Rad Power 72 Volt Lithium E-Bike Trike Rally

neuraxon77

100 mW
Found this on YouTube.

[youtube]2piFwh1rpSM[/youtube]

When I was a kid, my father brought home from university an old milage marathon with the motor removed. My brothers and I would propel it wheelchair style up our long hill and go nuts down it. It was awesome fun until you rolled it. :lol:

This video makes me want a souped up trike to relive my youth! If ever there was a need for trick suspension on a trike, rocks and jumps would be it. 14" Shinko Trials tyres might be awesome for a trials trike. :p

W000t!! Man that looks FUN!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'm gonna have to build a trike! Love the burn-outs! 8) 8) 8)

Looks like fun...reminded me of Recumpence's Yellow Trike video Matt don't need dirt to
do doughnuts and drift though :wink:

KiM

Bonzo has one of these. I thought I wanted one too. I am a little concerned that traffic can't see me. The real killer for me was that it was too hard on my back and neck with the degenerative disc disease i've got going on. Maybe a model with full suspension and a more upright seat would work. It is a blast to ride one of these. It feels like you are going really fast because you are so low to the ground.

cool :D

The crazy europeans race these trikes on luge tracks down mountains in the summer. Hans Seide (Steintrikes) has some u-tube videos. The suspension really helps to cushion the bigger bumps.
otherDoc

The suspension really helps to cushion the bigger bumps.

im sure it does - but:
1. it is harder to build an RC style electric drive I believe
2. limited space for battery
3. at least twice the price!

After experience with stiff carbon eVK3 [which does have rear suspension], i was dreaming about big time full suspension trike for my next project! Untill i logged on to my internet banking account.... :roll:

So I'm waiting for steintrikes guys to knock on my door and apologize for late xmas present. I promise I will forgive them :mrgreen:

But seriously, are january sales likely to affect trike?

Anyone heard of the new 2011 KMX models? I am torn between cobra with 20'' rear wheel and typhoon at the moment - any suggestions? Is it worth paying more for cobra? Im going to use 3210 drive from Matt....

thanks!

wojtek said:
The suspension really helps to cushion the bigger bumps.

im sure it does - but:
1. it is harder to build an RC style electric drive I believe
2. limited space for battery
3. at least twice the price!

After experience with stiff carbon eVK3 [which does have rear suspension], i was dreaming about big time full suspension trike for my next project! Untill i logged on to my internet banking account.... :roll:

So I'm waiting for steintrikes guys to knock on my door and apologize for late xmas present. I promise I will forgive them :mrgreen:

But seriously, are january sales likely to affect trike?

Anyone heard of the new 2011 KMX models? I am torn between cobra with 20'' rear wheel and typhoon at the moment - any suggestions? Is it worth paying more for cobra? Im going to use 3210 drive from Matt....

thanks!

It is a bit harder to incorporate a rear suspension in a tadpole but it is certainly worth it to save your back. I built 4 versions of alloy trikes based on Tricruiser 2000 before buying the Mad Max. It is my apartment in Paris and my 265 GTB Ferrari all rolled into one! :) Those KMX trikes really seem like a good value but they have very stiff frames. Maybe Matt can engineer a rear suspension to go with his wonderful driveline? Best of luck with your build.
otherDoc

PM bonzo about his kmx trike. He told me he wished he would have bought the lesser priced model after all things were considered.

talked to KMX in the UK, the distributor for continental Europe might be able to customize the trike for me, so i could get 20'' rear wheel Cobra or all 20'' wheel typhoon! not confirmed though ...

but then mudguards set for 100EUR! headrest 80Eur! that is ridiculous, how can they justify such a high price!

many people have warned me about the problem of non suspension in the KMX - which now makes me think if i should really go for KMX :roll:

The good thing about KMX is that Matt has kind of ready made drive for them..

With full susp, i would have to use hub motor as i won't be able to fit Astro by myself. And there is not much choice here in Europe. Only steintrikes - but they look really cool. I will use this trike mostly off -road ..

So here I am again, in the starting point!

