Rapture! by Dusty Donnay

tostino said:
Very very nice build! I'm super impressed.

About your comments with breaks... Do you have regen enabled?

My bike would have extremely crappy braking without regen, however, with it... It more than doubles my stopping power from the feel of it. Not to mention the extra bit you get back in the batteries.

Worth a shot if you ask me.

I had regen braking setup on my Infineon 12FET 48/72V 45a controller. When I switched to the Lyens 18FET 72v65a I left it off. My original plan was to go to a ping battery with BMS, so regen would have been out of question. I obviously changed my mind on the batteries, and since Im not using a BMS, and my packs can take huge feed, I may put it back on, If I do though, Id rather use a variable application, ie. hall sensor e braking. I want to be able to vary the application. maybe go with Hydraulic front and rear disc, and regen optional in real time.

Got a few things I been wanting to do with the controller, but Its my fastest controller right now and I dont want to stop ridding just to make it better ....... silly huh! It would be the safe thing to do to take a couple days off and reconfig the system.

When I put it all together, I still never had the USB st up right, I can do that at the same time and be able to take this to the next level instead of just beating it around town at 45+ mph! LOL I still get real nervous over 45.

WOT in Delta for three miles on Lyens 18FET with A123 M1 24s4p. Im going to 8g power and phase even inside the conroller! Damned hard to keep these things from melting!

These were 12g wires on Anderson 45s. NOT!

DSC_3161.jpg

DSC_3162.jpg

Also going to build up the trace in the controller, worried about what I will find inside, but its the batteries Im really stressed about. I will find out tonight if they are toasted! When the wires melted, I think there was a resulting short that did the heavy damage!

also, if the packs survived, im gonna double the bus bars!

You're continuously running what is probably double the rated current of those connectors, no wonder they melted!
You probably don't need 8ga, 10 would do but that little speaker wire (what is it, 12-14ga ?) is definitely holding you back.
I can't remember if you drilled your hub covers, but going 3 miles WOT in delta will likely cook your motor next too. Running delta, especially WOT draws HEAPS of current.
You can get big power and great performance out of these motors but you have to be sensible about how you do it.

Hyena said:
You're continuously running what is probably double the rated current of those connectors, no wonder they melted!
You probably don't need 8ga, 10 would do but that little speaker wire (what is it, 12-14ga ?) is definitely holding you back.
I can't remember if you drilled your hub covers, but going 3 miles WOT in delta will likely cook your motor next too. Running delta, especially WOT draws HEAPS of current.
You can get big power and great performance out of these motors but you have to be sensible about how you do it.

LOL! Ya think! Hey, it was fun though! Yes, those were 12g Monster XP wires. I got 8g on the way and more of the sb50 connectors. Going to run 8g throughout all my power, and SB50 or Anderson75 on all power and phase apps! Drilling the covers is my very next plan, was waiting for final results on cooling my X5 thread on what is the best system of holes to use.

So, while Im down, redoing hub to 10g spokes (broke a 12g), taking delta off and going back to full time star with 8g teflon phase exiting between bearings and dropout, ceramic bearings, holes in hood, 8g powerlines including inside the controller, beefing up trace in the controller, adding some heatsinks to the exterior of controller at FETS (getting mighty warm there too!) . That should do it. Might as well do some good to as much as posible, I am DOWN! Do you think when I get this redon, the sb50's will hold out? They show no sign of heat whatsoever in this meltdown?

SS

How are you going to fit 8ga around the bearings ?? While you're in there I'd definitely be adding a temperature sensor too.
I think 10ga in heatshrink would be sufficient for the phase wires to exit the hub and then beef them up with 8ga outside the axle.
What controller current are you running ? The SB50s should be ok, I don't agree with their rating of 50 amps for their size increase over and above the 45a contact though. If you're planning to run upwards of 50 amps continuously (until your motor burns :p ) I'd probably go with the 75s to be on the safe side. Especially if you're going to use 8ga - it'll just make life easier for you (although they are pretty sizable).

I'm still running 45a andersons on 10ga wire in my 7.5kw peak motor and for general riding they're fine. I know from experience that getting carried away in delta and giving it too much stick for too long will melt them though.

SilverSurfer said:
Got a new dragster tattoo....
DSC_3109.jpg

Gonna have to go over it a couple times to get it in good. But good bye bad memories...

Yeah!!! Lovin the dragster! Symbolic of accelerating your life towards wonderful things on the most insanely bad ass land vehicles ever created. :)

If I ever decide to get a tattoo of something I feel strongly enough about to put on myself for life, you will be the guy I have do it. :) One of my friends recently got a Honda symbol tattoo on the back of his hand, and I gotta admit that I like it a lot. :)

SilverSurfer said:
WOT in Delta for three miles on Lyens 18FET with A123 M1 24s4p. Im going to 8g power and phase even inside the conroller! Damned hard to keep these things from melting!

I find that gettng all the strands of a 10g wire into the phase holes hard to do. It can be done, but takes me several tries. What worked best for me was to tin the end of the wire and then sand down the diameter a little until it fit the hole.

Bubba

Back