Scooters in Europe

Nibs

1 mW
Touring Europe and the UK, noticed that stand up two wheel scooters are very common, talking to some folks in bike shops, while looking for a sturmy archer shifter, was informed that ebikes are quite regulated, small motors, no throttles limited speed etc. This leads me to think that the relatively unregulated (and less safe??) scooters are thriving because of the lack of regulation vis a vis ebikes.
Should we be raising this kind of issue with our Canadian regulators, to get bike regs relaxed?.

I have no idea why scooters are less regulated than e-bikes in Europe, in America it makes a bit more sense as e-bikes are more common than scooters but apparently not in Europe. Scooters are definitely more dangerous and it’s kinda surprising that they have no power limits in some areas and still don’t require a license.
As for in Canada the regulations seem to be be between America and Europe, allowing a bit more power than Europe and kinda sorta allowing throttle. I’m not really sure the legality of electric scooters in Canada, some sources say they’re regulated the same as e-bikes and others say they’re not allowed at all on public roads.

Back