Recent concerns of lithium ion batteries

ebent

10 kW
And previous issues with the 787 dreamliner. It seems to me that when the press writes about any negative issue they never indicate the battery chemistry. They write lithium ion. In the final report on the dreamliner I found a tiny bit that gave correct info of the chemistry. LiCO. I like the benefits of cobalt it the right application. But my guess is that lithium cobalt is the most volatile of all the chemistries. And I think it is the only one that create oxygen from heat. From my limited knowledge, I think that there are other chemistries that are much safer, perhaps as safe as lead acid, that would be a better choice of battery to bring it 30,000' up. I think there are LiFEPO4's that can be had and will provide all the power needed. They would be a little larger and heavier. But after they added large steel boxes for the cobalt batteries and a venting system might make the weight and volume more than a safe LiFEPO4.

I have a limited amount of knowledge on the subject. There may be some stuff from above that is wrong. This is not to state facts. I'm looking for a response for clarity on the subject.

Thank you for any comments

Back