Simulation of Bicycle Frame Deflection

Teh Stork

1 kW
I've run a fair share of thermal analysis in Solid Edge, but recently I tried out features to optimize mechanical properties of parts.

I guess more would like to see this intro to optimalization in ST6, here is a tutorial to how this goes down.
[youtube]SFE2i_fLUfM[/youtube]
Solid Edge is free for students and can be downloaded from the Siemens homepage (Google it :))

After reading some papers and resources about bicycle frame design, it is hard to get a grasp of how you make the tradeoff between weight and frame stiffness.

Here is a weight optimized 600mm 50mm tube deflecting 8mm under a 100kg load. (Bad mesh, I know)
Deformation.jpg

If anyone have some tips or hints on framebuilding (before I start on a full frame), I'd be thankful if those could be shared here.

Teh Stork said:
If anyone have some tips or hints on framebuilding (before I start on a full frame), I'd be thankful if those could be shared here.

I have no frame building tips, just giving this a free bump.

What sort of frame are you planning to make and is it from 6061 alluminium as above?

jateureka said:
What sort of frame are you planning to make and is it from 6061 alluminium as above?

Thanks for the bump,

I'm looking to compare a single-strut frame against a "diamond-frame" and also against other designs. I want to simulate setups like a scooter, with rear wheel fastening on one side. I'm guessing it will be heavier, having real numbers on it would be great :). I know a full-time welder (Titanium etc, for food production) that might be interested in building something cool/innovative.

6061 or similar high strength low weight material is what I'm going for. I do think there are some grades of steel that are competitive with alu in this application, but I don't know much about them.

Back