I'm no salesman for Steintrikes but they are solid (built of steel by Serbian blacksmiths :) ) and a good value for a full suspension trike. I started with a geared Bafang in the rear and the weight was unnoticible on big bumps. We switched to 9C for quiet mode running and the suspension in the rear(unsprung weight) really is too heavy for off road. It works fine on drainage curbs and still is light years ahead of no suspension. Maybe a mid-drive could be done for off-road.
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
I'm no salesman for Steintrikes but they are solid (built of steel by Serbian blacksmiths :) ) and a good value for a full suspension trike. I started with a geared Bafang in the rear and the weight was unnoticible on big bumps. We switched to 9C for quiet mode running and the suspension in the rear(unsprung weight) really is too heavy for off road. It works fine on drainage curbs and still is light years ahead of no suspension. Maybe a mid-drive could be done for off-road.
otherDoc

Steintrike is 3x the price of KMX Typhoon.
I am testing KMX tomorrow and see. I read a lot of reviews and in most of them, people complain about the new seat above all.

3 words:

I WANT ONE !!! :mrgreen:

I still have that idea in my mind and.. that look really fun!!

one day..... 8)

docnjoj said:
otherDoc

I am also considering folding Scorpion Fx or Fs. With Matt's 3210 astro drive- the only pain that i can see would be to mount this drive and still keep the fold-ability possible.
But before I have to sell all other bikes to finance this beauty.
So here am i selling my Kona Dawg with BMC V2S, and Giant Alliance C0 9.5kg hardtail and Giant CRS Alliance flat bar road bike :)

The Scorpion FS is near 1000 USD more than the Steintrike. I had to cross it off my list because it is alloy and I stick to old fashioned hub motors. Really beautiful trike. Good luck on your sales of ebikes. I believe that the FX has a rear suspension and is also alloy. I have always foud it is easier to mount things on steel frames unless the alloy is square tubing. Then you can bolt to it and not worry about welding and tempering.
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
The Scorpion FS is near 1000 USD more than the Steintrike. I had to cross it off my list because it is alloy and I stick to old fashioned hub motors. Really beautiful trike. Good luck on your sales of ebikes. I believe that the FX has a rear suspension and is also alloy. I have always foud it is easier to mount things on steel frames unless the alloy is square tubing. Then you can bolt to it and not worry about welding and tempering.
otherDoc

thanks a lot for your comments! Very good point with the alloy frame... + steintrikes seem more solid for serious mountain biking. But I am not planning to do crazy stuff - just enjoy the nature!
Here is Europe the difference is only "400EUR" but scorpion gives the the folding option which is very interesting as i want to go to different places in Europe and mountainbike all over the place ;)
With Steintrike i would need to install a rack outside of the car which with my hyundai i10 could be impossible. So for now i will explore a bit more the options for Scorpion Fs.

I might have already found a solution for the batteries:
http://shop.leichter-fahren.de/product_info.php/products_id/99

The hardest being motor mount..

Re hub motors, i believe they would make the ride off road unstable and the wheel is heavy and unsuspended - I would hate to take this option but if i have to, then i will probably get BMC V2 600W T at 4kg. Or the Falco motor 1000W at 3.5kg :D

I don't really like the mid-drive solutions - dont know why as i never tried :roll:

i opened a new topic for this build: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24439&p=353837&hilit=scorpion#p353837

Thanks neuraxon77 for referencing my video. This thing is a blast, everyone on the forum should get one so we can race. The most overlooked benefit of these trikes is that girls can ride on your lap. The looks are priceless when I'm riding around town.

The most overlooked benefit of these trikes is that girls can ride on your lap. The looks are priceless when I'm riding around town.

:lol: I did think about the carrying capacity of trikes after watching a couple of videos, but I can't imagine better cargo to be carrying than that!

So tempted to build one that I've doodle designed my own off-road fully adjustable (camber, caster, kingpin, Ackermann, controls, wheelbase, track, ride height) tilt trike suspension chassis with mid mounted electric drive. I kinda went a little nuts with my design... :mrgreen:

Regarding the battery mount on a KMX Typhoon. We have a custom made battery, 48V, 12AH, LithiumCobalt. This is placed in a small piece of drainage pipe with two end fittings, and painted black for better looks. For details see the picture at http://www.bikebuilders.nl/images/stories/e-trike_groot.png.

Regarding the seat comfort. KMX has a more comfortable seat available which we will have in stock soon. Keep you posted on the improvement (if any).

Back