Rear-disc brake MTB for $260, Walmart

spinningmagnets

Staff member
I got a cheap WM front disc MTB for $200, and today I just noticed they have started to carry a rear disc MTB for $260 called the Mongoose "Snare". My interest in a rear disc bike is the options for attaching a left-side sprocket on a future bike build.

I very much like a full-suspension bike, and I don't really ride that fast. Every configuration has its compromises, but the several RC-motor builds have shown that these small motors can perform well, and are fairly easy to package into a mount. The $60 63-64 (diameter and length in mm) motor is about 2.5" by 2.5". The $100 80-85 is still only 3.2" X 3.4".

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10927844

If you are looking for heavy, and no-dampening suspension that is worse than a rigid bike, and flexy frames, any bike in the wal-goose line-up is a good choice.

Come on... Bikes from Walmart really are not THAT bad. A lot of the big name bike companies have their parts made in China too (in the same factories). I will say, however, that I think you can get a better bike for $260. It would probably be a hardtail (I personally don't care for dual suspension bikes) but for $260 you can get a decent mid-range local bike shop bike. Or... You could always swap out the rear wheel with one that has a disc mount. Wouldn't cost anywhere near $260.

I think the big issue with a Walmart bike is the assembly. Just go over every nut and bolt. You don't want to trust your teeth to the 16 year old kid that put it together.

I agree with EVtodd,
Since you want the rear disc as a mount for a sprocket, much better to get a stout wheel for your future build. I bought a SAS wheel last year and it runs a 48 spoke disk hub, double walled 36mm wide rim with stainless steel ferrels holding the double walls together at 48 points. It is made for stunt riding and easily holds a 3" wide (76mm) tire. The beast ran me $140 and is very high quality, strong and teenager doing stunts bomb proof. Now wonder they call the rim Combat, it has held up to that style of riding. Ironically, it will make a nice build option in the future (funny how that works) :roll: :wink: 8)

Doctorbass rides a mongoose... somewhat modified. :twisted:

Thanks for the replies..I would have bought one of these if they had been available 6 months ago, just wanted to get the word out.

I hold no illusions about WM/China quality. I am happy with the bike I have, but even the front disc brake I bought the $200 bike for...is not the same quality or strength as a more expensive "real" front disc.

After I get the electric parts sorted to my performance needs, I'll probably build a second bike about a year from now. Current mental version starts with a double-disc hardtail 26" with front suspension.

What are some well-regarded hardtail disc bike options?

Also, for purchasing a rear disc wheel only, what are some good options?

...and websites that have those at best prices? (thanks in advance, I'm looking myself, but progress is slow and I may miss a good link)

bike part sources I like and use:

www.performancebike.com
www.bikenashbar.com
www.jensonusa.com

Thanks for the links! looks like Jenson has rear disc wheels for $90 (doesn't include tube, tire, gear-cassette or disc) but thats really all that I'm looking for:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH289A05-Wtb+Dual+Duty+Shimano+Wheelset+Oe.aspx

and Niagra has them for $70 (also not including disc, cassette, tube, tire):

http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=13463

I looked at two local bike shops and they each had several hardtail front-suspension 26" bike with dual disc, but the cheapest were at least $500 (Trek 3900, Response DB, Raleigh Mojave 4.0, Giant Sedona LX, ibex DB, etc). The fit & finish and quality of materials was obviously superior to big-box store Chinese bikes, but $500+ is a big pill to swallow for the bike alone when I'm trying to electrify.

I've seen some nice Diamond Backs at Dick's Sporting Goods locally for just over $200. I think they were last year's models and I couldn't tell you if they had a rear disc or not. I think DB is made by the same company that makes Raleigh which is one of my favorites for mid range bikes.

I just bought a trek 4300 disc very lightly used on craigslist. I've never ridden an amazing bike but I don't know what else to ask for in a hardtail bike with dual discs. Only thing so far is that the stock tires are treaded very aggresively so the rolling resistance isnt very low. I could also be feeling this because my commuting bike is a multi decade old bianchi road bike that weighs as much as the trek's handle bars.

Random google'd pic of the bike:

trek-4300-disc-mountain-bike-39011.jpg

Back