Reverse Motor rotation effect of changing hall sensor ONLY!

bulletbug

1 µW
I'm new to ebikes and electrical stuff overall. I have good mechanical and fabrication skills, but I'm in grade school when it comes to the magic of electricity.

I've been converting a Motoped of mine to use the Cyclone 3000w motor. Given the jackshaft arrangement of the Motoped, I needed the motor sprocket to reside on the left side (as you sit on the bike) and consequently have the motor rotate CCW instead of the standard CW direction.

I did a bit of reading on how to do this, but apparently not enough.

I switched 2 of the 3 hall sensor wires and the motor rotated in the opposite direction. Quite smoothly, actually. I did not, however switch the phase wires.

After about a 1 mile test drive (I was able to cruise along smoothly throughout) the motor was exceedingly hot. I'm talking about temperatures around 200 degree Fahrenheit.

Now, as you may have already guessed the motor isn't working.

I pulled the motor from the bike and put the wiring back into stock configuration. No good. Rolling the throttle and and off gets only a grunt and half sprocket worth of rotation. I popped open the planetary gear side to confirm that I hadn't torn up the planetary gears and all is well on that side.

I open the opposite side of the motor and am greeted with a foul smell. Possibly the smell of magic smoke...I'm not sure since I've never had a confirmed smelling of it. Inspection on that side of the motor shows signs of high heat. String that wrapped wires melted, general dark coloring on copper.

So if you've made it this far in my post - Here's the question. Are there any other tests that I can/should do to this motor to confirm it's fully dead?

Please remember that I'm new to this, so speaking to me like a 5th grader would be just about right. :D

https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Determining_the_Wiring_for_a_Brushless_Motor

The diagrams are well laid out and would be helpful about 72 hours ago. Now I'm looking for the final confirmation that this motor is dead. Anyone else with some input on how a dead motor acts or is confirmed?

As the chart indicates for reversing, in addition to the Hall Sensor swap you must also swap Phase Power wires.

BLDC motors running poor Phase Power - Hall Sensor timing more often destroys the controller. Motors can usually survive this sort of abuse but I dunno Cyclone kits?

You can perform a motor continuity test by shorting phase wires together and rotating by hand. There should be a big difference in the force to turn the motor when the phase power wires are toggled between short & open. Shorted together = hard to turn. Not touching each other = easy to turn.

These links might help you for testing controller Mosfets and/or Hall Sensors:

http://www.ebikes.ca/learn/troubleshooting.html

Back