S-pwr LEDs brighten I-90 lanes over Mtn pass

Kingfish

100 MW
Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Mil
Solar-powered LED lights brighten I-90 lanes at Snoqualmie Pass

This installation is in Washington State, USA on a particularly busy East-West interstate mountain pass that regularly received several feet of snow and avalanche each winter.

KING5 News said:
SNOQUALMIE PASS, Wash. – Brand-new LED, solar-powered lights are illuminating dangerous stretches of Interstate 90 across Snoqualmie Pass. The lights were installed to address driver safety and improve visibility in travel lanes during severe weather and snow storms.

"The biggest complaint we've had over the years is poor visibility," said Corie Henke, WSDOT engineer.

Washington State Department of Transportation crews spent the summer installing 3,600 LED lights along about 6 miles near the Summit Ski Resort and Hyak after receiving federal grant funding of $1 million.

During heavy snow storms, drivers often times can't see which lanes they're supposed to be driving in. WSDOT crews also said that during the winter there's so much wear and tear on I-90 from the salt, sand, chains, and snow plows it's tough to keep up with re-striping.

"The biggest thing is just public safety and letting people know where the lanes are so they can travel in a safe manner," said Henke.

Transportation officials hope the new LED lights are the solution. WSDOT is testing out a couple of different versions of the lights during the pilot to find the most durable and effective ones.

I just happened to go over The Pass last weekend and saw the effects of new construction on the way to the Fresh Hop Ale Fest. WSDOT will be working on I-90 until 2020, widening the path and removing the avalanche dangers, plus adding safe via for migrating critters. It's impressive work.

The LEDs should greatly improve lane control; great use of tech. Stevens Pass (US-2) to the north has the same problem with lane-blindness.

Driving by Braille, KF

Back