Rieju 50cc conversion

Opened the damaged battery pack. It is made of 20s5p Samsung 25R with four years of nearly daily use.
All spot welds are still ok and all battery groups but one are at 4.08V, group 8 is at 3.63V, that must be the explanation to the rapid decline of the pack in the last weeks.

Could be that batteries just got too much out of balance to be corrected by the bms or that the bms is faulty, doesn't really matter as it's worn to the bone with constant charges to 4.2V, discharges down to 3.3V and a lot of current requested :D

Hey lars. Are you happy with the new apt controller? I'm in the middle of finalizing things with qs (which btw takes some time cause of the time diff) and wondering if it's worth upgrading. The votol doesn't seem reliable after your testimony. Though, some people confirm it delivers.

On the other hand, is this motor really capable of getting over 450a phase current without additiinal cooling system in place... Appreciate your advice.

BTW thanks for this thread. Great and inspiring input.

I cannot say really regarding the APT controller. It's a huge brick but if you can fit it then it surely delivers more power than the Votol.
I think the Votol is enough for this motor, if you're looking for max power then the QS motor can take the APT controller power, at least in short term. I have used it at 600A phase current without heating issues 8)

Ohhhh. That is tempting my friend :wink: Did it wheelie? :bolt: Assuming you have not changed the gearing yet ("default" 22:105). I really look forward to seeing some action videos of your ride as soon as you handle the batt issues. That would be great.

I'll post some footage when the new battery is built, i'm currently waiting for 300A BMS for each pack. That's 40kW of power available.

I'll hopefully be ready before february, will do a new enclosure in glass/carbon fibre which will take some effort to design and build.

larsb said:
I am fabricating a new mount for the motor. It will clamp to the swing axle and use the existing holes on the motor sides:
image.jpeg
It will give me 10mm of sideways adjustment and the correct axle to axle distance for the belt.

I bet all but the sideplates could be 3Dprinted with enough strength, maybe i'll post the files here since this moped is pretty common in europe.

This is the idea:
image.jpeg
I just realised that i need to remove the swing to fit the belt so the mount is not assembled with both sides and all screws yet.

Larsb,
please could you share with us the CAD Model of your motor mount.

Thaaaaanks :wink:

larsb said:
Here:
QS3000_motor_mount.zip

2pcs "brakeside support" and one "QS motor mount" assy needed

Thanks Larsb,
I am going to try to 3d model a 1°stage reduction #420 10:20 or 10:22 tooth.
With 5000/6000 rpm I need more torque and less speed for my build. Using a wheel sprocket of 120 tooth seems to much to fit on my motorbike.

larsb said:
Are you scrapping the gearbox?
420 10-100 gearing is still 2.5x more torque than i have.. Do you need more?

I think to put the motor in to a different bike frame. I have an old Aprilia Climber frame (unfortunately without the gearbox) that could be a good choice (instead of using my 50 cc Derbi Senda)

With a reduction of 1:10 I can pull 500nm at wheel :shock: :shock: It is quite a lot of torque also for a trial motorcycle ..... but I am afraid to significantly reduce the range of my rides by draining batteries too soon. Batteries I can fit into a trialbike frame are very limited.

Adding a 1°stage reduction I could deliver the same torque with less power consumption.

Larsb,
The apt96600 sounds quite amazing for its price.
But something that dosent really appears is the max battery current it pulls.
Do you have any clues about that number?
Thanks

I'll hook it up to a scope and shunt in the coming weeks and do some testing. Problem is i need new batteries to drive it and that will take a while to fix.

I've read that the battery current is free to set at any limit in the program but haven't tried more than 200A.

Hey larsb. I'm also waiting for your test results. Actually it's the reason I put my project on hold (-; I really hope that this controller is capable of more than 200A dc. It should, considering its size and number of FETs. Fingers crossed! Thanks for your input and good luck!

Great tread guy's, very inspiring ! Loads of useful info.. I am thinking of building an electric bike my self ! :bigthumb:

I think you'll shred the gearbox within the first 10 minutes :shock:
Iv'e seen a few people upgrade to 80cc+ just to have their gearbox fail on them.

I think the DB50 engine produces something like 4-5Nm :lol:

file.php

BWT what Controller are you planning on using?
56Nm! @72V 120A Batt/450A Phase :D

You'll have to lower the settings on your controller quite a bit eh?
I'm planning on running my motor at 88V 200A Batt/500A Phase :twisted:

SlowCo said:
Very nice rebuild. The QS motor should be better up to the task.
Are you using the gearbox of the ice engine?

the gearbox came from the original 50cc engine (cut out with a metal saw). I already successfully used it with revolt motor at the half kw and about the same power. It seems to be more solid than I expected!

My 50cc engine had a cog reduction from the motor shaft to the gearbox, I think it was something about 1:15. Probably the gear box is made to manage 40-50nm of torque.

eee291 said:
file.php

BWT what Controller are you planning on using?
56Nm! @72V 120A Batt/450A Phase :D

You'll have to lower the settings on your controller quite a bit eh?
I'm planning on running my motor at 88V 200A Batt/500A Phase :twisted:

Controller is the stock Votol to avoid month of troubleshooting and tuning (as kelly with revolt), my battery pack (also used for the motici) is only 60v rated but with 300 amp max and 30ah.

Probably Foc with gearbox is not necessary so I can save more juice.

My ride target will be about 3 hours of soft dirt ride and 2 hours of hard ride :flame:

Back