Random battery combination idea.

trialspower2

100 W
I have been building an electric trials bike for the last couple of years with my own controller. Now I have it up and running I am looking at getting all the final setup sorted so I can finish it.

Here in the UK a normal competition event will cover well under 10 miles with around 40 sections. I believe a 1.200kwh battery will be suitable. I want peak current of around 350A at 75v, without to much performance loss over the discharge of the battery. Looking around, I feel lipo is the only option for this as weight is critical.

There are also some long distance events, where the petrol bikes stop to fill up with fuel. I want to be the first to finish such events on electric power. An example of this is the scott trial @ 80 miles.

I thought an additional li-ion battery pack might be the best solution which can be charged at fuel stops. But as these batteries are more suited to low discharge rates and have a large voltage drop over the discharge cycle I was thinking how to get the best out of them. So I came up with this;

Connect enough in series so when at 2.5 volts they still make 75v.
Build a step down converter/ charger device which pumps say 20A charge into the main lipo pack constantly. This will cut off when the lipos are say 4.1v per cell. But when the lipos are under this supply 20A to the system constantly. If the bikes using over 20A, the lipos will be getting flatter, under 20a the lipo's will be charging. I would have this pack weigh around 10kg. This will allow me to use 3.5Ah 18650 batteries and discharge them under 1C getting the maximum power out of them.

There will be losses in the step down, but I dont think these will be much. The lipos might not like it, but its only for the odd event. As long as they are balance charged after and they probabily wont charge much over 1C at 20a on the bike. I am technically carrying more batteries this way, but it gives me extra range in the event I need it. The two packs will give at least 3.5kwh, thats got to be good for 30-40 I think. On the road the bike uses around 2.4kw @ 30 mph and 4kw @ 40mph.

Thoughts?

trialspower2 said:
Build a step down converter/ charger device which pumps say 20A charge into the main lipo pack constantly. This will cut off when the lipos are say 4.1v per cell. But when the lipos are under this supply 20A to the system constantly. If the bikes using over 20A, the lipos will be getting flatter, under 20a the lipo's will be charging. I would have this pack weigh around 10kg.
If you are going to do that, a small set of LiFePO4s will make a lot more sense than a main lipo pack. Optimize the LiFePO4's to provide acceleration power, and use the weight saved to put more lithium ion on.

LiFePO4 is great at high power charge/discharge, and has a long cycle life.

Winston/Thundersky/Voltronix, CALB, GBS, A123 & Sinopoly

I stop at 3.45V at the top, 2.99V at the bottom.

Can RC lipo's as the attached really deliver the currents they advertise? eg

https://www.overlander.co.uk/lipo-battery-5000mah-4s-14-8v-80c-extreme-pro.html

I am thinking I could make a standard battery pack as a combination of these with li-ion batteries. I think I could get the charge density up to 210w/kg on a 6.5kg battery pack which can deliver 400A peak. Could run the lithium polymer batteries between 3.7-4.1 volts to try and help with life span. Not sure how the batteries will react to sort of continuous charging/ discharging within the middle voltage range.

For deep cycling longevity, lipo is a very small fraction of LFP's lifespan.

Properly cared for, low C rates, LFP could last for well over a decade of daily use.

I am more interested in maximum performance at this moment in time. To get peak current and voltage I am looking for I will need almost 6kg of LFP's, and thats on the small side for current compared to 2.5 kg of lipo's which according to the datasheets will easily deliver the current. As a 6.5kg lipo/ li-ion pack I can get by far the best charge density.

Just need to replace the li-ion batts with the OXIS lithium sulphur pack (400w/kg) and then we are getting somewhere.

Perhaps LTO for the power cells and Li-ion for the charging pack?
Any way you could just have someone meet you with a fresh pack along the way?

I don't get it. Will you charge one battery with another when you ride? How long would it take to fuel if you do a long range race?
I mean 20 minutes, can you stay and charge that amount of time when petrolheads fuel theirs?

A fast charger are more costly so why not even get a larger battery. say 50km/h average will take 2kw average so you need a battery of at least 4kw if you're out and pushing for two hours. How long does it take to run a 80 mile race, when does the first guy finish?

a formula
so time in hours * average power in kw = battery size in kw

You can also use a "rechargeable" controller so when you brake you store energy from the braking into the battery and that saves the size of your battery a lot if you do a lot of "break and go" 0-20%

DANGEROUS. You can also overcharge lipos allthough not safe but my brother did charge his lipos to 4,4v or 4,6v before they caught fire one day(20s charger charging 16s) and that did equal to about 160%-180% of original capacity of a normally charge lipo cell 4,2v

There is no time to stop and charge batteries, would have to change to another pack at each fuel stop.

My speed controller regens, problem is trials tyres create alot of drag.

I came up with this idea for the following possible gains;

Could offer the lightest solution due to high charge density of low ampage 18650 batteries.
Allows the batteries to be fully drained while maintaining a more regular bus voltage
The 18650 pack can be changed easily at fuel stops, the lipos will not be changed and will always have some charge to act as a reserve of energy.

Back