Seeking diagnostic help for my 36V "Dinghi" Ebike

Savoyard

10 µW
Hello All,

This is my first post ... I have really enjoyed reading through various threads here in search of solutions. I couldn't find what I was looking for specifically.

I write to you from France where I have this e-bike, about 10 years old that suddenly stopped working ( though it showed power LEDs on and full battery ).

I would like identify which part has failed by the simplest route so that I can order a replacement part.
Thank you in advance for reading and for any suggestions that you might be able to offer.

The failure ...
It had been going strong with good range up until the moment of failure.
Before this, I think I had noticed very occasional, momentary dropouts but I wasn't certain since, this being a road legal European thing, you have to pedal and activate throttle for it to provide assistance ( and occasionally, one kind of forgets and it drops out ! )
I rode it about 10km one day, parked it for 7 hours ( in a dry garage) and when I returned, lights came on but nothing at all from the motor.

What I tried to do ...
Given the nature of the failure I expected to find a wire off or corroded somewhere but I didn't.
I recharged the battery at home, testing it before and after with a meter, it seemed fine ( reads 40.5V fully charged )
I went back to the shop that supplied it close by. They dismantled it somewhat (as you see in the picture, and resulting in there now being one unidentified / unattached wire now ).
They declared that it was fried ( actually, in French they say "grilled" ) but that they couldn't get parts.
Long story short, they didn't know what was wrong and were not really up for going any further ( hoping I would buy a new one I guess ).
I then had a long email discourse with the manufacturer Frisbee.eu. ( Nice website, mostly in Italian )
I was going to say they weren't very helpful but reading back though it all, they were friendly and communicative enough - I couldn't really expect much more.
They insisted that it must be the battery (which I'm sure it isn't )
They didn't respond to my requests for diagnostic tips or details about the controller.
They wanted me to send it to them ( fair enough I guess )
But it is massively economically unviable to do that from here.
I also considered driving it there but that is a long way (by our European standards) and consequently also expensive.

So : I am hoping for any tips for a strategy to diagnose which bit is at fault.
I have a voltmeter and can follow instructions and happily take a thing apart methodiacally but I have virtually no knowledge of how these things work.
I am thinking it might make sense to check the throttle and brake sensors ( they must be just simple switches right ? ) since that hasn't been done yet, pretty sure the shop wouldn't have done that.

I think and hope I have added a series of illustrative photos here below ( we shall see ! )

Best wishes!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Most likely thing to be grilled, is the battery. 10 years!! that was outstanding.

But now, god knows what they broke on the thing. like the disconnected wire. Is that to the brake sensor? Bikes should run with the brake sensor wires cut.

To test the components yourself, you need a motor/throttle/ controller tester. and I'm assuming, a new battery.

Thanks Dan ...

Yes , it's age is why the manufacturer wouldn't let go about it having to be the battery but as I explained to them :

It had very very little use in all but the last 2 years of those 10. It was stored, charged in a holiday flat that was usually vacant. I inherited it with the flat and started using it in the last 2.
Doesn't the fact that it was going great guns then suddenly stopped mean that it is unlikely to be the battery?
That and the fact the battery showed no signs of deterioration prior to the sudden failure?

Yes I was looking at a test box for about €18 somewhere online ( I cannot immediately find it again ) ...
I didn't jump to buy because, with its mess of multicoloured wires and admittedly (by the seller) low on instructions, I'm not sure if it would get me into step #1.
Would you recommend a specific one?
Is there nothing that can be reliably tested / eliminated without one?

Back