SLAs - What to look for/What to avoid?

dalfollo

100 µW
I am building an e-trike with the following motor:

Motor: Mac 10T 500w/1000w (upgraded)
Controller: 9 fet 30A (36-52V IRFB3007)
Other: 20" rear wheel install, 255 rpm, 255# total weight, rider, 3x12v SLAs, trike

I am planning to start off with a 36V SLA(s) (12-14ah), then move to a 48V lithium, once I understand better my riding habits and expectations, and can review the options.

My questions is:

What do i look for specifically, in the battery specifications, to maximize its potential for an e-trike use? Are there features/specifications I should avoid?

Here are a couple options I have identified on Amazon. These are running about $30/battery for 12V 12ah (or 14ah) SLA delivered to Colorado.

A) 12V/12ah, Model: UB12120, - $27.40 Linky
B) 12v/14ah, Model: AJC Brand - $29.43 Linky
C)12/12ah X-treme Scooter Battery 3-pack Model: $80 Linky
D)12V/12ah x3, MaxLife Battery/Invacare Zoom 3-Pack, $80Linky

Do you have any suggestions regarding an online 12v SLA store or resource? I will likely charge this with a 'Save-A-Battery', or will review any recommendations.

Thanks so much!

I would recommend that you not waste your time and money on SLA.
Many Lithium systems can be thought of as modular and can be built up in blocks over time.
Lipo is very adaptable and one can build packs of various Voltages and capacities, but it will require some study and thought, chargers being a big part of the equation here.
I love my small and powerful Lipo, but I suspose it is not for everyone.
Lithium Ion is a nice "plug and play" chemistry, but is not as flexible as Lipo, nor does it offer the "bang for the buck" as Lipo.
Perhaps that was a poor choice of words.
Seriously, I feel that it is perfectly safe if handled with a reasonable amount of care.

Don't waste your money on sla battery, charger and wires plus connections a box. Plus your time.
Lead is dead...
Add up all the money for sla first. All the money.
14Ah oh sla is 8ah or 9 of use.

I appreciate the info and look forward to going lithium (and 48V, too!), but Lithium is just not happening at this time.

I do appreciate any feedback you may have on selecting a better SLA, or any recommendation if you all know of a better (or more deserving) store.

Thanks!

Well, since no ebay seller ever told a fib, those are all the best possible batteries to use with an EV. :roll: And at 2/3 the price you'd expect for a good EV battery.

Here's the deal, they will work, and should give out 6 ah of usable capacity. By the dogman 36v rule, you will have about 6 miles range, if you don't go too fast.

They will go further at first of course, but not for long if you drain them deep every cycle.

It comes down to this, how far will you go, and how fast? 6 miles at 15 mph, you should get a season out of them. 10 miles at 20 mph, will kill them in a month.

A better place than amazon or Ebay, would be to get them from a place with some reputation. Someplace not selling off old recycled batteries from the emergency lights that look brand new. Freshness is crucial for all batteries, but particularly for lead.

One example here. http://www.batteriesplus.com/products/577-0/8727-Electric-Bike-Scooter-Battery/712318-X--Treme-Scooters/XB--502-Electric-Bike/1.aspx

There may be a store you can walk right into, especially in Denver.

You can buy a 5ah 12s (44.4V, 222wh) lipo setup for $75. That will get you about the same range as a 36v 12ah sla setup and will last a heck of a lot longer. And it will weigh about 3 lbs compared to 30 lbs of sla, and the size will be less than the size of one of those sla batteries.

That depends on what part of the world you are in.
Welcome to ES****Do this before your first post or now (it's retroactive)*****
Please go to the User Control Panel, select Profile, and then enter your city, state/province, and country into the Location field (country minimum) and save it. Once done, your location will appear in every post so you won't have people asking where you are ever again. This will help people help you. Example: Wylie, TX, USA. or just USA, but country as a minimum, and country is the most important. There are many cities with the same name all over the world. Without knowing what country you are in it's hard to make any recommendations. Thank you.
I got mine here.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18631__Turnigy_5000mAh_4S1P_14_8v_20C_hardcase_pack_USA_Warehouse_.html

Expect those to be sulfated. They sent me 12 in a row badly sulfated then replacments which were partially sulfated direct from the factory. Edit: First link.

Contact them first and demand a manufacture date within six months and that anything else will be returned with a paypal and amazon complaint filed.

If they can't supply that then demand a massive discount and buy a radio pulse desulfator.

Also expect the first 5 or 6 Chinese BMS boards to fail and destroy your expensive batteries before you come across one that works.

Here are the LiPo Packs Wesnewell refers to:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...P_14_8v_20C_hardcase_pack_USA_Warehouse_.html

Buy three for a 12S - 5Ah pack (222Whrs)

Then pair it with a simple charger like this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__30917__IMAX_B6_AC_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_US_Warehouse_.html

For about $125 you have something to start with, and grow.

I am building my next pack with 12 of those same 4S hardcase packs for 24S & 10Ah for a total of almost 1kwh of battery. And they can provide 100A current if you have a motor that requires that much juice.

"What to look for/What to avoid?"

Look for anything other than lead batteries except maybe for a monohull sailboat that needs that weight in the keel. Avoid lead for anything else.

No love of lead here. I ruined my first ebikes lead pack in 30 days. But I knew I was doing that. Lead just couldn't do the length of ride I needed.

But between the advice to go lithium, note the key thing. Get you lead from a place that turns over a lot of it, so you get a fresh pack.

Back