Single Speed Freak!!

Single speeds are very slightly more efficient, when that gear ratio is what you want. Even on my ebike, I still use 3 gears, because I can get off the line noticably faster in my 15 cog than my 11 cog. Oh yeah, they don't make an 11 single speed cog, so I'm forced to have gears if I want to pedal at normal speeds.

I once had a fixed gear, one fall, about 6 years ago. I was out cycling for fun/sport, and went down a hill at 38mph spinning fast, the chain popped off, jammed in the axle/hub and snapped, locking my rear wheel at full speed. I controlled it to a stop and found a long stick to "ski" my way home at 12mph. That was the night before Halloween too.

They have their place, fixies belong on the track though. I would like to build a nice lightweight SS up soon. But I prob won't ride it much since it rarely makes sense to pedal commute, unless I'm with my gf who likes going 14mph.

mrzed said:
Most of the top racers would have ridden fixed at some point in their career, because it was one of the classic old school coaching techniques to teach a rider how to pedal. It takes a lot to learn how to efficiently pedal around a circle. Most people just stomp up and down on the pedals. You can't do that on a fixie, particularly if you are clipped in - like any racer would be.

Computerized analysis of dyno's placed on the actual bike have replaced this as a coaching technique, but I bet they still try it out for the feel.

Yes, we (road cyclists) often ride fixed gears (with brakes) on the road in the winter, as part of 'base' training. I tried it once, didn't care for it too much, I like coasting. I believe it's still a popular off season training tool for us lycra crowd.

Back