Resource for tool packs

auraslip

10 MW
Cells used in batteries

* Bosch Litheon 36v – Sony US18650VT
* Bosch 14.v/18v – Samsung INR18650 13Q (1.3 Ah cell / 18 A max)
* Bosch 10.8v/12v Samsung INR18650-13P (1.3 Ah / 10 A max)
* DeWalt NANO 28v/36V – A123 Systems LiFePO4 M1 cell
* Dewalt 18v – A123 APR18650M1
* Dewalt 7.2v-24v NiCd Sanyo/Panasonic 1.3 – 2.5 Ah cells
* Dewalt 18v NiMH Sanyo 2.6 Ah cells
* Hitachi Li-Ion HXP – Sanyo UR18650SAX
* Makita LXT slim 1.5 Ah – Sony SE US18650OV
* Makita LXT 3Ah – Sony US18650VT
* Metabo Lipower – unknown, same as Craftsman’s
* Milwaukee V18/V28 series use MoliEnergy IMR18650E/IMR26700A cell
* Milwaukee M18 – E-Moli IMR-18650E or Samsung INR18650 13Q
* Milwaukee M12 Samsung INR18650 13Q
* Ridgid XLI – same as Milwaukee v18/v28
* Ridgid 18v – 18650 version Emoli or Samsung
* Ridgid 12v – Sanyo UR18650SAX 18650 cells
* Ryobi 18v – Samsung INR18650
* Sears Craftsman – Samsung INR18650 13Q

From http://toolhacker.com/2010/01/bosch-dewalt-makita-milwaukee-ryobi-ridgid-hilti-battery-specs/

Good stuff! Any more links to building packs out tool packs would be great!

So according to that list the Makita VT cells are the same as the Bosch VT cells?
otherDoc

auraslip said:
* Bosch 14.v/18v – Samsung INR18650 13Q (1.3 Ah cell / 18 A max)
Dunno if they're Samsung or not but I have four red Li-ion 1300 mAh 18650 in my Bosch battery case.

No BMS! Which made me wonder...should I use protected cells or not?

Also, if you could advise me a (european?) supplier who would be able to deliver the cells already soldered together (four in a row, nothing fancy), I'd be grateful :)

more specifications about the Ryobi packs in these two threads

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=56505
and
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61281

18v 4Ah P108 packs are Samsung INR18650-20Q
40v INR18650-13q
40v slim ICR18650HB2

MOST IMPORTANT imo is to be able to check/charge individual voltages without opening the case.
dewalt dcb204 4ah 20v (18v) have this feature.
they also handle 20a discharge easily in my tests.
and don't have any pcb inside to eventually fail or cause problems.
i charge manually with the charger that came with my bike, and a DVM and timer with 2 wires for 2 packs in series.

Matt Gruber said:
MOST IMPORTANT imo is to be able to check/charge individual voltages without opening the case.
dewalt dcb204 4ah 20v (18v) have this feature.
they also handle 20a discharge easily in my tests.
and don't have any pcb inside to eventually fail or cause problems.
i charge manually with the charger that came with my bike, and a DVM and timer with 2 wires for 2 packs in series.

what do you mean they can test the volage? How are you connecting them together? And I find it unlikely that there is no BMS in there.... are you sure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGNuE0C5XYY
skeetab5780 video got me interested enough to buy 2 DeWalt dcb204 for 98/2 free ship. i did not open mine up, but you can see what is inside early in the video. 8 handy connectors to do anything you want, easy to access.
no pcb in there! not in bosch fatpacks either
i just hook them in series WITH A FUSE. there are 6 other terminals for testing the cell pairs. i have not had to do any balancing, but it is real important to be able to check now and then.
Using a voltmeter on the handlebar is key to charging and discharging. don't overdo it and life is good!

BYqSXt8Z said:
what do you mean they can test the volage? How are you connecting them together? And I find it unlikely that there is no BMS in there.... are you sure?
There's a heat sensor but no voltage monitoring.

Matt Gruber said:
i just hook them in series WITH A FUSE. there are 6 other terminals for testing the cell pairs. i have not had to do any balancing, but it is real important to be able to check now and then.

wow, direct access inside the pack just like that?!

How does it allow you to do balancing since presumably the pairs would be connected in parallel inside the pack? Does this mean that with a dead cell you could also just wire a pack from the pairs directly and keep using a battery that has a dead pair?

Kudos to Dewalt engineers for making an easy to check pack! If somebody has a balance charger and wants to use it, buy or make a plug. But i'm not going to buy a new charger unless i have a need for it. So lets look at what causes imbalance.
What causes imbalance?
1. overdischarge with unequal cells. And poor quality control. I won't buy cells with a reputation for going out of balance. and with my DVM i don't ride too low, this can damage the cells. Excessive amp drain will heat up any battery and could throw it out of balance. While i test at 20a, my cruise is only 4-6a, 7-8a windy. And i will add some Makita packs for more range and less amp load.
2. BMS drains cells and kills cells during storage. i avoid anything that drains cells not in use. I use a relay on the bike to switch off the pack. If the DVM is RED, this tells me to shut it off!
3. if V sag suddenly increases, this tells me to check each pack, and cell pairs. a pair is a single battery and both will be the same.
with a 3 year warrany and my careful use, i'm not expecting any bad cells anytime soon.
after then, i'd bypass a bad pair with 2 outside the case.
BUT, i'm sure by then there will be new exciting tool packs to try! They are not too expensive during fathers day, christmas, and other sales.

My question is why ? Does dewalt have a balance system in the charger with a lvc only in pack. Or ?
I like having the sense tabs why they do it ?
What cells ?

i hope they charge each cell pair. UR18650RX Sanyo say 3 hours to charge. the $59 dewalt charger says 1 hour. need to be careful when fast charging! Makita says 20 min to 80%. Maybe dewalt will soon sell a super fast charger. good idea to charge pairs, not in series. House builders don't do slow charge like me! Need best pcb for FAST imo.
theycan put any pcb in the drill/tool and charger. Lowers cost of packs, less junk inside.

what about the new DeWalt dcb205?, that are 20v 5ah, these could make an awesome battery but the price is still very high now

Gab said:
what about the new DeWalt dcb205?, that are 20v 5ah, these could make an awesome battery but the price is still very high now
2/160
at 2/120 it would be hard to pass up.
there is also dc9360 nano phosphate. did not see AH, but they claim 2000 cycles, instead of 500.
worth reading those sale flyers!

Back