• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Series /Parallel Switch, High Voltage

markass530

10 W
So since there pretty much aren't any 16S LiPoly charges out there, and I'm stuck @ 12S with the Hyperion I was going to put a Series/ Parrelell switch set up on a battery pack to turn a 16S Battery into 8S For charging. Simplest thing I Could come up with is using 2 3 Position switches, as long as I Dont frock up the order of swtiching it should work, my concern though is Finding switches that can handle 64+ Volts & 45+ Amps. Any have any experience here?

I'm in the process of making a series/parallel "switch" for a 15S pack, made from 5S LicoO2 Turnigy packs. My solution is to wire the pack balance taps (18 connections, 3 x 6 ways) to a single 25 way sub-D charging connector. I made a simple 4 pin bridge connector, using 4mm RC type barrel connectors set in a bit of Delrin sheet, that fits over (but doesn't connect to) the 25 way sub-D and this connects the + and - connections in the centre packs to put them in series for discharge. The + and - connections from the top and bottom sub packs go directly to the controller.

To charge the pack the 4 pin, high current, bridge connector has to be unplugged, giving access to the 25 way connector. Sub-D connectors are rated at 5A per pin, so by paralleling up the balance tap leads to a single 5S connection I can charge at up to 15A at a push. This means that I can charge a 15S pack with a 5S charger, and it is foolproof, as to get at the charging connector the bridge connector that hooks the sub packs up in series has to be removed, isolating the packs.

markass530 said:
thanks, but That wouldn't work on my set up

Yes it would, you'd just need to hook it up differently for the different cell count.

I Dont have access to each individual cell without being destructive, just each 4S bank,

markass530 said:
I Dont have access to each individual cell without being destructive, just each 4S bank,

No problem, it'll still work.

Out of interest, how are you going to balance the sub-packs during charge, or monitor cell state, if you can't access the inter-cell connections? You'll need to get at these inter-cell connections points somehow.

Interesting to see how the internal BMS copes with a relatively large series connected string. How do the 4 cell sub-pack BMS units communicate with the charger to let it know that one cell in the group has reached full charge cut-off voltage?

I tried something similar a few years ago, using individual cell BMS units I made up. These were essentially just voltage clamps, like those used on some consumer lithium cell packs. They worked OK on their own for a few cells in series, as long as the charger maximum voltage was carefully set to ensure that the current reduced as the cells came up to full charge and the BMS shunts kicked in. The system failed big time once I tried to build a series pack with more than half a dozen cells, though, as the variation in total pack voltage became too great, leading to occasions when the charge current through some of the activated BMS cell shunts was far too great, causing them to overheat.

The fix I used (and one that's used on a lot of multi-cell BMS units I've seen) was to have each cell monitoring circuit communicate with the charger (or just cut the charge current). This way the charge current is reduced as soon as one BMS cell shunt starts to turn on, so reducing the heat dissipation in the activated cell shunt(s) whilst allowing enough balancing charge current to flow to bring the other cells in the pack to full charge.

Anyway, back on topic. The simple RC-type plug suggestion, fitted in a block so that they can only be plugged in one way, would work for you. If you want a simpler to make high current switch connector, then take a look at gluing some Dean's Ultra connectors together. I found that these can easily be glued together, side by side, using super glue. It makes for a 70A capable multi pin connector that can only be connected one way around. The only downside is that the force needed to plug and unplug them is pretty high.

It has to be better than PP75s in a 4+ configuration If i remember correctly 50lbs of retention force per connector.

The Dean's are tough to pull apart, for sure. I reinforced the wires using hot melt glue inside heat shrink sleeving, to form a solid mechanical means of securing them and allow them to be used to pull the connector apart. They certainly wouldn't ever just fall apart! My plan was to use this connector:

Deans multiway.JPG

as both the main battery pack connector to the bike and as a series/parallel link for charging (the pack had three 5s packs and I planned to charge at 5S and discharge at 15S). In the end I switched to a different scheme, as I need to disconnect the pack frequently (every time I fold the bike) and so the high force needed was a bit a nuisance. For just a charging link, though, it has a fair bit of merit.

Looking for a high amp alternative to PP45 Andersons for my harnesses. Ill have to play around with them they do glue together perfectly dont they.

icecube57 said:
Looking for a high amp alternative to PP45 Andersons for my harnesses. Ill have to play around with them they do glue together perfectly dont they.

They do indeed, in fact it's almost as if they were designed to fit together like this. I found that the best way to keep them aligned when gluing them up was to partially mate the two sides (leave a big enough gap so as not to let excess glue get sucked in and lock them up). Ordinary super glue seemed to bond well, but this is what I did on the back (this is a scrap one I made when testing the process, that has the heat shrink cut off so I could see how well the glue had melted):

Deans multiway back.JPG

What I did was fit a bit of large heatshrink over the Deans, shrink it carefully only around the connector body, not where the wires were, then add some chopped up bits of hot melt glue stick inside the sleeving and shrink it the remainder of the way tight to the cables. The heat gun melted the hot melt glue and the shrink of the sleeving forced it all around the back of the Deans pins, forming a really tough connection.

Back