperatur only (or maximum 5° higher)...

It says the motorcycle seat is 140-160mm wide. I can't tell by the pictures as the motorcycle seat looks straight but does it get wider towards the rear?

Merlin said:
Haha, i see a sabvoton is waiting :D
It's waiting to slap my big cro-style motor black and blue. How does that 350 phase amps taste piggy ? :lol:
I think they're underrated too. I'm looking forward to spending some time tuning and tweaking it.
The big solid aluminium base is a great heatsink. They're big and heavy, yes. But perfect for a high powered raptor build. I couldn't fit it on my stealth fighter previously as the frame was too narrow.

Offroader, I'm only speculating as I dont have one in front of me but yes I'd say it's narrower at the front where it mounts to the frame (140 wide as per the name) and then flares out over the bolt on moto sub frame.

Back