Singapore: e-cyclist ran over her

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
[Sigh] Singapore again. "Woman's face fractured after e-cyclist ran over her":
http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/e-cyclist-jailed-5-weeks-hitting-woman-68-pavement

Man jailed five weeks after he runs over pedestrian with his e-bike.

... riding on sidewalks again... [sigh]

She (District Judge Lee Poh Choo) also felt that motorised bicycles are more dangerous than cars because, unlike drivers, riders do not need a licence to operate them.
Completely ignoring the force of energy stored up in a large, heavy, fast moving vehicle like a "car".

Story writer declares "he was travelling at an unsafe speed, he could not stop in time"... then immediately notes "The speed was not mentioned in court." ... and then notes "Tan could have been jailed up to four years and fined up to $10,000."

(Singapore stats: "road accidents involving elderly pedestrians rose 8.8 per cent to 211 in 2015, from 194 in 2014.")

LockH said:
She (District Judge Lee Poh Choo) also felt that motorised bicycles are more dangerous than cars because, unlike drivers, riders do not need a licence to operate them.
Completely ignoring the force of energy stored up in a large, heavy, fast moving vehicle like a "car".

Didn't you know Lock? If you have a thin rectangular plastic card with various symbols on it, your vehicles kinetic energy magically all vanishes.

It should be a celebration for ebikes when someone gets hit at high-speed direct to the noggin and lives to tell about it. Cars and trucks etc are far less forgiving when they hit peoples heads directly at high-speed.

LockH said:
(Singapore stats: "road accidents involving elderly pedestrians rose 8.8 per cent to 211 in 2015, from 194 in 2014.")
Yep. Pedestrians must be more dangerous than car drivers, since they don't need a license to walk. Elderly pedestrians are even more dangerous of course, if there was a license to walk they'd probably fail the exam. In fact, the statistics are proving that, the older they get the more dangerous they are: From 2014 to 2015, being only one year older, they are involved in a significantly increased number of accidents. :roll:

We have paved sidewalks on both sides of the streets where I live yet some idiots still walk in the street when there's no one on the sidewalk. Many with ear plugs in listening to music and walking with traffic instead of against it where they could see an on coming vehicle. There's no cure for stupid.

MadRhino said:
LockH said:
Yep. Pedestrians must be more dangerous than car drivers, since they don't need a license to walk. Elderly pedestrians are even more dangerous of course, if there was a license to walk they'd probably fail the exam. In fact, the statistics are proving that, the older they get the more dangerous they are: From 2014 to 2015, being only one year older, they are involved in a significantly increased number of accidents. :roll:

Pedestrians should be licensed, carry insurance, pay sidewalk crack fixing tax, and be required to wear a helmet. :p

The fingers said:
Pedestrians should be licensed, carry insurance, pay sidewalk crack fixing tax, and be required to wear a helmet. :p

A modest proposal for regulating pedestrians: http://streets.mn/2015/01/25/a-license-to-walk/

This risky business of unlicensed ambulation must be stopped, but registering shoes may be a step too far (sorry, couldn't resist that one)

"... riding on sidewalks again... [sigh]"

Might suggest the government of Singapore failed in any responsibility to protect citizens that choose to travel on its roads on small, light-weight, energy efficient vehicle that doesn't exhaust poisonous engine exhausts, forcing them onto the sidewalks because the roads are clogged with larger, heavier vehicles (many/most empty of passengers) exhausting poisonous "greenhouse" gases.

[youtube]roKeymc-m24[/youtube]

[youtube]i4u7CEagNY0[/youtube]

I read this a week beforw I came to Singapore. I fly here once a year for a work conference. Thought I'd keep an eye out for eBikes once I got here.

First things first, if anyone has not been driving in Asia before, its a different experience. In underdeveloped parts of Asia, its like death rally. For example, in Manilla, there are no lanes. You drive where you need to be. When turning out from a side street, there is no right of way. You wait for a gap and hold the horn when coming out. Thats no joke. That's the serious accepted courtesy.

In more developed nations like Singapore, its more like... hard to describe. A million polite people all trying to get somewhere like its life or death urgency. Expect normal road rules to apply - but within an inch of their limits.

Okay, that caveat given, the only eBikes I've seen here are more like electric monkey bikes. They're like 20-22" wheels where the entire hub is solid, spokes are like mag wheels, not like bicycle spokes. The frame is fairly thick bar steel or aluminium, they are not push bikes with motors. More like small motorbikes. Think converted Honda Cubs.

Given that, I still think the judges comments are out of line, but mich more understandable - unregistered motorcycle riders who ride on footpaths, or registered car drivers who can't get over 30kmh due to traffic any time when there are pedestrians around? I'll take my chances with the car.

Back