Small Frame Vespa

Senecio

1 µW
Hi all,

New to the forum and thought I would share my recent build. This is my 1965 Vespa 50s that I've converted to electric using the kit that Retrospective Scooters has developed. It has been such a fun process building it and even more fun riding it now that it is finished.

Whilst I went with the kit I had to build my own battery as NZ laws make it almost impossible to import lithium batteries. I built a 64V 24Ah battery in a 18s8p config using Samsung 30Q cells.

There's still a few more thing to do to tidy it up and finish it completely.
  • I'm missing the front leg shield badge
  • The tail light lens needs replacing as its very old, brittle and has a few cracks through it.
  • I'd like to replace the seat as the cover is torn and it just looks a bit ratty
  • And finally it probably needs new shocks front and rear as the suspension control isn't the best. Or maybe that's how these old Vespa's roll?

IMG_0294.jpeg

Looking very nice, what about cargo carrying capabilities like a rear rack or you just using a back pack and short trips?

Wow — that’s a beautiful result. Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

I would love to see more photos of the build process along the way, and hear more thoughts about the Retrospective kit and build process. A few thousand bucks for a drop-in kit is out of budget for some people. But others would be happy to have a package that minimizes surprises and frustrations. Can you share more?

the kits are crazy expensive and then you have to ship the gear. Really the only thing your buying that most can't DIY is the SwingArm. thats a nicely built bit of kit.

Back