Replacing battery top

ozbikeman

100 µW
I have a 36V LiFePO4 battery with a faulty key switch. The battery works intermittently when you jiggle the switch. The manufacturer kindly send me a replacement battery top (with new switch etc in place) but I'm a bit nervous about replacing it. Is there anything in particular I need to be cautious about (for example getting zapped, wrecking the battery, starting a fire etc.)? Does anyone have any tips for me? (including take it to an expert!) Thanks. :?

General procedure for battery work starts with a non conducting surface. Not always so obvious, at first I remember working on an sla battery pack on top of the washing machine. Duh, but it was a handy table top in the garage I habitually use for other kinds of work. Now I'll put a rubber mat on the top to play with a battery. Then just be carefull with any tools. A screwdriver or wrench handle must not be energized undoing a bolt of screw on a battery terminal and then allowed to touch another terminal or the case creating a short. Once you have a bare wire in hand, have a way to cover an exposed connector so the wire can't flop over and make a contact to ground or the other terminal. Duct tape or electric tape will do, anthing that covers the bare loose wire while you work on the other one.

Just take it slow and easy, and think about what any tool touching the battery termnals may touch with the other end, or the shaft. Don't hold a bare + wire with one hand and a bare - with the other. Your project should be really easy as long as you just stop and think a bit about each move and be carefull not to leave bare wires so they could flop over and make contact with each other.

No matter what you do. Wear a protective glasses first. Also, please take zoom in or enlarged photos of your battery and the replacement parts. So we can provide you more details on the extraction process & replacement procedure. You may also contact Steveo for help. He is a great guy in Canada who helps people for a fee. :)

Take off any jewelry; watch rings, etc. wear protective glasses. dont drink too much coffee that day.

d

Back