• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum.
    Please see: Funding drive thread

Schwinn Izip, first ebike

puddleglum

100 mW
I have my first ebike, humble as it may be. I know that the quality is not great and I am not expecting any great performance, but it is a start so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with it. It doesn't look like it has had very much use. My question is, besides basic bike maintenance, is there anything I should be doing for maintenance on the Currie motor or the electrical components? I have pulled the rear wheel to true it so the motor is off. Both battery packs that came with it were dead. I got one to take a charge but I doubt it will have much range. I have a 24 volt Ping battery though that I bought for another project and then couldn't use it. I just need to make a box for it. I got the bike for free so it should be a pretty cheap project.

gotta start somewhere, dont get put off by your first poor qual /low power bike before...er....'upgrading' ....:D

Thanks.
So, is there anything that needs to to be done for servicing to the Currie motor? Does the gear box need to be greased or anything?

sorry ,cant help too much with that as i dont go for geard motors. theres too many hills where i am and they wouldnt last. i prefer the direct drives, as they are pretty much indistructable. only moving part is the bearings.

definately try asking ebikes.ca support staff, they are really great.

My daily ride is an ezip girls bike (very short legs).
From stock I got 5.8mi out of a brand new batt.
(Pittsburgh hills, my 210lb ass)
Within a week I bought a second rack mount SLA pack and ran a wire to parallel
the two packs. This made it go 19mi! (Enough for daily running) _HOWEVER_ it also
made for a 94lb bike! Soon the rear wheel was a potato chip. Enter the "velocity
psycho 900gram cargo bike double wall rim" and stainless steel spokes.
This was a serviceable ride but trust me, not something you want to even try and
pedal w/o electric assist.
The SLA packs fell apart and I would up with a 40ah 24v LiFePo4 on top of the rack
inside a 'helmet trunk' for a scooter. This is a 45mi (with hills) and over 60mi on flat system!
The gear box was re-greased about about 3000mi with 'super lube' synthetic.
It has recently failed at around 6000mi, the bushing that the output shaft runs
through to drive the sproket failed.
I love my 75lb bike, ride it year round etc.
I would inspect the gears / relube with synthetic grease and go for it.

Hope this is of help!

ps:any readers who have a burned out electro-drive motor, I'd be interested in the output shaft / plate.
:)
Pps:I'm now down to 190 so I _do_ pedal some, but some days my health won't permit. This is my only vehicle!

Back